Author Topic: Laptop battery or power adapter?  (Read 660 times)

Offline SiegeFrog

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 18
Laptop battery or power adapter?
« on: March 15, 2018, 03:31:11 pm »
I have a 5-year old budget Windows laptop. Over the past couple of months it’s been having power issues. The battery doesn’t charge consistently, loses charge quickly, or doesn’t charge at all even though it’s clearly plugged into power. Finally, this week it stopped working altogether. It refuses to turn on at all. I decided it was the battery, but then I ran a little test. I seemed to remember once I was able to run the laptop without the battery at all, so I removed the battery and started it up. It started, got to the login screen, and then died again. It won’t start again with or without the battery. So the question is do you think I have a bad battery or s bad power adapter?

Sent from my iPhone using JustinGuitar Community mobile app
Fender Squier Affinity HSS Stratocaster
Fender Mustang 1
Seagull Maritime SWS CW SG QI

Started BC January, 2014, Completed May, 2015

Offline glpguitar

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 10
Re: Laptop battery or power adapter?
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2018, 04:09:28 pm »
It is definitelly the power adapter. It happens quite often after few years of usage when the connections got bad (because the adapter is coiled many times) so I am almost certain it's the adapter's cable. A new adapter shouldn't be to expensive though.

Offline SiegeFrog

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 18
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2018, 05:09:31 pm »
Thanks for the tip. I ordered a new one today.

Sent from my iPhone using JustinGuitar.com Forum
Fender Squier Affinity HSS Stratocaster
Fender Mustang 1
Seagull Maritime SWS CW SG QI

Started BC January, 2014, Completed May, 2015

Offline Cue Zephyr

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 90
  • Who's picking the banjo here?
    • Ezyo Music
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2018, 07:41:48 pm »
It is definitelly the power adapter. It happens quite often after few years of usage when the connections got bad (because the adapter is coiled many times) so I am almost certain it's the adapter's cable. A new adapter shouldn't be to expensive though.
Only if it was designed badly. Like most of them. I have a Toshiba laptop that's over 7 years old and the adapter hasn't broken yet. I've packed and unpacked it on a daily basis for those 7 years.

So, if there's any possibility to get a better designed one I recommend it.

Worst case scenario, it's the connector itself that's soldered onto the motherboard. They can get loose because of the plugging and unplugging over time.
Guitar, banjo, mandolin and piano, bass and percussion only when needed
Production and mixing

Get The Forum As A Mobile App