Author Topic: Ashton D25 Acoustic - thoughts for a beginner?  (Read 272 times)

Offline KiwiMatt

• Good Vibes 0
Ashton D25 Acoustic - thoughts for a beginner?
« on: April 02, 2018, 06:32:59 am »
Hey everyone.

Unfortunately I found this place after purchasing my first guitar - Ashton D25. In lesson 2 Justin mentions getting a cheap acoustic means it will be probably hard to play. I was recommended it by a knowledgable friend of mine. It was cheap.

Anyone know about this guitar? I know starting out will be hard, but it could be because of the guitar and I don't know it!

Offline DarrellW

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 59
  • What next???
Re: Ashton D25 Acoustic - thoughts for a beginner?
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2018, 08:25:31 am »
It’s a typical Amazon cheap guitar, if you can get it set up properly then it will be ok to start with but it could cost you around £40 to do that so kinda defeats the object of buying one so cheap!
Having fun learning Guitar and Ukulele, what more could you want?

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 364
  • Teesside, North East England.
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2018, 09:52:38 am »
They're budget end, cheap & probably not so cheerful. Likely to have a high, unforgiving action.
How does it fe l to you?
« Last Edit: April 02, 2018, 09:07:39 pm by close2u »

Offline Styrr

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 2
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2018, 06:14:04 pm »
Justin was looking at the cheapest guitars in that series of Vids. I Believe the acoustic one he got was a lot lower in price than the one you bought.

looking at new prices yours isn't so budget and probably heading into the range where as a beginner you would most likely should be looking anyway.

Yes acoustics are harder to play, mainly because they tend to have a higher action and thicker strings than electrics. Really budget ones tend not to be set up correctly, making it worse for beginners.

Let's look on the positie side.
It will probably do you until you know you want something better.
If the action is too high then a set up will improve it. You can do some of it yourself, (assuming it has a truss and it works). Just search for how to on YouTube. You may even be be brave and learn how to file down the saddle. You may not need to do this at all as some have sims under the saddle - removal of which helps. You could become the next best luthier in the country :)
As a beginner you are most likely to be learning open chords and progressions. As the action tends to become a problem further up the frets then even high action may not be too much until you progress to barre chords.
Next string change go to lighter gauge strings.

And if you're struggling - you can always blame the guitar   (don't stop trying)

If and when you get an electric you'll find it a breeze

Just keep positive and don't give up. You can do it even on a horrible one (which yours probably isn't), its just that it'll take longer and be more diffcult.

Styrr

“I can accept failure, everyone fails at something. But I cannot accept not trying.”
Michael Jordan

Offline vkk1991

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2018, 02:06:05 am »
You cant go wrong with a Seagull S6.

Those guitars are pretty good out of the box action wise. And IMO, they sound as good as a Taylor 200 series guitar.

Get The Forum As A Mobile App