Author Topic: vkk  (Read 5263 times)

Offline DavidP

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 189
  • You're always learning about guitars-Keef Richards
Re: vkk
« Reply #45 on: May 15, 2018, 03:24:38 pm »
I think you are making excellent progress on the strumming, vkk.  You are sounding steady on the D-D-D-D- strumming on both the songs you played.  Keep going with this, eg I am sure you can in time it will sound even better playing Live Forever with that rhythm just at a faster tempo ... provided you keep in time and make the changes smoothly.

As I recall, by the end of stage 4, Justin introduced additional patterns ... D-D-DUDU or D-DUDUD- ... I forget the specific patterns.  So based on where you are in terms of the chords you are using, you could start playing some of the simpler songs where you are more automated on the changes with these patterns.

You are right about the jump to stage 5 ... for me getting the trip-let strumming right took some effort.  But only made possible by getting solid on the use of the up-strums in the preceding lessons.

And all the work done up get stage 5 done, positions you for stage 6 when Justin introduces the skip of a down-strum, what he calls "old faithful" since it can sound so good on so many songs ... don't know why but that skipped down-strum somehow makes a huge difference.

You are also correct, if I understand correctly, that often the final up-strum of beat 4 is on open strums, particularly when you start to play at faster tempos ... just not enough time between the down of beat 4 and down of beat 1 of the next measure to make a chord change, so the change is made over the "&" at the end of the bar.

As for the finger-picking...from a Justin BC perspective that comes later.  Nothing wrong with starting earlier, if you have the time to practice more.  Just bring through the same principles you used when learning the strumming.  That is, keep it slow and simple at first. 

So pick a basic pattern and work on getting it smooth on a single chord.  I'd suggest starting on either an Em and G ... my reason being that the bass note played with the thumb is the 6th string for both.  And  only start changing back and forth between the chords once you feel reasonably fluent on the basic pattern, eg thumb on 6, ring 1, middle 2, index 3.  And that could be played as 4 quarter notes i.e. one note per metronome click. I think getting that basic control of the right hand fingers will set you up to play more elaborate patterns and in time be able to pick out melodies in a chord progression and ultimately, be more like a Mark Knopfler and finger riffs/licks with the lefthand that are picked with individual fingers rather than with a plectrum ... but all starts (even for Knopfler, I heard him say so) with getting the basics solid.

Keep at it, you are sounding good on those songs strummed simply ...

Offline vkk1991

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #46 on: May 16, 2018, 05:26:28 am »
Today was a strumming focus day, put the metronome at 60 BPM(pattern D D D U D) and played the Em chord for 5 minutes. Very slow, but this is the best point to start.

Then, i went back to 4 downstrums per bar, and after the 4th downstrum, add empty upstrum before nailing the next chord change. Worked with A and E chords here at 60 BPM. Just get used to that empty upstrum. 

Finally, i worked 3 one minute changes:
B7 -> Dm = 40
C7 -> Dm = 37
G -> Dm = 40

Id like to bring these up to 50+ in the short term.

I think you are making excellent progress on the strumming, vkk.  You are sounding steady on the D-D-D-D- strumming on both the songs you played.  Keep going with this, eg I am sure you can in time it will sound even better playing Live Forever with that rhythm just at a faster tempo ... provided you keep in time and make the changes smoothly.

As I recall, by the end of stage 4, Justin introduced additional patterns ... D-D-DUDU or D-DUDUD- ... I forget the specific patterns.  So based on where you are in terms of the chords you are using, you could start playing some of the simpler songs where you are more automated on the changes with these patterns.

You are right about the jump to stage 5 ... for me getting the trip-let strumming right took some effort.  But only made possible by getting solid on the use of the up-strums in the preceding lessons.

And all the work done up get stage 5 done, positions you for stage 6 when Justin introduces the skip of a down-strum, what he calls "old faithful" since it can sound so good on so many songs ... don't know why but that skipped down-strum somehow makes a huge difference.

