Author Topic: 002 2018 Hallelujah  (Read 398 times)

Offline embishop

002 2018 Hallelujah
« on: April 04, 2018, 02:22:31 pm »

I was inspired to learn this by bickb, his playing of this version was simply amazing. I don't quite make it to amazing lol, and I didn't even manage the 'vision' I had for the song, which was V2 adding a harmony line and V3 adding a second harmony line, but time has run out since I'll soon be offline and without my guitar for a few weeks. There's lots I could say about the imperfections, but I'll just leave it at what it is for now. I hope to be back practicing soon to keep working towards the 'vision'.

https://soundcloud.com/user-515453056/hallelujah/s-pDrVi

Keep playing!

Mari
Epiphone SG400, Taylor 325ce, Martin OMCPA5, Ovation Balladeer
Boss Katana 50, Boss RC-1 loop pedal
Yamaha Clavinova CLP-525 digital piano, Boss VE-2 Vocal Harmonist

Offline DarrellW

Re: 002 2018 Hallelujah
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2018, 02:58:01 pm »
Sounds good to me! Don’t knock yourself, ok more layers would make it better but you’ve definitely got the essence of it, well done!
Having fun learning Guitar and Ukulele, what more could you want?

Offline DavidP

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 87
  • You're always learning about guitars,Keef Richards
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2018, 05:06:05 pm »
Mary,

Congrats on what you have accomplished here so far.  Guitar sounds pretty good and you have the feel of the song.  Sounding pretty amazing to me, even if not as clean and polished as you desire.

I enjoyed the percussion that came in, particularly in the final verse and chorus. 

Keep plugging away and I know you will reach the performance level you are desiring in due course.

Offline Bytron08

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2018, 05:17:27 pm »
Very Nice i couldnt do that. Did you fingerpick that? If so very good!

Offline embishop

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2018, 02:05:43 am »
Sounds good to me! Don’t knock yourself, ok more layers would make it better but you’ve definitely got the essence of it, well done!

Thanks Darrell, and you're right, I do tend to be pretty hard on myself! Gotta let go of that a little bit ...

Mary,

Congrats on what you have accomplished here so far.  Guitar sounds pretty good and you have the feel of the song.  Sounding pretty amazing to me, even if not as clean and polished as you desire.

I enjoyed the percussion that came in, particularly in the final verse and chorus. 

Keep plugging away and I know you will reach the performance level you are desiring in due course.

Thanks David. The percussion was an afterthought when I couldn't get any harmony lines to work for me but I still wanted to build on the verses a bit. I'm used to playing to a metronome or drum track but this was much different, even though a simpler beat, because I added it after the guitar. Maybe if I do all of the verses in the song and keep adding one drum per verse I'll have a full blown percussion sound going - and then some!!

Very Nice i couldnt do that. Did you fingerpick that? If so very good!

Thanks Byron, yes I am fingerpicking the song. It's the first one I've tried with the melody and not just the chords, so now of course it's opened up a whole new array of songs I'd like to learn!
Epiphone SG400, Taylor 325ce, Martin OMCPA5, Ovation Balladeer
Boss Katana 50, Boss RC-1 loop pedal
Yamaha Clavinova CLP-525 digital piano, Boss VE-2 Vocal Harmonist

Offline batwoman

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2018, 04:53:55 am »
Good work Mari, perhaps better than you give yourself credit for. We are always a work in progress, both as musicians and people, you demonstrate all of that.

Online Garfield

« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2018, 07:41:37 am »
Very good mari. I agree that everything is work in progress but this is very good don't beat yourself up. I'd love to hear version 2 of this.  It's a really lovely arrangement. I missed bickb's I'll have to go and find that.

Sent from my [device_name] using JustinGuitar Community mobile app

Online redrhodie

« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2018, 12:24:30 pm »
Sounds good, Mari. Nice finger picking! I can't pick out some melody like that. Jealous.

Sent from my Moto G (5S) Plus using Tapatalk

Offline MrBumble

« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2018, 05:46:04 pm »
I missed this when you posted it.

I like it, a good simple treatment, and I especially like the percussive effect.

Thanks for posting and good vibes!
Guitars - Ovation Celebrity, Revelation RJT60Q.
Amplifiers -Marshall G30R CD, Fender Super Champ 25 SE, Laney A Fresco.

Offline oldhead49

« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2018, 07:02:21 pm »
Awesome, Mari. Sounding really good and you are stretching your wings - so fun to hear and see. 

Sent from my iPhone using JustinGuitar.com Forum

Offline pkboo3

« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2018, 03:05:50 am »
Pulling out the melody within the chords. That is very nice. Hope to get to that point some day. Lovely.

Sent from my iPhone using JustinGuitar.com Forum

Offline kontenda

« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2018, 12:11:58 pm »
Really well played embishop - sounded very intricate.  I'm a big fan of pairing a song down to just the acoustic guitar - so for me I didn't think the drums were necessary - the guitar playing was lovely and that was what I wanted to hear.
BC May 2015 - April 2016
Currently IM3

Offline phx1973

« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2018, 09:48:49 pm »
excellent job. I like the drum track, even if you would have preferred more layers.
BC completed August, 2016
Currently In Intermediate Method - Foundation 3
Gear: Fender Standard Tele, Gibson Les Paul Junior, Epiphone Hummingbird Pro (Acoustic), Fender Bassbreaker 15 Amp, Fender Mustang I amp

Offline john256

« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2018, 11:24:11 am »
It's a nice piece of fingerstyle; where did you get the arrangement?

I like the idea of adding a simple drum-track but the timing's a bit loose so on balance I'd rather listen without it and focus on the pretty guitar did you do this in one take or add the drums after/before?

One other minor nit-pick, there's quite a lot of noise as I can mentally see you trying to change the shapes fast enough - even though you're playing is pretty much bang on they make it feel a bit panicked. I've no idea how you minimise this though, if it's technique or the guitar or the recording.

Good job :)

Offline Barend

« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2018, 09:41:32 pm »
This is lovely Mari. I really want to be able to create these lovely sounds myself one day. Good going!

Sent from my [device_name] using JustinGuitar Community mobile app

Get The Forum As A Mobile App