Author Topic: vkk  (Read 7451 times)

Offline DarrellW

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 94
  • What was I doing?
Re: vkk
« Reply #30 on: April 20, 2018, 08:20:28 am »
If you want an acoustic then a Taylor Baby would be nice, also any Parlour size guitar is about as small as you can get with a ‘proper’ guitar, a Guitalele could be an alternative, basically it’s a 6 string Ukulele that is tuned like a guitar at the 5th fret, all of the chord shapes are the same but obviously not the same names - eg an A shape on a Guitalele is actually a D and an E is an A; it can get confusing unless you just ignore the difference and just practice remembering that it sounds different 🤣🤣🤣
You can get one the same as mine in the USA  here
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B075K975JQ/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1524274151&sr=8-1-spons&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=guitalele&psc=1
« Last Edit: April 21, 2018, 02:33:17 am by DarrellW »
My singing sucks so I’m learning Guitar and Ukulele, it’s fun 🌟

Offline DavidP

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 227
  • You're always learning about guitars-Keef Richards
« Reply #31 on: April 21, 2018, 09:40:56 pm »
haha, man im a Philly fan.
Whomever your teams are, Im sure you guys aren't as annoying as us Philly fans :D
As long as you aren't a Zaza fan..

Rugby is a great sport. Much better than American football.

this schedule lets me get atleast 5 half hour practice sessions a week focusing on either technical(learn new chords, practice chord changes, strumming, and once i learn them - scales) or songs
Ok, you got me.  No idea what a Zaza fan might be.

I was born in England and came to South Africa age 9, still here. So I am rugby,  football, cricket watcher, some tennis and like the US Masters golf.

I enjoy basketball even without knowing the rules. And seems odd for the last seconds to take so long to play. Like edited highlights of American Football, but the ages between each play kill. Once watched the Cubs at Wrigley Field, apparently it was a super exciting game...apparently.

Most fun team sport to play, perhaps volleyball...even though I was too short and not good at jumping which made it a challenge.

Your steady practice routine plus desire is sure to lead to progress...keep strumming.

Offline vkk1991

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #32 on: April 22, 2018, 05:33:53 am »
Focused a bit more today on slowly working in strumming patterns for I want to hold your hand as well as Somebody to love.

Ill get some videos up for tomorrow.

regardless, i find my process for each song as follows:
1. 4 downstrums per bar unless specified
2. add metronome and work the 4 downstrums until 90BPM
3. then add strumming pattern -> where i struggle the most

so that leads to the question..
How would i incorporate specific strumming patterns into metronome work?
for a pattern like D U D U D U D U, would it be everytime the metronome clicks, i should be switching strums? When i tried to work the strumming pattern into the songs mentioned above, i noticed that my strumming is inconsistent unless i slow the entire thing down(which is the best way to practice but would like to get consistent strumy rhythm in)

Also, my co worker and I had a long discussion about what instrument he should learn for his fiance when she gets here in August. He was stuck between the acoustic guitar and the piano. Showed him Justin's lessons and made up his mind real quick. He's ordered the beginner songbook and we will go guitar shopping tomorrow. Hopefully, he keeps practicing even after his fiance arrives because there's some cool things i want to try with someone around my skill level. 

Ok, you got me.  No idea what a Zaza fan might be.

I was born in England and came to South Africa age 9, still here. So I am rugby,  football, cricket watcher, some tennis and like the US Masters golf.

I enjoy basketball even without knowing the rules. And seems odd for the last seconds to take so long to play. Like edited highlights of American Football, but the ages between each play kill. Once watched the Cubs at Wrigley Field, apparently it was a super exciting game...apparently.

Most fun team sport to play, perhaps volleyball...even though I was too short and not good at jumping which made it a challenge.

Your steady practice routine plus desire is sure to lead to progress...keep strumming.

I think basketball is the easiest sport for a spectator to watch and get a reasonable understanding of, just score some shots and dont let the other guy score.

Volleyball is a great sport.. Im not that great at sports either.. 6'2'' and cannot dunk :(((

Zaza is a guy on the Golden State Warriors who has zero understanding of what sportsmanship is. He tries to intentionally hurt other players and gets away with it frequently.
If you want an acoustic then a Taylor Baby would be nice, also any Parlour size guitar is about as small as you can get with a ‘proper’ guitar, a Guitalele could be an alternative, basically it’s a 6 string Ukulele that is tuned like a guitar at the 5th fret, all of the chord shapes are the same but obviously not the same names - eg an A shape on a Guitalele is actually a D and an E is an A; it can get confusing unless you just ignore the difference and just practice remembering that it sounds different 🤣🤣🤣
You can get one the same as mine in the USA  here
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B075K975JQ/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1524274151&sr=8-1-spons&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=guitalele&psc=1

That's a great option! Much better than the Martin Backpacker
Ill check out the local stores to see if they have it.. Thanks!

