Author Topic: vkk  (Read 3458 times)

Offline vkk1991

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 0
Re: vkk
« Reply #60 on: June 28, 2018, 04:59:31 am »
So this is what ive been working on:

1. Set the metronome to 60BPM (on acoustic because it builds character)
Beat 1: G
Beat 2: G
Beat 3: Prep F barre (no strum)
Beat 4: Prep F barre (no strum)

Beat 1: strum F barre
Beat 2: strum F barre
Beat 3: strum F barre
Beat 4: strum F barre

repeat for 1 min (3 cycles total)

switching from a barre chord to an open G is much easier than G to barre.

2. power chords - getting a feel for them, and the nirvana style where they only use 2 fingers instead of 3.

3. rock licks - oh my god this is a finger nightmare since ive never really done the hammer/flick combos before. have to slow it down and work from bottom up.

these three exercises(delayed chord changes using the F barre) are completely new to me; and as a result, fry the muscle between thumb and pointer finger.

Congrats on the new Strat, it’s going to be a keeper for sure - can’t go wrong with a Stat!
You’re doing great, I like to see your patience taking you forward - that’s what it’s all about!!!

Whoo hoo ... happy days are here when you have a new guitar in hand :)

For sure, vkk ... not going to shake me off :)

As for the America ... you're really, really close ... just a small adjustment.

Now, if I may take a small liberty ... I suggest that you start listening to other members posts in the Performance Progress area.  There are about 5 different boards there, but generally people post either in the Audio/Video Of You Playing (AVOYP) or Contest boards. 

My experience has been that I have learned a great deal listening to others, been inspired and also contribute to the Community through offering feedback and encouragement to others.  I post my recordings over there and in turn have received invaluable encouragement and feedback.

And when you are ready with complete songs, that is the place to post them up to get best response from the Community.

And once again, good job ... you are going well !!

Thanks guys! I'll check those sections out!

Offline vkk1991

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #61 on: July 03, 2018, 02:36:14 am »
So that F barre chord is going ok, this is what ive been able to work up to now:

G, G, G, -prep--, F, F, F, F, G, G, G, --prep F

I can play F no problem ---- by itself  8)
Where i really need to practice is "landing" into an F chord.

However, landing it in the right position on time when doing 4 strums per bar is very hard.
Working on just G -> F chord changes right now which is at a really low 18.

Im super slow at this, but also having some wrist pain and some nasty muscle soreness between my index finger and thumb. This might be because im playing them wrong, because power chords on electric seem to increase them. I will get some more videos and pictures from various angles of how the barre chords and power chords to try and show what im doing.

Offline vkk1991

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #62 on: July 03, 2018, 03:19:03 am »

Here’s me doing an F chord and I think the problem is my wrist isn’t a fan of that angle. Need to relax and find the balance between playing the chord right and proper wrist position. Any other input would be highly appreciated

Offline vkk1991

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #63 on: July 05, 2018, 03:25:18 am »
Worked the intro for Before you Accuse me a little bit.
Its got a lot of technical things that i have no clue how to do so i improvised a bit..
lots of room for improvement. But im glad that i can play an opening riff somewhat.

Offline DavidP

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 107
  • You're always learning about guitars-Keef Richards
« Reply #64 on: July 05, 2018, 06:30:55 am »
Glad you continue to explore different things like that intro, while continuing the BC stages and lessons.  BYAM proved to be the song I used to practise the triplet shuffle strumming rhythm when I got to stage 5.

I'm no expert but agree that the wrist angle doesn't look right.  Maybe trying moving the neck closer to your body.  Headstock looks like it is pointing out an an angle, maybe if it was more parallel to the body ... don't know.  All I can say is experiment with posture and position of the guitar until you can play the chord properly and be in a comfortable position.

By the way, have you looked at anybody else's posts yest, watched videos or listened to audios?  And you should not worry about your level of playing in terms of making comments.  Even if the comment is just an encouraging note to share how you enjoyed the post or what you learned, the poster will find that valuable...as I hope you find the replies you receive from Darrell and I.

