Author Topic: New Bedroom Set Up?  (Read 5065 times)

Offline TheCasual

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 21
New Bedroom Set Up?
« on: April 04, 2018, 09:25:03 pm »
I've been thinking about this for a while.

I'm gasing for new  bedroom setup.

So what would be better. A cheaper guitar like a MIM Strat with a small tube amp and a mini pedal board or most expensive guitar like MIA Strat with a modeling amp like a Boss Katana?

My budget would be around £1400ish. 
Fender Modern Player Jaguar,
Fender Squier AffinityHSS Stratocaster
Vintage V100, Epiphone Dove Pro
Fender Mustang 1, Peavey Vypyr 30
Started the guitar journey 10th Janaury 2013.

Offline Johan217

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 29
Re: New Bedroom Set Up?
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2018, 10:01:40 pm »
What do you expect from a new setup? What do you want it to do that you cannot do with your current guitar and amp? Because I don't think either of the two options will result in a massively better sound. I would suggest to go for a true upgrade: tube amp + multi FX unit (this will make the most difference) , then save up for the MIA Strat.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2018, 10:47:46 pm by Johan217 »
Guitars: Chevy LP-C (1991), Squier VM Jaguar (2015)
Amp: Fender Mustang I v2 (2015)

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 416
  • Teesside, North East England.
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2018, 11:47:50 pm »
It does depend on what you want.
MIM Strats are very good ... though many folk upgrade the pickups / hardware & some still wonder whether the body is 5-piece not 2 or 3 and whether that makes it worse.
Small tube amps are great - but only at their best when cranked and in a bedroom that's not feasible really.
Katanas are terrific and can be notched down to lower wattage.
MIA Strats are the holy grail for some though they're not all the same.
With your budget I would probably go MIA & Katana ... or Classic Player (top MIM) & Katana.
Or, look to G&L for your Strat desires ... a Legacy is like a vintage Strat and an S500 is a Strat with more oomph in the engine.

Offline jono

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 15
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2018, 07:28:21 am »
In the long run you are most likely to end up with what you probably want now, a MIA, a pedal board and a tube amp. (Guitar wise once you want something you tend to end up with it eventually ).
So I would buy the MIA and tube amp now and add pedals as money becomes available. Not sure about a tube amp for bedroom use though unless you can switch the wattage.

Sent from my [device_name] using JustinGuitar Community mobile app

Offline DarrellW

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 90
  • What was I doing?
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2018, 07:57:33 am »
If you really want a tube amp then that’s the way to go, I only went down the solid state route because the amp I got would do Bass Electric Acoustic and MP3 (Blackstar ID core BEAM); I didn’t want 3 amps!
Don’t go over 5W output unless you intend to gig with it and even at 5W you may need a power soaker to get the volume suitable for bedroom use.
https://www.gear4music.com/Guitar-and-Bass/Bugera-Power-Soak-Passive-100-Watt-Guitar-Amp-Power-Attenuator/223F?origin=product-ads&utm_campaign=PLA+Shop+-+Bugera&utm_medium=vertical_search&network=google&adgroup=1+-+Product+Level+-+Bugera&merchant_id=1279443&product_id=96027d1&product_country=GB&product_partition_id=112448932639&gclid=CjwKCAjw75HWBRAwEiwAdzefxEfgMckNVNwLth7ScLPb6kaBsu8CyJiWQKqsUadBLOFrC5gwYz_PaxoC0WAQAvD_BwE
For your pedals take a look at the Donner range, they are amazing value for money and work really well, for reviews take a look at Intheblues YT channel, he does honest reviews!
Guitar.... well MIM strats are OK but for not much more the GL legacy leaves them for dead, much better option IMHO!
My singing sucks so I’m learning Guitar and Ukulele, it’s fun 🌟

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 416
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2018, 09:19:38 am »
Two replies urging you to get a tube amp ... I'm therefore going to recommend either the Blackstar HT5R or the Bugera V5 if that is the choice you decide upon.

