Author Topic: Pickup locations  (Read 227 times)

Offline jono

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 7
Pickup locations
« on: April 07, 2018, 07:03:08 pm »
Hi all

I have purchased yet another cheap 2nd hand guitar. ( Freshman stratocaster, the most obscure guitar ever made, it's not often Google completely fails to find info on something ).
After a few hours cleaning, adjusting and reassembling I have found the bridge pickup is faulty. I only have an old  middle pickup going spare. Are the pickups on a strat different ( the pole pieces are the same gap in the ones I have) and will a middle pickup sound OK in the bridge position.

Thanks
Jono

Sent from my [device_name] using JustinGuitar Community mobile app

Offline joueur de guitare

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 21
Re: Pickup locations
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2018, 07:42:11 pm »
Hi all

I have purchased yet another cheap 2nd hand guitar. ( Freshman stratocaster, the most obscure guitar ever made, it's not often Google completely fails to find info on something ).
After a few hours cleaning, adjusting and reassembling I have found the bridge pickup is faulty. I only have an old  middle pickup going spare. Are the pickups on a strat different ( the pole pieces are the same gap in the ones I have) and will a middle pickup sound OK in the bridge position.

Thanks
Jono

The spare pickup you have is probably totally different to the pickups in the Freshman anyway - Is it Alnico (what version?) or ceramic? Overwound or underwound?

Confuse yourself further here. https://www.fender.com/articles/gear/a-guide-to-fender-single-coil-stratocaster-pickups

Or just try it, and see what it sounds like :)
Guitars. Fender Highway 1 Tele: Fender Shortboard LE Mustang: Ibanez AS73 semi-hollow: Ibanez SR370 bass: Squier Affinity Strat: Squier Jagmaster.

Offline jono

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 7
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2018, 07:58:06 pm »
There was no description on any of the pickups when I checked the wiring.
I will loosen the new strings and try get the pick guard out again. Can't believe I did not try the guitar plugged in before dismantling it.

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 21
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2018, 08:04:31 pm »
There was no description on any of the pickups when I checked the wiring.

There won't be.

Don't over think it. Fit the spare, see what it sounds like like.
Guitars. Fender Highway 1 Tele: Fender Shortboard LE Mustang: Ibanez AS73 semi-hollow: Ibanez SR370 bass: Squier Affinity Strat: Squier Jagmaster.

Offline jono

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 7
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2018, 08:24:02 pm »
Thanks, I will give it a go. I just wanted to make sure it wasn't a bad idea before I started.

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 21
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2018, 08:27:27 pm »
It's not going to hurt anything, and if it sounds pants you can pull it out again. Use yer ears ;)

Get The Forum As A Mobile App