Author Topic: vkk  (Read 3507 times)

Offline DarrellW

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 67
  • What on earth was I going to do???
Re: vkk
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2018, 04:44:32 pm »
Im trying this pattern on whats up and it sounds nice (D D U Miss U D)... the actual pattern is difficult to get and i probably wont try that one till later. Somebody to Love sounds decent with downstrums only but the real pattern from Justin video is too cool to not learn.
Don’t stick too rigidly to that suggested strumming pattern, listen to the recording lots of times and you will realise that it does vary and varies performance to performance, try playing along with it, if it sounds right then it’s ok!
My singing sucks so I’m learning Guitar and Ukulele, it’s fun 🌟

Offline DavidP

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 109
  • You're always learning about guitars-Keef Richards
« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2018, 05:28:11 pm »
Listen to Justin. When he teaches a song for beginners he begins with a simple down strum on the beat. And somehow the songs sound ok. Ok he does sing the melody which helps. But still. Lesson for me is that solid rhythm in time with a simple pattern will sound better than a fancy pattern with all over the place timing.

Offline vkk1991

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2018, 05:03:32 am »
Worked mostly on songs today, E -> C is is 36.

Here's "Whats Up", first with 4 down strums per chord and then a pattern thrown in.. I think it came out ok.

"Somebody to love", just the first two parts:

"Twist and Shout". Im doing some weird thing where I stop after the upstrum on the E. Need to keep that going smoother

"On the dock of the bay" just downstrums on the first two verses. This REALLY needs work.

Offline DarrellW

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 67
« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2018, 10:57:54 am »
Your strumming is ok and chord changes not too band, B7 needs work BUT your timing is not consistent, you’re speeding up, use a metronome and get it consistent and you’ll be ok!

Offline vkk1991

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2018, 05:23:54 am »
Practiced getting B7 and C7 clearly. Super slow strumming with each chord.

Then did 10 rounds of 70 BPM with metronome. The hard part of this is playing when the ticker goes off, and not before or a second too late.

Your strumming is ok and chord changes not too band, B7 needs work BUT your timing is not consistent, you’re speeding up, use a metronome and get it consistent and you’ll be ok!

Yep, B7 is terrible.

Offline vkk1991

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2018, 05:55:51 am »

tried to keep the strumming as consistent as possible. No random speeding up randomly.
I think this went pretty well.

Tried to learn the pick hit stuff Justin mentioned but that wasnt gonna happen. Don't have the coordination to pull that off quite yet.

Chord changes that ill be working hard for the next couple weeks:

1. G->Fmaj7 ... dont have an issue with G to C but when im supposed to play Fmaj7, im playing C so i need to practice this.

2. G -> C7

3. B7 -> G7

4. Fmaj7 -> B7

5. E -> B7

6. E -> C7

7. C7 -> B7

So yeah, mostly going from 4 finger chords to 3 finger chords and vice versa. I feel like if i dont put in the work on these basic transitions, im going to have a really hard time moving forward.

Oh and Sixers are 3rd seed going into the Playoffs. TRUST THE PROCESS.

Offline DarrellW

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 67
« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2018, 08:13:24 am »
Much better but you need to remedy the tiny hesitation on your upstrum, exaggerate it initially, it needs to be equal travel up and down to get it right, you are on the right path and definitely more consistent with your timing!
Take a look at this
https://youtu.be/nbhUop_DwyU

Offline vkk1991

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #22 on: April 16, 2018, 12:07:47 am »
G -> B7 = 40
E -> C = 40
C -> C7 = 30 -> This is a really stupid chord change to practice, but my pinky is all over the place when doing this and needs to get in control.

G -> Fmaj7 = 25 -> this is horrible now, but i kept hitting the C chord instead of Fmaj7 so i focused on making it ring right.

5 x 1min @ 70BPM just down strums

then followed by the following chords with 4 downstrums per bar:

Em -> B7 -> C -> A

G -> D -> C -> C7

No songs today.

Small observation: My pinky feels very very strange trying to hold down anything that isn't the high E string. Pinky has to toughen up a little bit - just like every other finger did when i picked up a guitar in the first place :)

Much better but you need to remedy the tiny hesitation on your upstrum, exaggerate it initially, it needs to be equal travel up and down to get it right, you are on the right path and definitely more consistent with your timing!
Take a look at this
https://youtu.be/nbhUop_DwyU

I actually bought both RUST DVDs along with the beginner songbook!, great stuff.. my mistake was thinking that the DVD is supposed to be a sit and learn the whole thing in one session. Only after starting the beginner songbook did i realize that D D D D is essential for the whole book.