You are also correct, if I understand correctly, that often the final up-strum of beat 4 is on open strums, particularly when you start to play at faster tempos ... just not enough time between the down of beat 4 and down of beat 1 of the next measure to make a chord change, so the change is made over the "&" at the end of the bar.

As for the finger-picking...from a Justin BC perspective that comes later.  Nothing wrong with starting earlier, if you have the time to practice more.  Just bring through the same principles you used when learning the strumming.  That is, keep it slow and simple at first. 

So pick a basic pattern and work on getting it smooth on a single chord.  I'd suggest starting on either an Em and G ... my reason being that the bass note played with the thumb is the 6th string for both.  And  only start changing back and forth between the chords once you feel reasonably fluent on the basic pattern, eg thumb on 6, ring 1, middle 2, index 3.  And that could be played as 4 quarter notes i.e. one note per metronome click. I think getting that basic control of the right hand fingers will set you up to play more elaborate patterns and in time be able to pick out melodies in a chord progression and ultimately, be more like a Mark Knopfler and finger riffs/licks with the lefthand that are picked with individual fingers rather than with a plectrum ... but all starts (even for Knopfler, I heard him say so) with getting the basics solid.

Keep at it, you are sounding good on those songs strummed simply ...

Thanks for the details!

The first thing i tried to do today was to do D D U Miss U D chord change upstrum then D D U Miss U D.
That ended up horribly. Trying to do too many things at once, one part at a time. So for now, D D D D Upstrum and D D D U D Upstrum is all i need.

The most humbling thing about practicing is that its merciless.
I know exactly what sounds terrible, and there is no way that trying to speed up playing is going to benefit because ill be sure to miss beats, miss strums etc.. and it just takes a lot of practice to get something to sound as good as Id like to make it sound.

I even took a sneak peek at stage 5 and it only gets more involved from there.. Theres power chords, F barre chord (which i managed to get, but switching between that and open chords is another adventure entirely), learn the notes, and it will all come in due time.. Just focus on enjoying where i am and keep in mind that the beginners course is structured in a way that you wont be fed more than you can chew.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2018, 03:47:56 pm by vkk1991 »

Offline DavidP

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 189
« Reply #47 on: May 16, 2018, 06:02:32 am »
What you say in your latest update makes sense, sounds wise.  Justin has developed this BC based on many, many years of teaching experience.  The sequence is put together intentionally.  I'm sure not the only way to learn but it is tried and tested.

At stage 4 you have a chord vocabulary that is sufficient to play a vast catalogue of songs.  And you can start to use the up strums to make the songs more interesting. Listening to you I am sure it won't take long before you are smoothly playing songs with up-strums. 

A good one I found to experiment with was Mad World.  You can use a different pattern for the verse and chorus and it starts to sound quite musical.  Yes that skipped down-strum will make it sound even better but not if trying it causes the chord changes to deteriorate and your playing to become hesitant.

Keep at it, slow and steady (as you are), and you will see the benefits.  I think if you never go beyond the BC, you'll be able to sound really good and impress your friends and family for sure.  Of course once the BC is done one will surely yearn to become better, but by completing it with patient diligence you will become a guitar player.

Offline vkk1991

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #48 on: May 21, 2018, 01:04:59 am »
Practicing the "4th and" up empty strum.
I think its coming together decent when i play slowly but the strumming problems/hesitancy are coming out when picking up speed as shown in this clip:

To practice consistent strumming with D D D U D, i have played around with some chords that sound good together. The first sequence that sounds good is:

Capo on 4th fret
G Em C D
G Em C Am

when put together, it sounds like this:

Sure gonna need some other combos and even some lyrics to turn it into a song  ;D
« Last Edit: May 21, 2018, 01:49:48 am by vkk1991 »

Offline DavidP

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 189
« Reply #49 on: May 23, 2018, 08:22:23 pm »
Both sounding pretty good, vkk.

I think maybe you speed up and slow down a little every now and then, but mostly sounded pretty steady and smooth.

