Author Topic: Give Me Oil In My Lamp - Special Cover!  (Read 3367 times)

Offline LBro

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 93
  • Well I am working on it.
    • YouTube offerings
Give Me Oil In My Lamp - Special Cover!
« on: April 05, 2018, 09:46:12 pm »
Hi,
Welcome to GMO (Give Me Oil In My Lamp), the longest project Roman and I have ever done to date. Your looking literally at about 7 months of work, mainly in the audio realm and getting all the vocalists tracked with their busy schedules..

I really felt Roman would never do such a song as this but I think once he found out what it was about he was “in”. This is a special song that had 3 generations of 6 vocalists in it and this took a long time to coordinate. From 2 granddaughters under 10 to my 3 daughters who are adults and myself as a grandad. Add in Leo, Roman and Victor to fill out this roster and you have GMO as we call it. See credits at the end of the video for who did what.

This song is special because I did it with my daughters back when they were under 10 about 30 years ago for a large audience. So now my daughter’s kids are in this version. This will be handed down to the next generation so their kids can hear mom, gramma and great grandpa when they come to be. But that is not the extend of play for this one. I played this for my friend who is a DJ and has a weekly radio show. He had not heard this song in about 40 years and wants to end one of his radio shows with it. So if that goes down then this will get radio play as well. If that happens I will try and snag an on air copy of the song and DJ comments for you to hear in another post – “stay tuned” as they say in the business!.

Video beach scenes shot on location in Kona Hawaii!

Pay special attention to “Take it away Girls" @ about 1:13 in the video. See Verse 2 below, I think these vocalists stole the show. Too bad they both had colds.

In MHO Victor smokes on Lead Guitar!
Leo lends his new acoustic guitar to the mix too!
Roman – Well, without him this does not happen!
Thanks guys!

Family of Girls and Women Vocalists!
Thanks Gals!

https://youtu.be/X5CIr0EUwJ8

Hope you enjoy this up temp cover - lyrics below,
The GMO Crew & LBro

GMO LYRICS

VERSE 1
Give me oil in lamp, keep me burning
Give me oil in lamp I pray, Hallelujah
Give me oil in lamp, keep me burning
Keep me burning till the break of day

CHORUS 1
I will Sing Ho-san-na!
Sing ho-san-na! Sing ho-san-na
To the king of kings
Sing ho-san-na! Sing ho-san-na!
Sing ho-san-na, To the king of kings
OH Yeah!

Take it away Girls!

VERSE 2 – 2ea 10 years old & under granddaughters, with colds…
Give me unction in my gumption
Let me function, function, function
Give me unction in my gumption I pray
Hallelujah
Give me unction in my gumption
Let me function, function, function
Let me function till the break of day
Oh Yeah!

CHORUS 2
I will Sing Ho-san-na!
Sing ho-san-na! Sing ho-san-na
To the king of kings
I will Sing ho-san-na! Sing ho-san-na!
Sing ho-san-na, To the king of kings
OH Yeah!

Whoa!

VERSE 3
Give me gas for my Ford,
keep me trukin' for the Lord
Give me gas for my Ford I pray
Hallelujah
Give me gas for my Ford,
keep me trukin' for the Lord
Keep me truckin' till the,
break of day
Oh Yeah!
You can rock a bit here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNOrtongjfX4RI33JWKwn7Q/featured

"I just experiment in guitar and music, at times something good comes of it..."
LB

Offline Fox Cunning

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 63
  • You are reading this line of text.
    • SoundCloud
Re: Give Me Oil In My Lamp - Special Cover!
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2018, 10:29:33 pm »
Congrats for your long project :) There's a lovely story and lots of heart behind it.

Offline DavidP

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 217
  • You're always learning about guitars-Keef Richards
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2018, 10:39:13 pm »
Hey LB

Special indeed. Well done to all, for the performances and for seeing it through.

I really enjoyed your take on this classic. Rocks along with a hint of country. All the singers delivered, for sure.  Also good job on the video.

Good luck getting the radio airplay.

