Author Topic: Vox AMPlug AC30 vs Vox Pathfinder 10W (retaking guitar as a hobby)  (Read 317 times)

Offline esg098

• Good Vibes 0
Hey guys,

I'm planning on retaking my guitar sessions as a hobby, I already started playing again with my acoustic guitar w/ metal strings and I really liked playing again, but I do enjoy playing on electric guitar a lot more. So A little context, I live in a big appartment with oher 2 guys, noise would not be much of an issue but I would have to keep it down because of studying times and well that thing called night time.

So my question is basically the next, what would be best for a begginer-intermediate player that is retaking the electric guitar and plans to play as a hobby and for pleasure mainly. A proper practice amp (Pathfinder 10W) or a so-called battery powered amps (AMPlug AC30). According to the pricing in my country (Amazon is the cheapest option) the difference between the AMPlug and the Practice Amp is around ~$40-45 USD and I would still have to buy new strings for the guitar, plus if I buy the Pathfinder I would have to buy the new audio cable and most likely an adapter for my headphones for when I'm practicing in private.

Also, as a side note, the AMPlug AC30 comes with some included FX modiffiers (Chorus, Tremolo, Reverb, etc.), whereas the Pathfinder 10W does not. I would not use those effects as much a serious guitar player, but it sure is a great feature to have when it is indeed needed.

What do you think guys, am I talking nonsense?
Thanks in advance,
EESG.

Offline DarrellW

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 63
  • What on earth was I going to do???
Re: Vox AMPlug AC30 vs Vox Pathfinder 10W (retaking guitar as a hobby)
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2018, 05:46:45 am »
Check this thread out, you might find a better and less expensive option:
https://justinguitarcommunity.com/index.php?topic=43185.0
My singing sucks so I’m learning Guitar and Ukulele, it’s fun 🌟

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 373
  • Teesside, North East England.
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2018, 09:18:56 am »
Those Vox AmPlug were trail blazing in their heyday (quite a long time ago now in terms of technology developments) but better has come along since.
If you're trying to compare a small amp with headphone outlet to smaller portable plug-in devices for headphone only then you have huge options.
It might be easier to limit yourself by asking which type you really want.
Will you ever be able to play through an amp without headphones? If so, then get a small amp. And we can soon start you off looking with some simple recommendations. You will quickly tire of always having to play with headphones on. If not, then you need to look at smartphone app development and the link Darrell provided may be of interest.

Offline jono

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 10
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2018, 09:40:43 am »
I have a AmPlug and although it sounds OK I only use it when I really have to. I prefer to use headphones and an amp when quiet is needed. The controls on the Vox are just too awkward to use easily. 
You could also look for a second hand full size amp with a power attenuator ( Vox VT series can be quite cheap). These can be turned down really low when needed.

Sent from my [device_name] using JustinGuitar Community mobile app

Offline embishop

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 55
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2018, 04:14:16 pm »
I have a Vox AmPlug Classic Rock which I use all the time and think is great - but I'm using it at work when I practice my guitar, so for what I use it for it's perfect, nice and small and a decent enough sound through my ear buds.

Mari (Mary)
Epiphone SG400, Taylor 325ce, Martin OMCPA5, Ovation Balladeer
Boss Katana 50, Boss RC-1 loop pedal
Yamaha Clavinova CLP-525 digital piano, Boss VE-2 Vocal Harmonist

Get The Forum As A Mobile App