Offline Majik

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 107
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2018, 09:45:49 am »
I will just throw in a data point:

I have the Bugera G5 head which is similar to the V5 combo, but has a better spec (separate clean/overdrive channels with footswitch, separate bass/mid/treble tone controls, "Morph" control, FX loop, MP3 input).

I have this running into a 1x12 cab with a Celestion vintage 30 speaker which should be significantly better than the 8in 8G30A4 speaker in the V5 (I have to admit I've not heard the V5, but 12in speakers pretty much by definition sound better in guitar amps than 8 in speakers, and the Celestion V30 is a pretty good 12in speaker).

I have heard this against a Blackstar HT-5R, and to me it sounds better than the HT-5R, possibly due to the speaker being better.

All in all it's a great valve amp setup and most of the guitar players I know who have heard it have been impressed with it.

But, 6 months after getting my Katana 100, I hardly ever use the valve amp.

YMMV

Cheers,

Keith
Guitars: PRS Singlecut S2, Fender Tele Lite Ash, G&L Legacy Tribute, Freshman Apollo 2 OCBX
Amps: Bugera G5 Head, Boss Katana 100
All sorts of other stuff.

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 416
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2018, 11:15:01 am »
I knew you had a Bugera Keith and couldn't remember which.
Interesting point about it gathering dust now you have a Katana.

Offline Majik

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 107
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2018, 12:33:21 pm »
I do use it occasionally (I did last weekend).

As much as anything, I have to admit a lot of the usage pattern is down to location. The Bugera is in our "music room" (basically our dining room), and the Katana is in my home office. The home office is farther away from the living room so playing loudly there doesn't disturb the family.

However, that was true when I used my Pathfinder 15R in the office, and I used the Bugera more then.

Also, in the music room I have a Boss JS-8 which I often use to learn songs, do exercises to the metronome, etc. primarily because it's quick and convenient and I can associate patches with songs, slow them down, etc.

If I want to avoid disturbing the family during the evening, I will use headphones on the JS-8. I could plug headphones into the Bugera, but if I'm going to have headphones I may as well use the JS-8.

If I swapped the Katana and the Bugera over, would I use the Bugera more? Probably. But I think I would miss having the Katana in the office. The Bugera sounds great. But so does the Katana, and it somehow feels more convenient and with more tonal options easily available to me.

Cheers,

Keith
Guitars: PRS Singlecut S2, Fender Tele Lite Ash, G&L Legacy Tribute, Freshman Apollo 2 OCBX
Amps: Bugera G5 Head, Boss Katana 100
All sorts of other stuff.

Offline Styrr

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 3
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2018, 06:03:50 pm »
 A nice position to be in with that decent budget.
You will get loads of opinions on this and what’s’ best’ is very subjective. Eventually it will come down to what YOU want and expect .

There are loads of YouTube vids  on exactly this sort of question. Most, as far as remember, come down on the side of ‘as long as the guitar isn’t rubbish’ then buying an expensive amp and cheap guitar is better than an expensive guitar and cheap amp’. I think the reasoning is that the amp is where you really get most of the tone and you will probably buy another guitar anyway. A good guitar will still sound bad through a crap amp whereas almost any guitar will sound better through a decent amp.

Even so,  here’s my perspective and the rationale behind  it
MIA Strat and Katana amp. Job done (for now).

My head would say the MIM strat but I know that even if I was perfectly happy with it. I would always know it wasn’t a MIA. If you can try both and if you can’t justify the price differential then ....
Whatever; go for the one you love the most, the one you want to pick up and play.

Katana amp. It’s not the best selling solid state / modelling amp for no reason over the last couple of years . I doubt that you will be disappointed with it. It is versatile; can be as simple or as complex as you like; and sounds decent at low volume (even with crunch or higher gain). Whether you want the 50w or 100w really boils down to how much do you want to pay and whether you want the FX send/return (for example using a looper). Is there a down side to this amp? Well not everybody agrees and some prefer other amps. Try it and see for yourself.