Also suggest you look at how you sit ... a little bit hunched over the guitar, I guess to watch the chord fretting hand.  Good idea to slowly sit up I think, and build the confidence to play those chords with less need to look as closely as you are now.

Really do think Hold Your Hand is sounding good.

Offline CT

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 46
    • SoundCloud
« Reply #50 on: May 23, 2018, 10:29:51 pm »
That G-Em-C-D (I-VIm-iV-V) turnaround is the secret sauce in a lot of great music! Nail that one down and you’ve nailed down a ton of songs. Keep at it, man!

Offline vkk1991

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #51 on: May 28, 2018, 05:49:41 am »
Some more videos.

Mad World: I need to slow the strumming down. The actual song has a slow and delicate tempo. There is a difference between slow and purposeful and slow because uncomfortable with strumming.

Brown Eyed Girl: Very happy how this came out. Missed a strum at some point - so need to be more observant. But super happy nonetheless.

Twist and Shout: This is also coming together pretty well. Just a bit more strumming consistency and then I can start the next part of this song.

12 Bar Blues: Started working on this just to introduce a new skill. The finger flexibility is lacking to be able to finger the second fret and fourth fret at once but it will come with time.

Overall im very happy with how this "skill consolidation phase" of the first 4 stages is going and I think im learning quite a bit by just focusing on some material instead of trying to force progression when the skill just isnt there.

That G-Em-C-D (I-VIm-iV-V) turnaround is the secret sauce in a lot of great music! Nail that one down and you’ve nailed down a ton of songs. Keep at it, man!

Thanks!

Both sounding pretty good, vkk.

I think maybe you speed up and slow down a little every now and then, but mostly sounded pretty steady and smooth.

Also suggest you look at how you sit ... a little bit hunched over the guitar, I guess to watch the chord fretting hand.  Good idea to slowly sit up I think, and build the confidence to play those chords with less need to look as closely as you are now.

Really do think Hold Your Hand is sounding good.

Thanks man!
Yes, i agree. Posture is very important and it has to be improved at work as well.
Sitting on a chair with terrible back support day after day isnt healthy for the back.

Offline DarrellW

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 84
  • What on earth was I going to do???
« Reply #52 on: May 28, 2018, 06:05:02 am »
You’re doing ok, I did notice a bit of hesitation here and there in your strumming but it’s very much better than it used to be. Keep it up with the Blues work, you have the right idea but the lack of familiarity with the chords is holding you back, this will soon get sorted by practicing. You seem to understand the rhythm pretty well which is usually most folks stumbling block so well done there, keep going onwards and upwards you’re doing good!
My singing sucks so I’m learning Guitar and Ukulele, it’s fun 🌟

Offline DavidP

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 189
« Reply #53 on: May 29, 2018, 04:50:23 pm »
Echoing Darrell , vkk

You continue to make good progress with the strumming and changes.  Like so many fine things in life, you just can't rush the process.

The blues sounded good, you're on your way there as well !!

I suggest looking at Justin's lesson for Old Timed Rock and Roll ... Bob Seger.  You can use it to practice hitting only two strings per chord, also ADE like a basic blues progression.  Slightly different rhythm.

Offline vkk1991

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #54 on: June 16, 2018, 04:13:33 am »
Hey guys,

Its been a while since i've updated this journal.

Ive been drifting away from technique work, and focusing too much on song work.
putting songs on the back burner for now, and focusing on technique.

Why? because my fingers are not strong enough to hold down a 2nd fret and then a 4th fret of a string when playing 12 bar blues. so these are the exercises i want to make a mainstay. Will start on the 5-8th frets and slowly build up the stretch so that i can do frets 1-4 without contorting my fretting hand. 

Offline vkk1991

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #55 on: June 23, 2018, 09:17:07 pm »
A horse with no name.

