Author Topic: 002 2018 Something in the Way (Nirvana)  (Read 3756 times)

Offline john256

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 32
002 2018 Something in the Way (Nirvana)
« on: March 15, 2018, 12:16:16 am »
I'll just get in early this time.

https://soundcloud.com/mister_boy/something-in-the-way

A 1-take unplugged recording, out of tune guitar and all. I had some ideas where I wanted to go with this but didn't anticipate the radioheadesque vibe I can myself hear back. I kind of like it, rough as it is.

PS: soundcloud widget STILL doesn't seem to work

Offline batwoman

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 175
Re: 002 2018 Something in the Way (Nirvana)
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2018, 02:54:04 am »
Yeah, I like it too John, hot off the stove. I wonder how it would have sounded if you'd tuned your guitar and had another go? Curious.
Walcott Custom OM Acoustic , G&L Tribute Fallout Electric, Crafter T035 OM Acoustic, Ashton Bass.

Offline john256

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 32
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2018, 09:21:28 am »
The original was IIRC an out of tune 12str Kurt picked up and did the recording on... Hence I also used a 12str without retuning. I kind of like it to be honest.

I did have plans to take it further, let it breath and grow with some more repeats - but kept mucking it up. I might post that in the normal feedback forum if I get it down.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

« Last Edit: March 15, 2018, 11:19:36 am by john256 »

Offline Golo

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2018, 10:49:08 am »
I'm a big nirvana fan and I totally loved your cover. I like the feel you put in the cover. You didn't copy it exactly note for note but rather made it sound your own and I like that.

Sent from my [device_name] using JustinGuitar Community mobile app

Offline DavidP

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 346
  • You're always learning about guitars-Keef Richards
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2018, 08:57:17 pm »
Not a band I've ever got really into so don't know it to draw comparisons.  For me it has the right feel and mood about it ... dark, moody, kinda tortured ... guess that would be Nirvana, kinda.  That was carried through both by the playing and the vocal performance.  Fine performance, John, applause.

Offline embishop

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 115
  • Playing my way to a new way of thinking. ~ JG
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2018, 10:47:42 pm »
I like some Nirvana music but sometimes it's a bit dark for me. That said though I think you've done a really good cover of this, quite enjoyed the guitar.

American Pro Strat HSS, Gretsch G5420T, 
Taylor GS Mini-e Koa, Epiphone SG400
Boss Katana 50
Yamaha Clavinova CLP-525 digital piano

Offline Garfield

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 42
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2018, 09:22:50 am »
Hi John. I used to be really into nirvana in the nineties and i still listn to unplugged quite a bit. You've done a good job on this. Second half better than the first I think there was just a bit too much dissonance in the first half for me. Maybe that improved in the second half or I stopped noticing.

Sent from my [device_name] using JustinGuitar Community mobile app

Offline Fourtwo

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 42
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2018, 04:18:05 pm »
John,
Very professional sound on this one. It all fits together well and your voice is very strong. No criticisms here - the guitar didn't even sound much out of tune to me!
Neil

Offline Loefgren

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 94
  • Cause I need more time yes I need more time...
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2018, 07:45:40 am »
John, I liked that a lot. Really strong vocals. Guitar sounded good two, i dont mind to much about the untuned guitar, fits this song well. Well done!
Yamaha FG720S
BC March 2016 - Feb 2017
IM started March 29, 2017
Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCus_LSy8xc5x51NrBxMt5MQ

Offline pkboo3

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 64
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2018, 01:45:42 pm »
I thought it was well done. I’ve not listened to Nirvana much but this one’s pretty good. Dark and lonely. About the homeless I suppose. Always wonder about songs and their emotion and the real meaning behind them. “OK to eat fish because they don’t have any feelings.”  “The animals I caught have all become my pets.”  I can relate. Good job, John.

Sent from my iPhone using JustinGuitar.com Forum

Offline redrhodie

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 91
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2018, 01:29:35 pm »
I have to admit I thought your guitar needs tuning. I kinda thought it must be intentional, so I'm glad it was. Haha. Nice picking. Vocals sound great.

Sent from my Moto G (5S) Plus using Tapatalk

Offline john256

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 32
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2018, 01:44:22 pm »
I have to admit I thought your guitar needs tuning. I kinda thought it must be intentional, so I'm glad it was. Haha. Nice picking. Vocals sound great.