Offline DarrellW

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 94
  • What was I doing?
« Reply #33 on: April 22, 2018, 06:26:31 am »
If you’re talking about the Guitalele Yamaha make one also that is about the same price as the Donner, I got the Donner because I also have a couple of their Ukuleles and know they are very good for the price. They only sell direct or on Amazon so I doubt you will find one in a shop.
My singing sucks so I’m learning Guitar and Ukulele, it’s fun 🌟

Offline vkk1991

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #34 on: April 23, 2018, 12:59:20 am »
Tried to work strumming patterns in today.
Couple things i noticed:

1. Dm transitions need work, the chord just feels wonky.
2. the songs seem to start out decent, but my confidence is wavering and that's leading to sloppiness.
3. im still not comfortable with missing downstrums - but the majority of the songs presented in the Beginner Songbook up until and including stage 4 sound perfectly good without the miss. 

gotta keep pushing the technique days.

Offline DavidP

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 227
« Reply #35 on: April 23, 2018, 05:09:39 pm »
Not too bad at all, vkk.

Some hesitations quite evident, which I am sure you've picked up on.  Not sure what is the principle cause.  I am wondering is it the skipped down strum or is it some hesitation in the chord changes?  If the latter then you can continue to work on specific chord changes using one-minute-changes or spend some more time learning the chord progressions and changes of the songs at a slower tempo.  If the former then more time drilling strumming patterns with the metronome.  Concentrate on all the patterns mentioned in BC in the early stages, 4 & 3 I think.  That is intended to serve as the grounding for trip-let strumming in stage 5 and the "old faithful" pattern with the skipped down strum in 6.  And I think Justin structures his course quite purposefully, so worth following it, I'd say.

Thanks for the sporting clarifications :)   

Offline vkk1991

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #36 on: April 24, 2018, 05:43:07 am »
G -> B7 = 45
E -> C7 = 39
G -> Dm = 35
C -> Dm = 35

Found the weakest link: Dm switches. Gotta make that chord feel normal. Pinky is also getting used to holding down strings.

So I think i've identified something major that Im doing wrong... or maybe just seeing things?

Here's justin's video of Three Little Birds:

Start the video at 5:25 right before he goes from A chord to D chord. It looks like he is doing the chord change right before completing the 4th strum of the bar for A chord.  This would explain why his chord changes sound so continuous, and mine sounds choppy despite the chord change feeling "good".

I tried this today with just the first 3 chords. 1 Bar A, 1 Bar D, 1 Bar E and it actually sounded really good so this might mean Ill restart the beginners course working this one tidbit into my strumming/timing.

Not too bad at all, vkk.

Some hesitations quite evident, which I am sure you've picked up on.  Not sure what is the principle cause.  I am wondering is it the skipped down strum or is it some hesitation in the chord changes?  If the latter then you can continue to work on specific chord changes using one-minute-changes or spend some more time learning the chord progressions and changes of the songs at a slower tempo.  If the former then more time drilling strumming patterns with the metronome.  Concentrate on all the patterns mentioned in BC in the early stages, 4 & 3 I think.  That is intended to serve as the grounding for trip-let strumming in stage 5 and the "old faithful" pattern with the skipped down strum in 6.  And I think Justin structures his course quite purposefully, so worth following it, I'd say.

Thanks for the sporting clarifications :)

Would really like to hear your opinion on my observation above.. whether it be false or true, i think i may have identified the root cause of some of the pausing.

Offline DavidP

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 227
« Reply #37 on: April 24, 2018, 06:04:42 am »
vkk,

Can't watch the video at the minute.  I can say Justin often says that the upstrum on the "&" of beat 4 will often catch open strings.  I think the down strum would typically be on the chord.  I suspect that is hard to analyse in a scientific way, music is about feel and I think over time it will develop and one day the hesitancy you hear will just be gone.

Best suggestion I can make is to follow the BC in terms of what you do when and take your time.  When a beginner is solid on stage 1 and begins stage 2 they'll be in a good position to continue to work on the stage 1 songs, like this one, playing them slow and steady, to build that feel.

I think if one rushes, moving too quickly, then that solid foundation may have the odd crack in it.  And when Justin first says metronome, that is the time to really give it focus.

You are doing really well and can only encourage to keep working, doing the drills as you, working your rhythm with the metronome and being persistent and patient.  Playing a musical instrument is not a simple activity, there's a lot going on, a lot to learn, new neural pathways to groove and get into the muscle memory.  Some may find it "quick and easy" to do this, I suspect the majority have to apply themselves ... certainly I've had to ... every gain is earned through much deliberate practice.

Strum on !!

Offline OpsRes

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 4
« Reply #38 on: April 24, 2018, 03:24:42 pm »
vkk,
You asked about a guitar that you can take on the road. I would suggest that you take a look at Traveler Guitars. The one I have is the Ultra-light Electric .
I have flown with this many times and have never had a problem, it easily fits in the overhead bin, I've never had a problem with security and it is light to carry around. The odd body shape of this guitar takes a bit of getting used to but that happened quite quickly.
I also have an iRig2  that I can plug into either my ipad or iphone and then play with headphones on so that even in a hotel room I won't disturb anyone else.
Over all I am very satisfied with this setup and it allows me to take my practice anywhere at all.