Offline DavidP

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 189
« Reply #56 on: June 23, 2018, 10:12:26 pm »
Excellent progress, VKK ... been nearly a month so the last song videos you posted.  The first thing that struck me was your posture ... much, much better ... sitting up, not watching your hands.  That all sounded really good as well ... smooth strumming, cool percussive accent and pretty clean on the chords.  If I have to picky, I think you need to listen a little more to the original, to my ears it was not quite right, really good and recognizable but just a wee bit off at a point.  But that is really a minor point, given the huge improvement in your playing.

Offline vkk1991

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #57 on: June 25, 2018, 04:48:06 am »
Went to guitar center today and there was a sale on used gear. Turns out they had a 2017 Olympic White Fender Strat on decent discount. Fiddled around with it a bit(Don't know any lead guitar but played some chords, and power chords which i dont know either but YOLO) and really liked it so decided to buy that and trade in my squier tele. big discount + 10% off retail price has me paying around $20/month for this instrument.

As far as technical work goes, this is what im working on at the moment:

1. Playing a chord on the first beat, and then waiting 4 beats, then playing the F chord. So this is what that looks like:

1 2 3 4 1 2 3 4
G - - -  F - - - G - - - F

Yeah, this is a really painful way of going about this but my F barre chord is not ready for 1 minute changes on acoustic when I really need to work on placement. Also helps with the whole "strum, pickout, strum" concept that Justin introduces in one of the very first chord instruction videos.

2. I'm a Believer on acoustic - Another way that i found online to work the F chord is to play 3 downstrums for the non F chord, and use the time for the 4th beat to setup the F chord and play it for 4 beats. Its not exactly what the song calls for, but i need to practice the chord more.

3. The electric guitar is a completely different animal - and im in love with this Srat. It seems to allow me to be a bit sloppier with F chord, but is also very punishing when i try and speed up something that im just not ready for. So for now, im working on Beginner versions of Beat it and Smells like Teen Spirit. 

4. Justin's new site has each part of the beginners course modeled by Colors. Looking at the first couple stages, i have completely missed out on ear training and will be starting that as well.

Excellent progress, VKK ... been nearly a month so the last song videos you posted.  The first thing that struck me was your posture ... much, much better ... sitting up, not watching your hands.  That all sounded really good as well ... smooth strumming, cool percussive accent and pretty clean on the chords.  If I have to picky, I think you need to listen a little more to the original, to my ears it was not quite right, really good and recognizable but just a wee bit off at a point.  But that is really a minor point, given the huge improvement in your playing.

hey buddy! glad to see you're still checking in on this thread.

the posture problem was quite easy to fix - stop sitting on my bed, and sit on a hard chair  ;D
I think looking at the fretboard constantly is a confidence issue. Just play the chord and make the mistake and learn from it. Im not even a year in yet of hobby that will take a lifetime.

and yes, i agree. what i have is not quite what America is playing in their track.. and ill have to listen to it a bit more carefully to get it down right.

Offline DarrellW

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 84
  • What on earth was I going to do???
« Reply #58 on: June 25, 2018, 05:12:08 am »
Congrats on the new Strat, it’s going to be a keeper for sure - can’t go wrong with a Stat!
You’re doing great, I like to see your patience taking you forward - that’s what it’s all about!!!
My singing sucks so I’m learning Guitar and Ukulele, it’s fun 🌟

Offline DavidP

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 189
« Reply #59 on: June 25, 2018, 06:09:38 am »
Whoo hoo ... happy days are here when you have a new guitar in hand :)

For sure, vkk ... not going to shake me off :)

As for the America ... you're really, really close ... just a small adjustment.

Now, if I may take a small liberty ... I suggest that you start listening to other members posts in the Performance Progress area.  There are about 5 different boards there, but generally people post either in the Audio/Video Of You Playing (AVOYP) or Contest boards. 

My experience has been that I have learned a great deal listening to others, been inspired and also contribute to the Community through offering feedback and encouragement to others.  I post my recordings over there and in turn have received invaluable encouragement and feedback.

And when you are ready with complete songs, that is the place to post them up to get best response from the Community.

And once again, good job ... you are going well !!

Get The Forum As A Mobile App