Online DarrellW

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 67
  • What on earth was I going to do???
« Reply #65 on: July 05, 2018, 08:05:42 am »
Your posture is completely wrong, don’t rest your arm/elbow on your leg - it’s not conducive to correct movement or position of your wrist relative to the fingerboard; also you should sit upright not slouching over, it’s not just bad for playing but also can cause back/neck/shoulder problems!
Your intro was ok for your stage, not perfect by any means but nothing that attention and practice won’t cure, if you’re having problems with any parts of it get them right before you go any further, practicing mistakes is poison to getting it right, work in small bite size chunks and don’t try to go any further until you have them nailed - patience is always rewarded especially when playing guitar!
My singing sucks so I’m learning Guitar and Ukulele, it’s fun 🌟

Offline vkk1991

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #66 on: July 07, 2018, 02:53:52 am »
Im taking 2 days off from playing at the moment to give my wrist some time to heal.

Found this video by Justin regarding thumb angle for various chords.
at around 3:20, he's recommending that the thumb is placed behind the SECOND finger for barre chords. This is really important because I've been placing my thumb behind the first finger.

[youtube]zQuHqY83mD0[youtube]

Played around with this and i felt like i was exerting a little less pressure to make the chord ring. We will see on sunday if this is an improvement when the wrist is back at 100%.

Your posture is completely wrong, don’t rest your arm/elbow on your leg - it’s not conducive to correct movement or position of your wrist relative to the fingerboard; also you should sit upright not slouching over, it’s not just bad for playing but also can cause back/neck/shoulder problems!
Your intro was ok for your stage, not perfect by any means but nothing that attention
and practice won’t cure, if you’re having problems with any parts of it get them right before you go any further, practicing mistakes is poison to getting it right, work in small bite size chunks and don’t try to go any further until you have them nailed - patience is always rewarded especially when playing guitar!

Yessir, i did cringe a little bit looking at my general posture. Hunched over is never a good thing. Have to be more conscious of not doing that.

Glad you continue to explore different things like that intro, while continuing the BC stages and lessons.  BYAM proved to be the song I used to practise the triplet shuffle strumming rhythm when I got to stage 5.

I'm no expert but agree that the wrist angle doesn't look right.  Maybe trying moving the neck closer to your body.  Headstock looks like it is pointing out an an angle, maybe if it was more parallel to the body ... don't know.  All I can say is experiment with posture and position of the guitar until you can play the chord properly and be in a comfortable position.

By the way, have you looked at anybody else's posts yest, watched videos or listened to audios?  And you should not worry about your level of playing in terms of making comments.  Even if the comment is just an encouraging note to share how you enjoyed the post or what you learned, the poster will find that valuable...as I hope you find the replies you receive from Darrell and I.

Check out the video i posted above by Justin, pretty sure that identifies my exact issue.
I wonder if this is also applicable to power chords..  ???

I haven't had the time to check out other people's playing yet... have some crucial projects at work that need to be delivered successfully so using playing as more of a stress reliever. But once next week rolls around, ill be sure to check out other parts of the forums here. 

Offline CT

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 5
    • SoundCloud
« Reply #67 on: July 07, 2018, 04:13:39 am »
An F bar chord is an E shape bar chord at the first fret. It's hard to do for everyone at first. There are a few things that can help:
* Practice some E chords without using your pointer finger. Then slide down and add the bar.
* Practice barring at the 5th fret until you get how to do the bar with the boney side/part of your finger. Justin lays out the proper form very well.
* Play some songs where you hit the F chord briefly and then dart away for a bit. Lingering on it can be painful for me too.
* Metal string acoustic guitars can be harder to bar than nylon string and electric guitars. Try it on another guitar, even try some at a store. Try to determine if your guitar is holding you back (if you happen to feel that it may be holding you back).
* Don't bang away at it for a long time if you feel pain. Practice bar chords for a short time only if you feel pain and then move on to the short forms of those chords.
* It looks like Justin plays Fmaj7 a lot when an F is called for and so do I. You can cover a lot of "F" chord ground with it. Spend some time nailing that one down cold.     

Offline vkk1991

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #68 on: July 09, 2018, 01:51:06 am »
Looks like im good to start practicing again, the wrist pain is gone.

Shifted my thumb to be slightly behind the second finger, and what a difference that made.

