Author Topic: New Bedroom Set Up?  (Read 6092 times)

Offline J.W.C.

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 30
Re: New Bedroom Set Up?
« Reply #45 on: April 25, 2018, 04:41:19 am »
I've been getting good use out of the Keeley D&M drive. It's a dual pedal with a boost and a drive. The boost is kinda Klon-ish, but perhaps with more pronounced mids. The drive is kinda OCDish. You can stack them (in either order) or use them independently. It gives you a lot of options and works well with a variety of amps.

If you're wanting a single Klon-ish kind of pedal, I like the Tumnus and the Archer. If you're on a tight budget, a decent option is the Soul Food.

Offline TheCasual

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 21
« Reply #46 on: April 25, 2018, 08:17:51 pm »
I've been getting good use out of the Keeley D&M drive. It's a dual pedal with a boost and a drive. The boost is kinda Klon-ish, but perhaps with more pronounced mids. The drive is kinda OCDish. You can stack them (in either order) or use them independently. It gives you a lot of options and works well with a variety of amps.

If you're wanting a single Klon-ish kind of pedal, I like the Tumnus and the Archer. If you're on a tight budget, a decent option is the Soul Food.

I've been looking at the the Tumus.

I follow That Pedal Show and have looked at the D&M drive.

Another one I've thought about is a King Of Tone Clone.
Fender Modern Player Jaguar,
Fender Squier AffinityHSS Stratocaster
Vintage V100, Epiphone Dove Pro
Fender Mustang 1, Peavey Vypyr 30
Started the guitar journey 10th Janaury 2013.

Offline Cue Zephyr

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 90
  • Who's picking the banjo here?
    • Ezyo Music
« Reply #47 on: April 25, 2018, 09:22:39 pm »
Another one I've thought about is a King Of Tone Clone.
I suppose you've seen their video on pedals similar to the King of Tone? The Lovepedal Amp11 comes to mind. Although at that point you might as well jsut get a King of Tone because they're technically cheaper.
Guitar, banjo, mandolin and piano, bass and percussion only when needed
Production and mixing

Offline J.W.C.

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 30
« Reply #48 on: April 26, 2018, 03:25:53 pm »
I don't have a King of Tone, but I did pick up a Prince of Tone. It's a good pedal (kinda like one side of a King of Tone).

Offline Cue Zephyr

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 90
    • Ezyo Music
« Reply #49 on: April 26, 2018, 07:50:14 pm »
I don't have a King of Tone, but I did pick up a Prince of Tone. It's a good pedal (kinda like one side of a King of Tone).
Apparenlty they're quite different. I think TPS compared them. The Lovepedal Amp11 I mentioned comes very close, it seems ever so slightly less middy than the King of Tone.
Production and mixing

Offline TheCasual

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 21
« Reply #50 on: April 28, 2018, 09:13:14 am »
I'm still looking for a overdrive pedal. It really is a mindfield.

Also I've not thought about power or a actually pedal board yet.
Fender Modern Player Jaguar,
Fender Squier AffinityHSS Stratocaster
Vintage V100, Epiphone Dove Pro
Fender Mustang 1, Peavey Vypyr 30
Started the guitar journey 10th Janaury 2013.

Offline CT

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 67
    • YouTube
« Reply #51 on: April 28, 2018, 04:27:32 pm »
Have you experimented with the overdriven sounds that you can dial up right now with your Fender & Peavey amps? You have two of the best modeling amps available sitting right in front of you. Once you find the sound you like, it should be fairly easy to approximate it with an external pedal.

Offline Majik

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 122
« Reply #52 on: April 28, 2018, 06:23:43 pm »
I would second this.

You should have enough tones in your existing two amps (both of which are decent) to get an idea of what you want from distortion.

The trick is to not use the presets. Build yourself a patch from the ground up, selecting just an amp and cabinet to start with, getting the sort of tone you want with that (with the sort of overdrive you want), and then add a distortion/OD pedal model to it, and play with the settings of that, including the model of pedal being emulated.

It's not going to be 100%, but it will put you in the ball-park.

I would also suggest getting the amp and cabinet first too. The Bugera G5 has a pretty decent overdriven channel already, and even the clean channel can get a quite sweet crunch going on if you dime the gain.

EDIT: Sorry, getting confused between the Bugera and the Katana; the Bugera doesn't have a gain on the clean channel. By the way, when you do decide on gain pedals, the clean channel makes a pretty good platform for them.