Although this was intentional - pick it up and play without bothering to tune it - if you've ever played a 12str then pretending the tuning issues are on purpose is a good trick ;)

From Wikipedia:
According to Nevermind's producer Butch Vig, Cobain had originally wanted to record "Something in the Way" with the full band, but when initial attempts at this proved unsuccessful, Cobain sat down and played the song for Vig by himself, to show him how he thought it should sound.[1] Vig was impressed with the way Cobain's solo rendition sounded, and after having the air conditioner and all telephones turned off in the control room of the studio, proceeded to set up microphones and record the song the same way, with Cobain singing and playing guitar.[1]

This became the core of the track; drummer Dave Grohl and bassist Krist Novoselic added their parts later,[1] though both had some difficulties with the relatively slow timing of the song. Novoselic also had trouble tuning his bass to Cobain's guitar (a rickety old 12-string Stella acoustic strung with 5 nylon guitar strings which barely stayed in tune) and Grohl was forced to repress his natural inclination to pound on the drums, in order to match the song's gentle mood. On the final day of the Nevermind sessions, Kirk Canning, a friend of the band's, came in and completed the song with a cello line,[1] though he too had difficulties tuning to Cobain's guitar.

Here's the original by the way for those who don't know it (I thought everyone would!)
Always a little nerve-wracking directly comparing oneself to a pro ;)

Offline redrhodie

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 91
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2018, 02:04:01 pm »
Although this was intentional - pick it up and play without bothering to tune it - if you've ever played a 12str then pretending the tuning issues are on purpose is a good trick ;)

From Wikipedia:
Here's the original by the way for those who don't know it (I thought everyone would!)
Always a little nerve-wracking directly comparing oneself to a pro ;)

I got a 12 string for my birthday last year. I tuned it, played it until it went out of tune, and thought, life's too short for this. I haven't played it since.

Offline kontenda

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 29
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2018, 01:44:44 pm »
Not a Nirvana fan myself - so I am not familiar with this song - so had to check it out. Your version sounded great to me - good solid vocals - your singing is better with each entry - any tips in that department? Guitar sounded great to me - didn't notice it was out of tune to be honest.

Offline oldhead49

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 157
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2018, 09:10:08 pm »
I thought that sounded good.  Like Kontenda, I really didn't notice out of tune guitar.  I actually liked the sound of the guitar and your vocal.  Good one.

Offline john256

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 32
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2018, 04:40:52 pm »
Does everyone else listen back to their recordings one day and think "this is pretty sweet" and then the next day listen again and think "oh this is so embarrassingly tragic?"

:)

Offline DavidP

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 346
  • You're always learning about guitars-Keef Richards
« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2018, 04:55:02 pm »
Does everyone else listen back to their recordings one day and think "this is pretty sweet" and then the next day listen again and think "oh this is so embarrassingly tragic?"

:)
LoL

What gets me is when I receive some feedback, listen again and realise that delivering something better was well within my ability, more often than not when it comes to the mixing rather than the playing ... my latest is no exception and I wish I could have submitted the re-mixed version from AVOYP as the entry. 

On the plus side, I view it all as learning and as long as I am getting a little better slowly but surely then nothing I have produced, despite the many flaws, leaves me feeling is was embarrassingly tragic.  I guess that is the upside of being a relative beginner :)

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 604
  • Teesside, North East England.
« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2018, 11:29:23 pm »
Darkly atmospheric and effective.
Variety in your chord-voicing and in the top notes you picked when playing arpeggiated helped give depth and interest to a minimalistic chord progression.
It's stark and short yet you managed to give it dynamics and life.
Good job.

Offline justinguitar

• Administrator
  • Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 163
    • justinguitar.com
« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2018, 10:43:20 am »
Love this song and you do it very well, songs like this are much more about what you put in than doing it 'right' and you do it real well - very dark song but you get there! I don't think guitar is out - 12 strings always sound a bit like that - which is why people use them :)

Great stuff :)
"You can get help from teachers, but you are going to have to learn a lot by yourself, sitting alone in a room." Dr. Seuss

Offline john256

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 32
« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2018, 11:44:34 am »
Justin and Richard, many thanks for your feedback and, once again, for the time you put into this contest.

Offline de_conne

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 39
    • Last Chance
« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2018, 01:36:53 pm »
A little late, but hey...

What a great performance!
Love this song and you do it justice.

Great black tone/vibe in it.

Very good!

Regards,
de_conne
BC started Jan 2014, currently playing in a band.
Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard HP 2018, Dearmond By Guild 1998 M75T
Amp: Fender Blues junior III, Fender Mustang III v2
https://soundcloud.com/de_conne
https://soundcloud.com/de_conne2

Get The Forum As A Mobile App