Cheers

Offline vkk1991

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #39 on: April 27, 2018, 11:29:03 am »
Restarted the song portion of the beginner course.
I completely missed the timing part for chord switches so i figured its best to try and fix my incorrect timing now rather than later.

Offline DavidP

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 227
« Reply #40 on: April 27, 2018, 03:56:58 pm »
Yup, the more you invest in getting the basics right the better.  Sounding pretty steady to me ...

Offline vkk1991

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #41 on: May 07, 2018, 04:24:43 am »
Hey guys Im still here.

Have been very busy with some work projects, so ill try and keep this post short.
I'm still practicing everyday. Strumming is starting to click.. somewhat.

It seems that the there should be a sweet spot between forearm movement and a flick of the wrist. Where that is, is independent for everyone but I feel like slowly but surely stumbling towards the right direction.

I also bought a Squier Affinity series Telecaster because:

1. I really like the way Tele's look.
2. Its super cheap, for like $100, and amp for $150.

Trying to get a basic rock lick in... after playing acoustic guitar hurts like a MFer.

SIXERS ARE DOWN 0-3 AGAINST THE CHEATER CELTICS BUT WE STILL TRUST THE PROCESS.

Here's some stuff from this weeks practice sessions:

Offline DavidP

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 227
« Reply #42 on: May 08, 2018, 05:45:29 am »
vkk,

Your Killing Me Softly sounded pretty good.  Just goes to show that as the strumming gets fluent and solid on the rhythm then even the simplest pattern sounds musical and good.

Sounded like there might have been some tempo changes in the first video.  Perhaps record some clips like that with the metronome.

Keep at, you are improving ...

Offline Barend

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 11
« Reply #43 on: May 12, 2018, 07:22:52 am »
Hi Vkk

A quick word from me to congratulate you on your progress. I read through and watched most of your posts (lazy saturday morning in bed with light drizzle outside). You can be proud of the way you are playing killing me softly after 5 months.

I am doing the sections of Justin's BC course that i was not exposed to before. I played for years using basically just 6 chords and a single strumming paytern... lol. Also did a bit of fingerpicking. Currently working on the 12 bar blues and 'before you accuse me' by eric clapton.

My 2 cents on sport.... I am addicted to watching rugby...(played it for c15 years). Also enjoy playing golf and watching the majors. Actually played basketball for a while at varsity when i could not play rugby anymore. Nice game. Squash also a very nice game to keep fit. Love watching the tennis slams, specially the finals..

Keep up the practise and good luck with the studies.

Cheers
Barend

Sent from my [device_name] using JustinGuitar Community mobile app

Offline vkk1991

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #44 on: May 15, 2018, 06:41:34 am »
Hi guys - still trying to tighten things up a little bit.
Id like to get to the point where i can comfortably use a strumming pattern beside D D D D and make smooth transitions between chords between before moving to stage 5.

For example in Brown Eyed Girl, it looks like Justin is doing an empty upstrum before nailing the chord change. So it goes like this, beat 3 = G, beat 4 = G, empty upstrum, beat 1 = C,

For I want to hold your hand, same thing, complete the downstrum, then a plain up strum before placing the next chord and continuing with the pattern

Here's some clips.. still playing with fingerstyle. Not sure what the rules on this forum are regarding posting content from other youtubers, but im just gonna say that i found a nifty fingerstyle tune from another youtube guitar teacher and im working on that as well.

Live Forever has a really cool sounding G chord introduced and id like to play around with a couple of the songs so far and see where it would fit in.

Hi Vkk

A quick word from me to congratulate you on your progress. I read through and watched most of your posts (lazy saturday morning in bed with light drizzle outside). You can be proud of the way you are playing killing me softly after 5 months.

I am doing the sections of Justin's BC course that i was not exposed to before. I played for years using basically just 6 chords and a single strumming paytern... lol. Also did a bit of fingerpicking. Currently working on the 12 bar blues and 'before you accuse me' by eric clapton.

My 2 cents on sport.... I am addicted to watching rugby...(played it for c15 years). Also enjoy playing golf and watching the majors. Actually played basketball for a while at varsity when i could not play rugby anymore. Nice game. Squash also a very nice game to keep fit. Love watching the tennis slams, specially the finals..

Keep up the practise and good luck with the studies.

Cheers
Barend

Thanks for stopping by! Honestly, it looks like a huge jump from stage 4 to stage 5.
The songs sound pretty good with just the basic strumming pattern up to and including stage 4.. 12 bar blues is a different ballgame entirely.

Have you ever ran a tough mudder or spartan race? I started training for that and its crazy! lots of hill runs, bodyweight exercises, etc..

Get The Forum As A Mobile App