I have my Boss GT-1 connected to the G5 as it gives me a good selection of gain options as well as a tuner and a looper, and I sometimes use this on the clean channel. Other times I disable the GT-1 (I have a preset called "Bypass" with everything turned off) and use the dirty channel on the G5.

It's not going to be enough if you are after high-gain tones, but it may be good enough for you, depending on what you play.

In other words: use your ears, rather than trying to spec out a setup on paper, based largely on other people's opinions/sense of fashion.

I love That Pedal Show, but a huge percentage of their explorations really don't apply to me or to most other "bedroom" setups. They mostly base what they do on boutique and high-end setups for studio recording and gigging.

As an example, in their "Thoughts On Low Volume & Home (Bedroom) Tones" they explored a setup comprising a Hamstead Soundworks Artist 60+ handwired Head, a Fryette Power Station, and a Hamstead 2x12 Cabinet with an fulltone OCD pedal. It gives a fantastic tone, but it bloody should for the £3.5k it cost. I'm sorry, but that isn't a typical "bedroom setup".

To be fair, they don't suggest it is.

But, in that same video, they compare the £3.5k setup with a "small amp"; a Fender Bassbreaker 15W tube amp, which most of us wouldn't suggest as a "bedroom amp" either.

My point is that the vast majority of what they do is tweaking with high-end gear which is totally inappropriate for bedroom/home use. They do, occasionally, give a nod to gear which is appropriate, like the Yamaha THR10 but, most of the time, they are talking about setups that are really only appropriate for studio or high-end gigging use.

At the end of the day, anything that inspires us to play is a good thing. But there's a danger in watching Youtube shows like "That Pedal Show", or reading people on forums playing Top Trumps with their gear, to be fooled into believing that the kit you have isn't good enough, and that you need to get better stuff to get some mythical tone.

I totally get it if you are one of those people who doesn't like the complexity of modelling stuff; in another  "That Pedal Show" video, Mick admitted that he avoid a lot of the technology as it required too much "head space" which took away from playing and practicing.

You have some great tones available to you in the kit you have. At bedroom volumes you can probably get tones which are very close to what you can get from a decent low-wattage tube amp, with some tweaking.

But it's the "with some tweaking" where the problem is for many people.  Menus and patches and all that goes with it can take too much "head-space".

(This is a well understood phenomenon. Check out The Paradox of Choice)

There is something to be said for the simplicity of a straightforward non-modelling amp and an overdrive/distortion/boost pedal.

But, at the same time it's advisable to not get too caught up in babble that trickles down from the high-end tweakers.

My advice is to get the tube amp/cab if you must (been there, done that, I get it!) and then learn how to use that and how it sounds before you start buying pedals that you aren't sure you will even need.

Use your existing modelling amps to experiment with stuff outside of that to get an idea of the sort of things you want by building a few of your own patches from the ground up, and then use that knowledge to inform your purchases.

And, above all, if you get the opportunity to visit a guitar shop and try some stuff out, that's the best way.

Cheers,

Keith
« Last Edit: April 29, 2018, 01:03:50 pm by Majik »
Guitars: PRS Singlecut S2, Fender Tele Lite Ash, G&L Legacy Tribute, Freshman Apollo 2 OCBX
Amps: Bugera G5 Head, Boss Katana 100
All sorts of other stuff.

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 434
  • Teesside, North East England.
« Reply #53 on: April 28, 2018, 10:23:34 pm »
As this thread veered off into an fx discussion several pages back I'm moving it to the effects section

Offline Cue Zephyr

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 90
    • Ezyo Music
« Reply #54 on: April 28, 2018, 11:20:37 pm »
I would like to add to Keith's statement about Mick avoiding complex technology. If you pay attention, he can hardly use the G2 loop switcher that they use in every episode. Perfectly proves his point. I believe he said in som eother videos that he likes pedals that have presets so he doesn't have to think about everything too much when gigging.
Production and mixing

Offline Majik

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 122
« Reply #55 on: April 29, 2018, 11:59:43 am »
Watch his facial expressions and body language in their recent video about MIDI control of pedals "Introduction To MIDI For Guitar Pedals & How To Use It"

(aka "how to turn individual pedals into a MultiFX system ;) )

Cheers,

Keith
« Last Edit: April 29, 2018, 01:08:24 pm by Majik »
Guitars: PRS Singlecut S2, Fender Tele Lite Ash, G&L Legacy Tribute, Freshman Apollo 2 OCBX
Amps: Bugera G5 Head, Boss Katana 100
All sorts of other stuff.

Get The Forum As A Mobile App