Offline vkk1991

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #23 on: April 17, 2018, 05:03:19 pm »
E -> C7  = 40 (27 of those switches are actually ringing correctly, this is the number that matters most)

G -> B7 = 42

E -> C = 41

More practice with down strums + metronome while focusing on keeping the strumming hand moving at all times.
This is getting a little bit easier.

Went to the music store and thumbed through a Nirvana songbook.
Ended up buying it because the majority of the chords in that book seem doable, even though i dont know them all completely just yet.

Sixers lost series tied at 1-1 but Dwade went 2008 mode ohh yeaaa.

Offline MrBumble

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 13
« Reply #24 on: April 17, 2018, 05:29:33 pm »
Sixers lost series tied at 1-1 but Dwade went 2008 mode ohh yeaaa.

Sorry, you'll need to explain that - possibly something to do with cricket at a guess.
Guitars - Ovation Celebrity, Revelation RJT60Q.
Amplifiers -Marshall G30R CD, Fender Super Champ 25 SE, Laney A Fresco.

Offline vkk1991

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #25 on: April 18, 2018, 05:59:49 am »
Hey guys, so today was a whole bunch of songs work.
My chord changes need to be crispier.

I feel like im playing a bit too robotic/"just do it" mentality instead of "this is music, atleast try and make it sound.. you know, musical!". Considering rolling back to stage 2/3 or even stage 1 and rebuilding the songs from there... it would help in really nailing strumming patterns, as well as focusing on trying to master the chord changes instead of "3 more down strums until time to change chords".. what do you guys think? 

Here's "I wanna hold your hand", and you can kinda see what i mean:

Started "Come as You Are" from the Nirvana book. First ever riff:

Tried to mess around with fingerstyle, not exactly sure what I was trying to accomplish with this but it was fun trying to put some chords together:

Sorry, you'll need to explain that - possibly something to do with cricket at a guess.

Im a huge basketball fan.

Its actually in reference to the Miami Heats player Dwayne Wade destroying the Philadelphia 76ers in the playoff game. The series is tied now at 1-1 and next game is at Miami. Whatever team gets to 4 wins first will advance to the next round of the playoffs.

For some unknown reason, I find cricket and baseball as the most boring sports of all time. I don't even like American football(despite the Eagles winning the Superbowl and the subsequent riots I participated in). Soccer is another can of worms entirely. The fact that a team can play on like that for 90 minutes and have the game called as a tie for scoring 1-1 is atrocious to me.

Offline MrBumble

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 13
« Reply #26 on: April 18, 2018, 06:42:30 am »

Im a huge basketball fan.

Its actually in reference to the Miami Heats player Dwayne Wade destroying the Philadelphia 76ers in the playoff game. The series is tied now at 1-1 and next game is at Miami. Whatever team gets to 4 wins first will advance to the next round of the playoffs.

For some unknown reason, I find cricket and baseball as the most boring sports of all time. I don't even like American football(despite the Eagles winning the Superbowl and the subsequent riots I participated in). Soccer is another can of worms entirely. The fact that a team can play on like that for 90 minutes and have the game called as a tie for scoring 1-1 is atrocious to me.

Thanks for the clarification.
I hadn't thought of basketball. I'm with you on cricket - I'd sooner watch paint dry - but my game is Rugby.

However, back on topic, your guitar workrate is exemplary, I'm surprised you have time for sport at all.
Guitars - Ovation Celebrity, Revelation RJT60Q.
Amplifiers -Marshall G30R CD, Fender Super Champ 25 SE, Laney A Fresco.

Offline DarrellW

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 67
« Reply #27 on: April 18, 2018, 07:01:15 am »
That’s good, strumming is nice and steady and keeping in time!
Your go at finger picking isn’t bad but you should know what chords you want to play and the order you want to play them, it seemed like you weren’t sure where to go next, if that’s what you are interested in it would be good to understand the circle of fifths so that you know which chords sound good together.
A great resource for learning finger style is one I use, there are some really simple but really nice sounding combinations of chords; if you look for Marco Cirillo on YT and some of the beginners tutorials you will see what I mean!
BUT don’t let this departure take over too much of your time, it’s a bit premature to get too interested at your stage.

