Author Topic: 002 2018 As Tears Go By (The Rolling Stones)  (Read 4799 times)

Offline DavidP

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 237
  • You're always learning about guitars-Keef Richards
Re: 002 2018 As Tears Go By (The Rolling Stones)
« Reply #45 on: May 01, 2018, 06:42:28 am »
Great song David. And congratulations on posting songs throughout the year.
You did a lot of work layering up. The drums where good and also the solo.
Well done
Appreciate you listening and for the encouraging feedback,  thanks very much.

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 437
  • Teesside, North East England.
« Reply #46 on: May 04, 2018, 11:47:20 pm »
Great all round job David.
Your dedication to improving playing, recording and mixing is immense and impressive.
Baby steps on the finger-picking and lead guitar but vital first steps to make sure you are upright and stable.
You did well with the solo to follow a structure that echoed the melody and phrasing of the lyric. It's a tried and trusted method of improvising a simple yet effective lead. There were a couple of not-so-sweet notes but overall it worked. Develop a touch of vibrato in time and you'll bring a few simple notes to life.
I agree about the berating.
At the start of a challenging line, lean away from the mic and take a big lungful of air. Add in a touch of a slurred accent for bonus points ha ha.
Great work.

Offline Fourtwo

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 39
« Reply #47 on: May 05, 2018, 01:46:54 am »
Hi David,
I see you've been going all experimental with the recording gear! Great job multi-tracking and all the elements sat nicely in the mix.Your vocals were nice and warm and were perfectly toned. I saw Batwoman's comment re diction and I have the same dilemma as you. Either we can sing in our own voice and own it or "do a Jagger" and pretend we're from the deep south of the USA, not east London! Whatever works really - for me I can't do the pretence so end up sounding a bit like Morrissey (apparently). Anyway you're showing considerable improvement in musicality, so keep it up. My only suggestions would be to transpose the song slightly higher as you struggled with some of the low notes and mix up the pace on the solo a little rather than just one note per beat.
Well done!
Neil

Offline DavidP

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 237
« Reply #48 on: May 05, 2018, 05:23:55 am »
Great all round job David.
Your dedication to improving playing, recording and mixing is immense and impressive.
Baby steps on the finger-picking and lead guitar but vital first steps to make sure you are upright and stable.
You did well with the solo to follow a structure that echoed the melody and phrasing of the lyric. It's a tried and trusted method of improvising a simple yet effective lead. There were a couple of not-so-sweet notes but overall it worked. Develop a touch of vibrato in time and you'll bring a few simple notes to life.
I agree about the berating.
At the start of a challenging line, lean away from the mic and take a big lungful of air. Add in a touch of a slurred accent for bonus points ha ha.
Great work.
Thanks Richard. I appreciate your acknowledgement of my effort and progress. Will work on that extra big in breath.

Wasn't sure what you meant by "I agree about the berating"

Edit

Just re-read and reckon that's a typo that should read "breathing"...maybe?

Offline DavidP

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 237
« Reply #49 on: May 05, 2018, 05:28:16 am »
Hi David,
I see you've been going all experimental with the recording gear! Great job multi-tracking and all the elements sat nicely in the mix.Your vocals were nice and warm and were perfectly toned. I saw Batwoman's comment re diction and I have the same dilemma as you. Either we can sing in our own voice and own it or "do a Jagger" and pretend we're from the deep south of the USA, not east London! Whatever works really - for me I can't do the pretence so end up sounding a bit like Morrissey (apparently). Anyway you're showing considerable improvement in musicality, so keep it up. My only suggestions would be to transpose the song slightly higher as you struggled with some of the low notes and mix up the pace on the solo a little rather than just one note per beat.
Well done!
Neil
Thanks Neil, appreciate your encouragement.  I'm excited to continue to develop lead playing in time...varying nkte length as you suggest,  vibrato as Close2u suggested and bends. This was my very first attempt so it was purposefully kept really simple, just to try record something that sounded ok.

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 437
  • Teesside, North East England.
« Reply #50 on: May 05, 2018, 06:47:24 am »
Darn auto correct on smartphone. Yes, breathing, not berating.

Offline DavidP

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 237
« Reply #51 on: May 05, 2018, 07:22:19 am »
Darn auto correct on smartphone. Yes, breathing, not berating.
LOL ... oh yes, auto-correct can give us a good laugh sometimes.  ;D

Offline justinguitar

• Administrator
  • Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 152
    • justinguitar.com
« Reply #52 on: May 17, 2018, 10:34:03 am »
Like the tone of your voice and I love the song, the guitar parts are working nicely together... not sure about the drums though to be honest - maybe a lighter percussive thing would work better - but maybe just taste.

Do make sure that the guitar parts are perfectly synced up - when I record parts I put the parts in different sides of my headphones so I can make sure I get the sync as spot on as I can (new one always in the right!).

But really great job! :)
"You can get help from teachers, but you are going to have to learn a lot by yourself, sitting alone in a room." Dr. Seuss

Offline DavidP

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 237
« Reply #53 on: May 17, 2018, 11:49:06 am »
Thanks Justin, appreciate you making the effort to listen and provide encouraging feedback

Get The Forum As A Mobile App