Why not a valve amp?
1)   They are loud and only really at their best with the volume up past 75%. Even at 5w that’s still a lot of noise. So you need an attenuator of some description.
2)   They ‘tend’ to be either good at clean or good at distortion. Not many are great at both.
3)   There are many variations in tone between makes and models. Some are obviously better at certain types of genres. Then you need to play as many as you can to get the one that gives you the tones you want. When you start adding pedals, each may sound completely different through different amps. You will to try each and every pedal when purchasing as it really might not be that compatible with your chosen amp.
4)   They are more delicate than solid state and of course the valves are wearing out as soon as you switch on. The higher the volume, the more you using up those little ions and the sooner they will need replaced.
5)   More expensive.
So; do they sound ‘better’ ?   Answer = probably.
If you do go the valve amp route, what should you be looking for ?
 If it’s a combo, look for a 12” speaker, as smaller ones ‘tend’ to have less low end and can sound ‘fizzy’. That or buy a head and a 1/12 cab
Does it have a power soak ability ?
Does it have an FX loop ?

I have both, A MIA Strat and the Katana 100w and am not dissapointed with either. Also like Majik, guess which amp I switch on most, even though I have 4 amps (valve and solid state) sitting behind me ?

Good hunting.
Styrr
“I can accept failure, everyone fails at something. But I cannot accept not trying.”
Michael Jordan

Offline LievenDV

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 151
    • Point Fifty
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2018, 07:31:51 pm »
Bedroom seyup? go with a solid state amp with modelling.
You can make it sound the same on every volume and perhaps it even has a headphones out.
(many people love the katana but I didn't so much so my advice is; try in stores andl isten online. not only sound but also ease of use might be a factor.)

Why buy another guitar for bedroom use though?
I get why one would want an extra guitar of course :)

my band: fb: Point Fifty | Instagram: Point Fifty

Offline joelh

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2018, 12:28:12 am »
I have something similar.  Baja Tele  and a VHT ultra 6.  With low and high power settings I can get as little or much volume as I want.

Sent from my [device_name] using JustinGuitar Community mobile app

Offline Joerfe

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 107
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2018, 08:05:01 am »
I voting for the MIM and Katana setup.
Just because I play that configuration myself ;D. I have never considered a US made guitar as I am extremely happy with the way my MIM Tele sounds especially with the "Vintage for Tele" pickups I had installed.
The Katana? What's not to like? Go for the 100w though as it has better speakers over the 50W.
/Jesper

Sigma SOMR28H, Fender Classic '50s Tele, Fender Std Stratocaster, Gibson lpj '14, BOSS Katana 100-212 amp.
Me on da Soundcloud https://soundcloud.com/jesper-j-rgensen-11

Offline DarrellW

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 90
  • What was I doing?
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2018, 08:55:45 am »
I have something similar.  Baja Tele  and a VHT ultra 6.  With low and high power settings I can get as little or much volume as I want.
Yes that amp is an absolute gem, if my requirements had have been just for a guitar amp then that would have been very high on the list, having built in attenuation is really good because it’s designed for that amp so unlike some of the aftermarket ones it will not stress the power components and cause premature failure.
My singing sucks so I’m learning Guitar and Ukulele, it’s fun 🌟

Offline J.W.C.

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 27
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2018, 11:37:47 am »
The good news is that you'll probably enjoy either setup.

There's not really any bad news.

Personally, since you're specifying bedroom, I'd probably opt for the MIA Fender/Katana option. You'll end up buying a tube amp later, anyway. :)

I don't play in the bedroom (it annoys my wife), but I do play in my home office. At home I tend to plug into one of the following (or sometimes two in a wet/dry setup):

1. Katana 100
2. Marshall SL5 (5w tube)
3. Fender Blues Jr. (15w tube)
4. Marshall DSL40 (in 20w mode)

The Katana is nice for evenings/nights when I can't really play with much volume. The tube amps can get extremely loud for home use. But they sure are fun to play. Especially a wet/dry with the Blues Jr. and the DSL40. Sometimes that's magic. :)

Get The Forum As A Mobile App