Offline DavidP

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 109
  • You're always learning about guitars-Keef Richards
« Reply #28 on: April 18, 2018, 10:19:56 pm »
Coming along well, for sure. You were on top of the tricky B7.

I shan't be tempted into the sports conversation  :)

Offline vkk1991

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #29 on: April 20, 2018, 04:49:24 am »
Everything done today was about E->C7 and G -> C7.

Everything from 4 down strums per bar super slow to 1 minute changes repeated 5 times.
Must have switched between these two chords 200 or so times. Fingers cramping up like crazy but they are getting used to it..

Practiced some strumming with just E chord.
I have ran through the first 5 strumming patterns from "Really Useful Strumming Patterns DVD 1" and noticed that my downstrum is a lot more exaggerated than Justin's is - to the point where we both start off at the same time, and he miraculously ends up half a beat ahead of me. Going to make a conscious effort to cut the downstrum off a bit earlier to keep up with the DVD.

I'll work some songs tomorrow.

Also, guys I start travelling domestically within 2 weeks again for work.
Unfortunately, Economy class is not friendly towards two specific things:

1. Anyone over 5'11''
2. Instruments

Does anyone have suggestions on what mini guitar i should get to practice in the hotel? I don't really care how fancy it is.. Just need something that i can practice chord changes and strumming on. Seems like the Baby Taylor and Martin Backpacker are the most popular travel sized guitars that you can put in the overhead compartments and take as carry on..

I have returned Epiphone Les Paul... The return expiry date is in 3 days and I just don't think I gave the Fender Strat or Tele a good enough try to be 100% focused on LP.. There is a sale through May 8th at guitar center so maybe ill go play around with Teles and Strats. The sound im going for right now is Jimmy Hendrix, so probably a Strat but the Tele look is very classy.

There's just something super sexy about a butterscotch Tele.

Also, Sixers beat the Heats and are up 2-1 in their series.

TRUST THE PROCESS

----

Coming along well, for sure. You were on top of the tricky B7.

I shan't be tempted into the sports conversation  :)

haha, man im a Philly fan.
Whomever your teams are, Im sure you guys aren't as annoying as us Philly fans :D
As long as you aren't a Zaza fan..

That’s good, strumming is nice and steady and keeping in time!
Your go at finger picking isn’t bad but you should know what chords you want to play and the order you want to play them, it seemed like you weren’t sure where to go next, if that’s what you are interested in it would be good to understand the circle of fifths so that you know which chords sound good together.
A great resource for learning finger style is one I use, there are some really simple but really nice sounding combinations of chords; if you look for Marco Cirillo on YT and some of the beginners tutorials you will see what I mean!
BUT don’t let this departure take over too much of your time, it’s a bit premature to get too interested at your stage.

There's still a lot of tweaking to do.. Everytime i watch parts of the RUST DVD, it looks like Justin is doing something which doesn't look like it makes a big difference, but after repeating the pattern a couple times, he's a beat and a half ahead - like mentioned above.

A deep dive into fingerstyle is sounds interesting... however.. id also like to get into poppy fingerstyle like this, i know there's gotta be some looper pedals going on but still he nailed it:

Id also like to learn rock stuff like Tom Morello, Jimmy Hendrix or even Slash - Thats kinda why i returned the Les Paul. I just didn't know what sound I want.. except that the D18 sound just clicks.

Thanks for the clarification.
I hadn't thought of basketball. I'm with you on cricket - I'd sooner watch paint dry - but my game is Rugby.

However, back on topic, your guitar workrate is exemplary, I'm surprised you have time for sport at all.

Rugby is a great sport. Much better than American football.

Honestly, this is what my day looks like:

Wake up, prepare food for the day, go to gym: 5-8am
shower, go to work: 9am-12pm
lunch: 12pm
leave work around 5:30-6pm ish, then dinner
study for grad school tests - 7-9ish
9 onwards, practice guitar for usually 30-45 minutes including warmup.

this schedule lets me get atleast 5 half hour practice sessions a week focusing on either technical(learn new chords, practice chord changes, strumming, and once i learn them - scales) or songs

Get The Forum As A Mobile App