Author Topic: Basic question; what's in this dvd?  (Read 613 times)

Offline Trish

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 0
Basic question; what's in this dvd?
« on: April 12, 2018, 08:26:27 am »
Hi,

I'm a beginner @ stage 4. When I watch the videos about the songs of the songs book I find it difficult to follow instructions of the stuff Justin explains to regarding more advance stuff to add to the song.

So what's in this techniques? What's the structure? Is just videos explaining stuff, are they for playing along? Is there stuff that isn't covered in the course?

I'm considering buying it to spice up the training sessions, but i don't know if it's a good idea to try and focus in both changes and strumming?

Offline DarrellW

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 83
  • What on earth was I going to do???
Re: Basic question; what's in this dvd?
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2018, 09:01:18 am »
Don’t try adding the more advanced stuff just yet, I think it’s around stage 8 where that comes in, keep to the basics for now.
The structure is like it is to teach you how to play properly in easy stages so that you don’t get frustrated by complexity, keep plugging away at it and all will be good!
The DVD just elaborates a bit so it’s basically up to you whether you need it or not, put simply you’re not going to loose anything by getting it!
My singing sucks so I’m learning Guitar and Ukulele, it’s fun 🌟

Offline Trish

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2018, 12:10:21 pm »
Don’t try adding the more advanced stuff just yet, I think it’s around stage 8 where that comes in, keep to the basics for now.
The structure is like it is to teach you how to play properly in easy stages so that you don’t get frustrated by complexity, keep plugging away at it and all will be good!
The DVD just elaborates a bit so it’s basically up to you whether you need it or not, put simply you’re not going to loose anything by getting it!

Thanks for your input; yeah I try to keep it simple but I see that cool other stuff that can be done and I want to 😊
A matter of taking it slow 🐢

Offline Dr Winterbourne

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 55
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2018, 01:36:31 pm »
Just stick to one two three four for now, whilst also practicing the Strumming patterns as they come up. These things will blend eventually, and when you've finished the course, consolidating it will probably include going back and putting in some of the more advanced patterns.

Ymmv, but for me, the cream of that strumming DVD is already in the bc, in the form of the strumming patterns. If you are evperiencing difficulties in strumming, and want a remedial deep dive, then go for it. If, especially after learning #9, Old Faithful, you want more, check out the DVD.

I found the second volume, however, extremely helpful for 16th note strumming, which comes in in the IM.
Squier Custom II Telecaster, Fender Bass breaker 18/30, Yerasov GTA 15, Big Muff, Tubescreamer, Vox Wah,, Belcat Analog Delay, Phase 90,, Splash MkIII, Electric Mistress, Trelicoptor

Online DavidP

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 168
  • You're always learning about guitars-Keef Richards
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2018, 01:37:03 pm »
Thanks for your input; yeah I try to keep it simple but I see that cool other stuff that can be done and I want to 😊
A matter of taking it slow 🐢
That's wise Trish.

Keep working through the stages of the Beginner Course and let that set the pace for how you evolve the way you play the songs.  The idea is that you keep going back to songs learned in an earlier stage to refine the way you play them.  For example, once you have got to grips with triplet strumming in stage 5 then you can go back and play All My Loving from stage 2 using that strumming pattern and I think it starts to sound really good or go back to Brown Eyed Girl from stage 3 once you have learned the "old faithful" strumming pattern in stage 6.

That has worked for me though some may say it is a little bit "mechanistic" and "feeling" the pattern and rhythm is the way to play.  I struggle with that and find being quite structured has helped me to to make progress.

Just keep practicing, playing songs and having fun !!

Offline Trish

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2018, 08:32:06 pm »

That has worked for me though some may say it is a little bit "mechanistic" and "feeling" the pattern and rhythm is the way to play.  I struggle with that and find being quite structured has helped me to to make progress.

Just keep practicing, playing songs and having fun !!

I like structure too... as I find hard to focus on one thing at the time... If I have an order of method then I can be patient... that's a reason why I bought the course book, so I can follow with the schedule an orderly manner of practising... just sometimes I see stuff while watching the videos and I assume it's something that belongs to that stage...

Oh well, practice practice practice :D so funny to type this with sore fingertips in one hand, right?  ;D

Online DavidP

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 168
  • You're always learning about guitars-Keef Richards
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2018, 08:38:44 pm »
I like structure too... as I find hard to focus on one thing at the time... If I have an order of method then I can be patient... that's a reason why I bought the course book, so I can follow with the schedule an orderly manner of practising... just sometimes I see stuff while watching the videos and I assume it's something that belongs to that stage...

Oh well, practice practice practice :D so funny to type this with sore fingertips in one hand, right?  ;D
LoL ain't that the truth. And longer nails on the fingers of my right hand is also a bit odd  :)

If you are referring to song lessons then I think they always start with simple down strums and build from there. As soon as Justin starts talking about doing things you haven't come across in a lesson, then it is for future reference. I'm particularly talking about song lessons for songs in the Beginner Song Books.

Offline pkboo3

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 43
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2018, 08:46:44 pm »
I’m seeing now that I’m in stage 8 that I can go back & listen to an earlier stage lesson and can now apply what he was talking about that I couldn’t do or understand back then. I have added it in my rotational practice to go back over old lessons. It really helps. Good luck in your journey and keep us posted.

Sent from my iPhone using JustinGuitar.com Forum

Get The Forum As A Mobile App