I need to practice this new position much more since i felt this almost instantly in my interosseous muscle. But this time, it was a feeling of that muscle being worked - no pain.

doing these patterns:

beat 1 - G - down strum (DS)
beat 2 - G - DS
beat 3 - switch to F
beat 4 - switch to F

beat 1 - F - DS
beat 2 - F - DS
beat 3 - switch to G
beat 4 - switch to G

next, i did the same thing with C.

starting to pick up speed with I'm a Believer. However, that F chord is just not fast enough so I took CT's advice and Fmaj7 sounds okay there. Video next time.

An F bar chord is an E shape bar chord at the first fret. It's hard to do for everyone at first. There are a few things that can help:
* Practice some E chords without using your pointer finger. Then slide down and add the bar.
* Practice barring at the 5th fret until you get how to do the bar with the boney side/part of your finger. Justin lays out the proper form very well.
* Play some songs where you hit the F chord briefly and then dart away for a bit. Lingering on it can be painful for me too.
* Metal string acoustic guitars can be harder to bar than nylon string and electric guitars. Try it on another guitar, even try some at a store. Try to determine if your guitar is holding you back (if you happen to feel that it may be holding you back).
* Don't bang away at it for a long time if you feel pain. Practice bar chords for a short time only if you feel pain and then move on to the short forms of those chords.
* It looks like Justin plays Fmaj7 a lot when an F is called for and so do I. You can cover a lot of "F" chord ground with it. Spend some time nailing that one down cold.   

Hey CJ, not sure if its a guitar problem. I have a Martin D18 and a Fender MIA Strat which were both setup. But yes, you are right learning the E chord with fingers 2, 3, 4 is something that i found suggested on other guitar forums as well.  I think the main hurdle is that everything for F barre chord has to be in the right position or it sounds weak or strings are muted. Its just something thats going to take some time to get down.

Offline CT

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 5
    • SoundCloud
« Reply #69 on: July 09, 2018, 04:53:45 am »
It's not a problem at all. I don't have much more to add. Keep working through it, around it and past it. Have fun and encourage someone else here. I have a road case too. Just saying'. :)

Offline vkk1991

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #70 on: July 11, 2018, 05:09:08 am »
Im a Believer, gotta work that F chord a lot harder.

Tried the minor pentatonic and some yolo blues too. string bending is wayy beyond what im capable of at the moment, but it never hurts to try new things:

It's not a problem at all. I don't have much more to add. Keep working through it, around it and past it. Have fun and encourage someone else here. I have a road case too. Just saying'. :)

You got it buddy  :D

Online DarrellW

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 67
« Reply #71 on: July 11, 2018, 06:22:56 am »
Much better posture, and you’re definitely coming on! Extending yourself is good, keep up taking challenges it will definitely help your learning path 👍👍🌟

Offline CT

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 5
    • SoundCloud
« Reply #72 on: July 11, 2018, 03:32:01 pm »
Sounded good, and you're getting better all the time! For me it's a bit sterile though. Everyone is different --for me I need to tap my foot, sway or move somehow to get into the "Pocket" of a song or practice session. Consider practicing with a drum beat, clicktrack, looper or something. You are making music even when you practice.

Offline vkk1991

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #73 on: July 16, 2018, 03:35:48 am »
More minor pentatonic
added some BB King in at the end, picked that up from Marty S.
still working on proper form on the F chord. its taking a lot longer than id like it to take (mainly due to relearning the chord as well as making it ring right and redoing all the exercises above and lets not forget about the muscle strength that is needed), but cant get frustrated just gotta TRUST THE PROCESS and the guitar gains will come.

Online DarrellW

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 67
« Reply #74 on: July 16, 2018, 05:56:12 am »
Getting there, it’s definitely process!!!
One observation and something that you should be learning now is alternate picking when you play scales not all down picks, strict down up down up down picking (even when you swap strings) will improve your technique when you want to play lead runs.
Another observation, when you do a bend make sure you mute it when it gets up to pitch; if you don’t it sounds kinda like seagulls 🤣🤣🤣 i.e. not nice! Justin has done a lesson on this, I think it’s on the Blues course.
Remember that practicing things that are not quite correct makes it harder to get them right long term, it ingrains the errors!

Get The Forum As A Mobile App