Author Topic: New Bedroom Set Up?  (Read 3079 times)

Offline CT

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 43
    • SoundCloud
Re: New Bedroom Set Up?
« Reply #30 on: April 15, 2018, 05:14:05 pm »
The attenuator for my tube amp was more than that. Why am I doing this again? ::)
Someone with unwavering allegiance to tube amps would have to answer that, unless you are that someone and the question was rhetorical. :)

I found info on the Monoprice 5 Watt tube amp, which runs right at $100 US. Note that I have no first hand experience with this amp, but consider it to be something worth looking into.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2018, 09:41:08 pm by CT »

Offline Cue Zephyr

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 88
  • Who's picking the banjo here?
« Reply #31 on: April 15, 2018, 10:01:57 pm »
Someone with unwavering allegiance to tube amps would have to answer that, unless you are that someone and the question was rhetorical. :)
I don't think I've seen your name that much. You may not have seen mine. Yes I am that person. :)

Ever since I got my first tube amp I was hooked and I'm not letting go anytime soon. It's not even based on sound. Tube amsp are romantic more than anything else at this point.

Point I'm trying to make to stay on topic is that if you're that person, you won't escape! ;D
Guitar, banjo, mandolin and piano, bass and percussion only when needed
Production and mixing

Offline CT

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 43
    • SoundCloud
« Reply #32 on: April 15, 2018, 11:03:31 pm »
I don't think I've seen your name that much.

No worries, I'm somewhat forgettable and still feeling my way around. That said, there will certainly be no Mustang amp love from you. LOL

Offline J.W.C.

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 24
« Reply #33 on: April 16, 2018, 04:57:28 am »
Ever since I got my first tube amp I was hooked and I'm not letting go anytime soon...
...Something about a Strymon and Analogman....

You have good taste. :)

Offline Cue Zephyr

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 88
« Reply #34 on: April 16, 2018, 01:58:56 pm »
No worries, I'm somewhat forgettable and still feeling my way around. That said, there will certainly be no Mustang amp love from you. LOL
Nothing personal, I've been active here for many years and you just run into certain names more often than others. ;)

Maybe not Mustang, but I have a Yamaha THR10 I'm really quite fond of. I probably wouldn't hesitate over a Boss Katana either if I needed one.

You have good taste. :)
I know, but thanks anyway. ::)
Production and mixing

Offline TheCasual

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 21
« Reply #35 on: April 18, 2018, 09:34:34 pm »
Looking at pedals now. It's so confusing haha.

What I'm looking at for the start is a overdrive, reverb, delay and a multi effect modulation pedal.

I think I've settled on the Mooer Mod Factory, tc electronic Flashback 2 Delay and tc electronic Hall of Fame 2, but I'm stuck on the overdrive.

I'll be adding a wah, boost and a fuzz at a later date.
Fender Modern Player Jaguar,
Fender Squier AffinityHSS Stratocaster
Vintage V100, Epiphone Dove Pro
Fender Mustang 1, Peavey Vypyr 30
Started the guitar journey 10th Janaury 2013.

Offline DarrellW

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 83
  • What on earth was I going to do???
« Reply #36 on: April 19, 2018, 07:49:40 am »
As you’re looking at Mooer fx have a look at the Donner fx and at the reviews on Intheblues YT channel, I’m using a Blues driver, Verb square, Echo square, Mod square and Harmonic square through a Hotone Mojo Diamond nano legacy amp (Fender type sounds) and a home built 1x10 speaker, it’s proved to be a great setup for practicing and learning how fx works although I shall probably upgrade to a 1x12 speaker at some stage. The whole setup cost me around £300 all in so not an expensive setup at all and it does most of what I want.
My singing sucks so I’m learning Guitar and Ukulele, it’s fun 🌟

Offline Cue Zephyr

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 88
« Reply #37 on: April 19, 2018, 11:42:43 pm »
I'm stuck on the overdrive.
Just get something. Like with everything, you need something to get started on and only through time and experimentation you'll find out if it's your thing or not. I've owned five overdrive/boost pedals and have kept two of them (King of Tone and OCD). I think overdrives are even more of a personal thing than other effects, especially since overdrive is so ubiquitous and there's so many out there.

Maybe get started with something like a Digitech Bad Monkey or an EHX Soul Food? If you can pin-point a sound you'd like to approximate that would certainly help narrow it down.

Me personally, I'm not approximating anything because I'm pretty sure either nobody or very few people run the same basic rig as I do.
Production and mixing

Offline TheCasual

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 21
« Reply #38 on: April 20, 2018, 08:13:07 pm »
Just get something. Like with everything, you need something to get started on and only through time and experimentation you'll find out if it's your thing or not. I've owned five overdrive/boost pedals and have kept two of them (King of Tone and OCD). I think overdrives are even more of a personal thing than other effects, especially since overdrive is so ubiquitous and there's so many out there.

