Author Topic: String suggestions Please!  (Read 1133 times)

Offline Trish

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 0
String suggestions Please!
« on: April 06, 2018, 09:45:02 pm »
Hi friends,

I’m a beginner in the phase of  “Changing strings is scary”...
I have an acoustic guitar and I bought what the manufacturer recommended (which were v expensive 🙄)
I also have an Epiphone LP Tribute and I have no clue what to buy... (I’m completely new to electric)

So for the more experience mates here;
What brands and gauge you recommend?
Kind of a reference list we can consult... both acoustic and electric guitar users inputs are welcome 😁

Thanks all!

Offline dman2

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 1
Re: String suggestions Please!
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2018, 09:55:27 pm »
 Check manufavturer

Sent from my LG-E971 using JustinGuitar Community mobile app

Offline dman2

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 1
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2018, 09:56:35 pm »
Everybody has favs lighter in my opinion easier to play

Sent from my LG-E971 using JustinGuitar Community mobile app

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 437
  • Teesside, North East England.
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2018, 10:56:40 pm »
If you're a beginner look for:

Acoustic gauge 11
electric gauge 9 or maybe 10 on a Les Paul style

Loads of makes to choose. Rotosound or D'addario or Ernie Ball are well known.
About £4-5 for electric maybe a little more for acoustic.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2018, 07:46:07 am by close2u »

Offline DarrellW

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 99
  • What was I doing?
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2018, 07:23:24 am »
A bit more expensive but they are really lovely to play, I’ve gone over to them after a period of playing nylon strings a lot, they are much easier on your fingers 🤣
https://www.stringsdirect.co.uk/strings-c1/sets-c865/acoustic-guitar-c33/gypsy-jazz-sets-c208/la-bella-gjl-be-gypsy-jazz-silk-steel-light-11-51-p11661
My singing sucks so I’m learning Guitar and Ukulele, it’s fun 🌟

Offline Trish

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2018, 09:16:08 am »
If you're a beginner look for:

Acoustic gauge 11
electric gauge 9 or maybe 10 on a Les Paul style

Loads of makes to choose. Rotosound or D'addario or Ernie Ball are well known.
About £4-5 for electric maybe a little more for acoustic.

Thanks for your help! I have never changed the strings so it's easier as 1 time to go and buy something recommended instead of being overwhelmed from the 10000 of choices out there.
😊

Offline Trish

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2018, 09:19:40 am »
A bit more expensive but they are really lovely to play, I’ve gone over to them after a period of playing nylon strings a lot, they are much easier on your fingers 🤣
https://www.stringsdirect.co.uk/strings-c1/sets-c865/acoustic-guitar-c33/gypsy-jazz-sets-c208/la-bella-gjl-be-gypsy-jazz-silk-steel-light-11-51-p11661

Thanks for your suggestion i like the 'easy on your fingers' part mine are sore 😁 That's why my acoustic guitar is on vacation for a few days and I have to practice with an electric... I'm using my pinkie for the 1st times with those stage 4 chords and boy! It hurts ...

Offline troy

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 1
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2018, 10:19:44 am »
I think it takes quite a long time to work out what strings suit you.

As a beginner you just go with what your guitar came with, but after a period of time you gradually work out what characteristics you prefer.

As Darrell pointed out. I came to the conclusion I wanted something easier on the fingers. I worked out that I also have quite a sloppy way of playing which meant my fingers were sliding up and down the strings between chord changes rather than a precise lift off and replace !  Sore fingers, but worst of all, that horrible squeaking !

I really can't stand the squeaking. Sets my teeth on edge. If I hear someone playing an acoustic on the radio with excessive squeak I have to turn it off.

So I tried out different sets of flatwound strings ( the surface is flat rather than having the wire ridges) . Easy on the fingers, but best of all, squeak free. There are downsides however as they are certainly not as bright sounding but I'm fine with that. I ended up settling on D' Addario ECG23's which are a light flatwound string for about £13 a set which I use on both my acoustic and electric. I also have flatwounds on my bass.

Each to their own though and there are no hard and fast rules.

I agree it can be confusing as there are so many choices !
"Oh no, it's not a Hofner, it's a Hobner" . WHAATTT !!!

Offline Trish

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2018, 08:03:46 am »
I think it takes quite a long time to work out what strings suit you.

As a beginner you just go with what your guitar came with, but after a period of time you gradually work out what characteristics you prefer.

As Darrell pointed out. I came to the conclusion I wanted something easier on the fingers. I worked out that I also have quite a sloppy way of playing which meant my fingers were sliding up and down the strings between chord changes rather than a precise lift off and replace !  Sore fingers, but worst of all, that horrible squeaking !

I really can't stand the squeaking. Sets my teeth on edge. If I hear someone playing an acoustic on the radio with excessive squeak I have to turn it off.

So I tried out different sets of flatwound strings ( the surface is flat rather than having the wire ridges) . Easy on the fingers, but best of all, squeak free. There are downsides however as they are certainly not as bright sounding but I'm fine with that. I ended up settling on D' Addario ECG23's which are a light flatwound string for about £13 a set which I use on both my acoustic and electric. I also have flatwounds on my bass.

Each to their own though and there are no hard and fast rules.

I agree it can be confusing as there are so many choices !

Thanks for your input; it's nice to have things explained, I didn't know what the difference was in the flatwounds strings when I checked the shops!

Oh boy it's down to money and buy different types and try them... 😄

Offline CT

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 71
    • YouTube
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2018, 04:04:25 pm »
It's all about getting the sound you want, and you'll know it when you hear it. If you did your homework and fell in love with the sound and feel of a particular guitar when you bought it, you'll most likely just stick with the same brand of strings. Why change brands/gauge unless you just want to experiment a little (which can be fun). Manufacturer recommendations are a pretty good place to start if all else fails. The Epi LP tribute standard comes with D’Addario 10's, which are an excellent choice. I can't advise if you want to change brands/gauge to save a few bucks. Quality strings are part of the price of ownership.

Get The Forum As A Mobile App