Offline tobyjenner

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 115
  • You're never too old to Rock'n'Roll
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2018, 10:57:25 pm »
Blimey LB I thought you'd put this to rest, as it seems ages since you bounced an earlier version past me. Wow that's got to be a record for Roman, what a testament to his support for your song that he's been there all along. Well I'm glad the two of you stayed the course. Its a great family colab and wonderfully put together. Musical links across the generations is a special thing but to perform as one is beautiful.
Thanks for sharing.

Cheers

Toby
 8)

PS when the dust settles after my mother's funeral maybe the 3 of us should hook up as we've discussed. Really need to get my "stuff" back on track. Be good Dave  ;) 
Arrived here Mar 2013 Since completed BC, RUST 1 & 2, IM and MTMS Now on Blues Rhythm and Blues Lead
My Soundcloud : https://soundcloud.com/tobyjenner/
Roadcase : https://justinguitarcommunity.com/index.php?topic=39537.msg339454#msg33945

Offline oldhead49

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 124
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2018, 01:47:54 am »
LBro, The wait was definitely worthwhile.  Homerun, grandslam!!!  You and the team are to be commended for a really top-shelf production here.  Not only are the vocals and instrumentation top shelf, the message of this song, while light and airy, is deep and meaningful.  It's exciting about the air time this can get, too, and I look forward to your updates in that regard.  Again, just top-shelf, and kudos to all of you.  This is truly a "Special Cover".

Offline LBro

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 93
    • YouTube offerings
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2018, 02:39:15 am »
Congrats for your long project :) There's a lovely story and lots of heart behind it.

Thanks Fox for stopping by and the kind words! Yep a ton of heart in this one. Mind you we did not work 7 months non stop on this. It just took that long to track all the singers. Again, thanks for the spin!

Rockin' another way...
LB
You can rock a bit here:

LB

Offline LBro

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 93
    • YouTube offerings
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2018, 02:41:40 am »
Hey LB

Special indeed. Well done to all, for the performances and for seeing it through.

I really enjoyed your take on this classic. Rocks along with a hint of country. All the singers delivered, for sure.  Also good job on the video.

Good luck getting the radio airplay.

Thanks David for the spin and kind words. It means a lot but yes it was a long haul. IMHO it came out pretty well production wise and the video I will take your word on... LOL
Rocking one day at a time,
LB
You can rock a bit here:

LB

Offline pkboo3

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 48
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2018, 03:36:08 am »
I loved it, LBro. Something from the heart is always special. I too loved the video. You all did a fantastic job on this.

Sent from my iPhone using JustinGuitar.com Forum

Offline MrBumble

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 17
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2018, 08:01:19 am »
There's one thing you can say for this forum, it has variety!

What a fantastic production of a pretty good sing along praise song - we've used it for open air services from time to time.

I love the generational thing and I can imagine how much work and co-ordination went in to pulling it all together.

Thank you so much for sharing this, it has got my day off to a good start.

Sing Hosanna indeed!
Guitars - Gretsch 5120, Ovation Celebrity, Revelation RJT60Q.
Pedals - TC Polytune 2, Mooer BluesCrab, Boss CE5 Chorus, Boss RC3 Looper, TC Flashback 2
Amplifiers - Fender Super Champ 25 SE, Laney A Fresco, Marshall G30R CD,

Offline DarrellW

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 94
  • What was I doing?
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2018, 08:44:39 am »
What a great song to wake up to this grey Friday morning here in the UK, really put a smile on my face!!!
My singing sucks so I’m learning Guitar and Ukulele, it’s fun 🌟

Offline LBro

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 93
    • YouTube offerings
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2018, 11:19:56 am »
Blimey LB I thought you'd put this to rest, as it seems ages since you bounced an earlier version past me. Wow that's got to be a record for Roman, what a testament to his support for your song that he's been there all along. Well I'm glad the two of you stayed the course. Its a great family colab and wonderfully put together. Musical links across the generations is a special thing but to perform as one is beautiful.
Thanks for sharing.
Cheers
Toby
 8)

PS when the dust settles after my mother's funeral maybe the 3 of us should hook up as we've discussed. Really need to get my "stuff" back on track. Be good Dave  ;)

Blimey? LOL – I think I know what that means! Yes, this project was a bit long in the tooth for sure Toby! Roman was a trouper and I warned him up front this one will take a while. I had no idea it would be 7 odd months long… Our ship stayed the course for sure but had to weather some storms along the way. No big, we got there in the end, safe and sound! Pun intended!