Maybe get started with something like a Digitech Bad Monkey or an EHX Soul Food? If you can pin-point a sound you'd like to approximate that would certainly help narrow it down.

Me personally, I'm not approximating anything because I'm pretty sure either nobody or very few people run the same basic rig as I do.

I'm not sure what type of overdrive I want. Tube Screamer, plexi, dumble or Klon style.

The tone I have in my head is that spluttery front pick up strat sound.

Offline CT

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 43
    • SoundCloud
« Reply #39 on: April 21, 2018, 04:05:04 am »
@TheCasual, your sig says you have a Mustang I and a Peavey Vypyr, so you should be able to dial up a ton of different overdrive sounds. The Mustang has modeling built in based on the Ibanez Tube Screamer. Take a look at the Fender Fuse software and some of the downloadable pre-sets from the Fender site. So many tones, so little time! The compelling reason at this point to buy pedals would be to put some tone tweaks in front of a looper. Otherwise, you should have just about everything you need already.

Offline Cue Zephyr

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 88
« Reply #40 on: April 22, 2018, 12:19:44 am »
I'm not sure what type of overdrive I want. Tube Screamer, plexi, dumble or Klon style.

The tone I have in my head is that spluttery front pick up strat sound.
I'm thinking OCD or RAT. Something right in that grey area of fuzz and overdi rve. That's the first thing I think of when I read spluttery, but it might be a little on the aggressive side.

I'm generalizing A LOT here, but if you want a smooth, clear and articulate tone, you want a Dumble or Klon style distortion/boost/overdrive. They emphasize midrange and are very smooth in character. They work well on their own through clean amps. Definitely not spluttery, IMO. Pedals like: J Rockett Dude or Archer, Ceriatone Centura, RYRA Klone, Lovepedal Zendrive.

I regard Tube Screamer type pedals as more honky, also emphasis on midrange, but to further drive tube amps into clipping. I guess you can kind of get a spluttery neck pickup Strat tone with that, but it's different than the first idea I described. To me it sounds more organic and raw if that's what you want. There's a million clones besides the Tube Screamer, but a Mini Tube Screamer would be a great start. The King of Tone I use lives (IMO) somewhere in between the Tube Screamer and the Klon camps. It's very clear, with some mid-emphasis but it can still get quite gritty.

A plexi-type distortion into a clean amp would work well too. It's sort of a similar idea as the one I described before this, just different character. I don't know any plexi-style distortions other than the Wampler offerings which are pricey.

My point is... not a point. Just get out there, listen to some demos on YouTube, pick your favorites and go try them out in a store or actually buy them and sell them if you don't like them. The latter is what I do. For me it's the only way to really see if it's working or not.
Production and mixing

Offline TheCasual

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 21
« Reply #41 on: April 24, 2018, 08:14:18 pm »
That is the setup I have in our main music room. It's a great setup if you get the right cab.

I highly recommend the Harley Benton 1x12 cab with vintage Celestion speaker as a great pairing (not to mention an amazing bargain).

Cheers,

Keith

Sent from my [device_name] using JustinGuitar Community mobile app

Could you tell me what style of amp the Bugera G5 is? Vox, Fender, Marshall?

Offline Majik

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 86
« Reply #42 on: April 24, 2018, 08:43:35 pm »
I would say somewhere between Fender and Marshall, but a bit more towards Marshall than anything.

If you were to compare it to anything then the Blackstar HT-5 is the thing.

Like the HT series, it has a "morph" control which changes the tone, from "US style" (supposedly Fender like) to "British style" (Marshall like). Frankly it's an approximation, and you aren't going to get it sounding like a cranked Blues Jr or JCM800, but it is useful to give tonal variety.

Cheers,

Keith

Guitars: PRS Singlecut S2, Fender Tele Lite Ash, G&L Legacy Tribute, Freshman Apollo 2 OCBX
Amps: Bugera G5 Head, Boss Katana 100
All sorts of other stuff.

Offline TheCasual

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 21
« Reply #43 on: April 24, 2018, 09:09:25 pm »
I would say somewhere between Fender and Marshall, but a bit more towards Marshall than anything.

If you were to compare it to anything then the Blackstar HT-5 is the thing.

Like the HT series, it has a "morph" control which changes the tone, from "US style" (supposedly Fender like) to "British style" (Marshall like). Frankly it's an approximation, and you aren't going to get it sounding like a cranked Blues Jr or JCM800, but it is useful to give tonal variety.

Cheers,

Keith

Thanks for that information.

I'm just trying to work what overdrive to would work with it well. I've been binge watch That Pedal Show over the last few days  ;D

Offline Cue Zephyr

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 88
« Reply #44 on: April 24, 2018, 11:19:52 pm »
By that description, I would say any of the Klon-type pedals. Something to add a little volume and smooth gain to your core tone.
Production and mixing

Get The Forum As A Mobile App