Author Topic: 002 2018 Oasis - Live Forever  (Read 341 times)

Offline Loefgren

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 21
  • Cause I need more time yes I need more time...
002 2018 Oasis - Live Forever
« on: April 10, 2018, 09:34:48 pm »
Hello! I have participated with this song earlier but this is a new version recorded yesterday. I don't think the rules says anything about using the same song twice? When I played it didn't feel very good but when listen to it doesn't sound so bad so wanted to compete.

Recorded with built in mic on a Macbook Air and done some EQ:ing in Garageband.

https://soundcloud.com/johan-loefgren-633486415/live-forever-2018-ver1
Yamaha FG720S
BC March 2016 - Feb 2017
IM started March 29, 2017
Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCus_LSy8xc5x51NrBxMt5MQ

Offline DavidP

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 87
  • You're always learning about guitars,Keef Richards
Re: 002 2018 Oasis - Live Forever
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2018, 09:56:03 pm »
Johan,

You're sounding relaxed and fluent performing this song...I know you love Oasis and it shows in the feel you have for this song.

Well played.

Offline MrBumble

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2018, 10:01:03 pm »
Good performance. You have made me go back to listen to Oasis again.

Thanks for posting.
Guitars - Ovation Celebrity, Revelation RJT60Q.
Amplifiers -Marshall G30R CD, Fender Super Champ 25 SE, Laney A Fresco.

Offline Bytron08

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2018, 11:13:58 pm »
I enjoyed it! I can tell you like Oasis alot great band. You sound like them at times.

Offline Loefgren

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 21
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2018, 09:34:53 pm »
Thanks David, Byron and Mr Bumble.

Byron , no you're just being kind or you need to check your ears  ;D  but if you think I sound like Oasis even for a tiny part of this song I am very happy.

I think this is the first of my recordings where I feel good about the performance. Since playing isn't so d-mn hard anymore it so much easier to focus on the performance. Sure there are lots of thing to improve, strumming can be much smoother, some chords and changes are not clean at all, dynamics is pretty much non-existent and i wanna sing in a higher key but I think it sounds decent enough. Also I have practiced this song A LOT so its on auto-pilot.

Good performance. You have made me go back to listen to Oasis again.

Thanks for posting.

Wow thats a good thing if this one made you listen to Oasis again. Thanks.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2018, 09:52:04 pm by Loefgren »
Yamaha FG720S
BC March 2016 - Feb 2017

Offline batwoman

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2018, 01:11:56 am »
Great to see your progress Johan. You sound so much more relaxed and real. You're projecting your voice, singing on pitch and there's real character and mood. Strumming was the most fluent I've heard from you. You're beginning to create your own musical style wha hooo.

Offline kontenda

« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2018, 12:18:56 pm »
That was really good - liked the reverb on your voice. As others have said - you sang this really well. Guitar sounds great - clean and a nice subtle sound to it. That is something I am still having trouble with. Well done - liked it.
BC May 2015 - April 2016
Currently IM3

Offline pkboo3

« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2018, 12:19:55 pm »
Good job on this one too. With each song I hear improvement. I need to check out some Oasis. I’ve not listened to them that I recall.

Sent from my iPhone using JustinGuitar.com Forum

Offline Loefgren

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 21
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2018, 12:10:18 pm »
Thanks batwoman, Pam and kontenda. Means a lot to me that you liked it.

Batwoman: Gives confidence that you think singing is on pitch. I wanna sing a bit higher though, but cant do that yet, working on that.

Kontenda: Subtle strumming, yes that is exactly what I am trying to achieve but I have struggled badly with strumming for my first 2 years as a guitar student.

Pam, yes if you havent listened to Oasis you should do that. You can start with the Stop The Clocks Collection from 2006. Cool that my cover makes you wanna listen to them.

The eq:ing in garageband really made both the guitar and vocals sound better. Need to look more into that but my #1 focus is still on learn how to play properly.
Yamaha FG720S
BC March 2016 - Feb 2017

Offline DavidP

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 87
  • You're always learning about guitars,Keef Richards
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2018, 01:04:44 pm »
The eq:ing in garageband really made both the guitar and vocals sound better. Need to look more into that but my #1 focus is still on learn how to play properly.
I find EQ quite difficult.  Most effective move that I can hear make a difference is a high pass filter to cut the lowest frequencies.  I set that in by starting in the low mids and moving down to the point where it sounds good ... full bodied.  Almost can't hear the difference but I think it takes out some of the possible woofiness.

What might also work is to try add just a wee bit of reverb and delay.  Again just enough that it sounds better but not so much that you can hear obvious reverb and delay (unless of course that is what you want for the song).  I've found that it sounds a lot more natural, warmer than the totally dry sound, specifically the vocal.

And maybe also just a little gentle compression to raise up the level of the quietest moments.  Again I find this tough to judge...is it really better or just sounding better because it is louder overall.  A trick with compression is to try not to change the overall loudness.

All very tricky but fun to play with while continuing to learn to play.

Offline Matek

« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2018, 08:25:57 am »
Well done Johan.
You sound like you are getting more comfortable every time you post something new

Sent from my [device_name] using JustinGuitar Community mobile app

Offline phx1973

« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2018, 09:43:15 pm »
Excellent, Johan. I really liked the nice clean guitar playing. Also, good job with singing - in tune and in rhythm. Very evident from listening that you are a big Oasis fan.
BC completed August, 2016
Currently In Intermediate Method - Foundation 3
Gear: Fender Standard Tele, Gibson Les Paul Junior, Epiphone Hummingbird Pro (Acoustic), Fender Bassbreaker 15 Amp, Fender Mustang I amp

Offline redrhodie

« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2018, 12:23:39 am »
Sounds great, Johan. It's come a long way.

Sent from my Moto G (5S) Plus using Tapatalk

Offline john256

« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2018, 11:18:28 am »
Would you mind posting the link to your previous version for comparison?

It sounds fairly confident to me though the vocal processing is a bit odd - is that deliberate or just the limitation of the built-in mic?

I have thought myself about re-doing songs a year after first submitting them, to see the difference. Maybe I will next time round. But then hearing this makes me want to do this, it's such a great song!

Offline Loefgren

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 21
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2018, 12:05:59 pm »
Thanks Matek, Lynn, Tosh and John.

Matek: Not sure I feel comfortable yet, but I am glad it sounds comfortable to you.

Lynn: Thanks, still hard to sing and play at the same time, but at least its getting less hard over time.

Tosh: Really happy you can hear my love for Oasis through this performance. Thanks for the nice words about the guitar playing as well.

John: I am not sure about the vocal processing. I know very little about this. Probably my processing  have affected the vocals. Maybe added to much reverb. And yeah its a great song. Would love to hear you do it.

Here's my earlier version. I think the main difference is in the earlier version my focus was on getting through the song without making mistakes while the new one I am at least trying to focus more on the performance and playing is more on auto-pilot. 

https://youtu.be/7GXbmwQnHMA
Yamaha FG720S
BC March 2016 - Feb 2017

Get The Forum As A Mobile App