Toby I hear a heavy heart sharing about you Mother’s funeral. If I can be of any assistance, let me know! You know where to find me my friend.

I try my best to “be good” but in honesty I always aim to be true and honest.

You are welcome on sharing, our pleasure. Yes, maybe we can cobble together a collaboration one day.  ;)

All my rocking best to you and yours!  :)
LB
You can rock a bit here:

LB

Offline LBro

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 93
    • YouTube offerings
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2018, 11:30:58 am »
LBro, The wait was definitely worthwhile.  Homerun, grandslam!!!  You and the team are to be commended for a really top-shelf production here.  Not only are the vocals and instrumentation top shelf, the message of this song, while light and airy, is deep and meaningful.  It's exciting about the air time this can get, too, and I look forward to your updates in that regard.  Again, just top-shelf, and kudos to all of you.  This is truly a "Special Cover".

Hi OH!
Good things can take time to brew up Sir! Thanks for the kudos for sure and that is speaking from ALL of us. Ha – an out of parker homer might throw a few OH, for sure! I think what you mean is that we did our level best! Some call this “my” song, but I can honestly say that without Roman and the crews help there is no way this would have come to pass, PERIOD!

You know OH you not only have a golden voice but your insight is up there as well. Keep sight of that as it has and will serve you well.

A special cover is something I can agree with you fully on. I almost was teary when posting as I thought of the sick little girls doing their collective level best for the song and “Grandpa”. They tried so hard and it really showed IMHO….

All my rocking best to you and yours! I guess I give you a pass on "Suzi-Q". But I like the way you walk and the way you walk there Suzi-Q... yeah JF sang that with gusto for sure! Hope the best on this one for you too OH.
LB
You can rock a bit here:

LB

Offline LBro

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 93
    • YouTube offerings
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2018, 11:37:57 am »
I loved it, LBro. Something from the heart is always special. I too loved the video. You all did a fantastic job on this.

You and I are in the same boat on sharing from the heart there pkboo… Thanks on the video, kind of simple but is something to look at for sure. Still waiting for the day all agree to “show their mugs” online. But at the same time the Internet is not the innocent place it once was. No matter, we simply do the best we can.

We, the crew thank you for the listen and your kind words!

May you be in good stead as you rock on!
LB
You can rock a bit here:

LB

Offline LBro

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 93
    • YouTube offerings
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2018, 11:49:49 am »
There's one thing you can say for this forum, it has variety!

What a fantastic production of a pretty good sing along praise song - we've used it for open air services from time to time.

I love the generational thing and I can imagine how much work and co-ordination went in to pulling it all together.

Thank you so much for sharing this, it has got my day off to a good start.

Sing Hosanna indeed!

Mr. B – you are spot on I think in your saying about “variety”. For me I think there is also a lot of diversity as well.

Wow – Great to hear you know this one and use it in your services! Did you know it is now PD? I think it is over 50 years old now and has gone to the Public Domain.

Spot on about the work and co-ordination, very much a time consuming challenge for under 3 minutes of “product”, LOL   ;)

Glad your day is starting well… as the song says – “till the break of day”.

Ha on “sing Hosanna indeed!” – Uh the wife has this song stuck in her head and is humming it all the time now! – That is a rare thing indeed!

Take care as I always find you thoughts insightful!  :)
LB
You can rock a bit here:

LB

Offline LBro

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 93
    • YouTube offerings
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2018, 11:54:04 am »
What a great song to wake up to this grey Friday morning here in the UK, really put a smile on my face!!!

Darrell,
Thanks so much from the crew and I for starting your day with this and the very kind words. Speaking for them (the crew) and me, we are appreciative of you and your kind feedback!

Keep on rockin’ as you best know how and in your own ways!
LB
You can rock a bit here:

LB

Get The Forum As A Mobile App