Author Topic: Which version of B chord do you guys play?  (Read 866 times)

Offline Barend

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 11
Which version of B chord do you guys play?
« on: March 11, 2018, 06:10:57 am »
Hi

I have figured out that my vocal range fits better with songs played in keys of E or F instead of G. Like most men I am a baritone... range E3 to A4. Problem is that the keys E and F contains a lot of the dreaded B chord.

I am still working through the beginners course ( just finished B7, C7 and Fmaj7) but can also play a few Barre chords with the E shape.

Do you recommend me putting in the time and effort to learn a B Barre chord on the 3rd fret with A shape on the 5th fret or just settle with the B barre on 7th fret with E shape.

The B open chord with root on the 5th string 2nd fret plus 4th fret 3rd string plus 4th fret 4th string looks do-able, but why put in the time on this open chord if I will eventually have to learn the B barre with A shape on 3rd fret?

Maybe I should simply stick with the G key and start some vocal training to extend my range on the high side.  Have to consider potential mocking from my wife and kids  though  ::)

Would love to listen to your advice. As my professor used to say: "Please give me the simplicity on the other side of the complexity.";)

Offline Joerfe

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 107
Re: Which version of B chord do you guys play?
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2018, 07:16:31 am »
If you find youself often in keys containing a B, I’d make sure to learn all the B shapes.
This way you have possibilities meaning you can choose which version fits the song best.
Also, if you record a song you can play one B chord as rhythm and lay another version on top of that.
- don’t hold yourself back by learning just one. Give yourself opportunities by learning multiple.
/Jesper

Sigma SOMR28H, Fender Classic '50s Tele, Fender Std Stratocaster, Gibson lpj '14, BOSS Katana 100-212 amp.
Me on da Soundcloud https://soundcloud.com/jesper-j-rgensen-11

Offline Yellowpinky

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2018, 09:34:54 am »
Hi, Mocking is harsh. In the belief your professor is wise.... Your proposal is logical now but long term not be the simple solution & will make chord changes from B on 7th fret back to open chords more difficult for fast clean changes. Only a thought and your proposal is a good interim to keep playing and singing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 399
  • Teesside, North East England.
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2018, 09:40:12 am »
You do right to consider the pitch of your voice.
Two things to consider: either a capo or a baritone guitar.
Just something different to consider.
 :)

Offline Cue Zephyr

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 88
  • Who's picking the banjo here?
    • Ezyo Music
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2018, 02:05:51 pm »
I rarely use the barre chord. Because I usually don't like it in context. Do learn it though, because there will be times it does fit or the music specifically calls for it.

Here's what I generally do. I don't expect you to get any of this when you're still working on the BC, but you can come back to it when you're up for it.
In the key of E or a transposition of it (using a capo), I play a combination of these:
I - E5: 022400
I - E5: 079900
I 1st inversion - E/G#: 4x2400
ii - F#m11: 2x4200 (thumb-over)
iii - G#mb6: 4x6400 (thumb-over)
IV - Asus2: x02200
IV - Aadd9: 5x7600
IV - Aadd9: x07600
V - Bsus4: x24400
V - Badd11: 7x9800
[edit bVI] bvi - Cmaj7: x35500
vi - C#m7: x46600
vi - C#m7: x42400
[edit bVII] bvii- Dsus2add13: x57700

I do similar things in the keys of A and D.

I play them this way because it makes for awesome rhythm guitar sounds, both acoustic and electric. Very open, ringing sounds.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2018, 08:22:04 pm by close2u »
Guitar, banjo, mandolin and piano, bass and percussion only when needed
Production and mixing

Offline Barend

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 11
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2018, 07:18:12 pm »
Thks for all the suggestions Guys

I decided to tackle Bsus4 first as this is the easiest (imho) to do.  Also will start working on the normal B chord. It's going to be a long road...

A lot of what I am practicing / working on now will only show reward longer term. Reality of life.

To be fair to my family Yellowpinky... mocking will be friendly teasing rather than anything nasty.

Cue Zephyr: my  interpretation of your message:  The I, ii, ii, IV, V,vi refers to chord progressions with your examples referring to the key of E. For the 4th chord in the progression, which for E maj is A, you suggested 3 alternative A's... with the code next to each chord being the tab. Am I following correctly?

I understand that being to play different voicings of standrad chords adds a lot to one's repertoire.

Interesting that you B chord alternatives include Bsus4 (the easy one :)), underlines my decision to start with Bsus 4.

I find it interesting that all your alternative chords (voicings ) only use 3 fingers, which is encouraging to someone like me still working through BC .

Ok, enough chatter, back to the guitar.

Thks once again for all your inputs. Much appreciated

Bye
Barend

Offline Cue Zephyr

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 88
  • Who's picking the banjo here?
    • Ezyo Music
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2018, 07:40:17 pm »
Yeah, it basically short-hand tab notation. It's EADGBe from left to right.
So your open C chord looks like this: x32010 and your open G looks like: 320033 or 320003 depending on how you voice it.

Like you said, the Roman numerals indicate the chord degree in the key, or relative to the key of E. I say that because bVI and bVII are not in the key, but are often used in that key nonetheless. Capitalized being major and non-capitalized being minor.

Yup, all the voicings use three fingers or fewer. I like them because you can keep your B and E strings ringing which yields a very smooth transition between chords. The chords can sound a little ambiguous but I personally love that about them.
Guitar, banjo, mandolin and piano, bass and percussion only when needed
Production and mixing

Offline Barend

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 11
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2018, 03:53:25 pm »
Thks Cue Zephyr.

Offline tobyjenner

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 103
  • You're never too old to Rock'n'Roll
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2018, 01:45:49 pm »
I rarely use the barre chord. Because I usually don't like it in context. Do learn it though, because there will be times it does fit or the music specifically calls for it.

Here's what I generally do. I don't expect you to get any of this when you're still working on the BC, but you can come back to it when you're up for it.
In the key of E or a transposition of it (using a capo), I play a combination of these:
I - E5: 022400
I - E5: 079900
I 1st inversion - E/G#: 4x2400
ii - F#m11: 2x4200 (thumb-over)
iii - G#mb6: 4x6400 (thumb-over)
IV - Asus2: x02200
IV - Aadd9: 5x7600
IV - Aadd9: x07600
V - Bsus4: x24400
V - Badd11: 7x9800
[edit bVI] bvi - Cmaj7: x35500
vi - C#m7: x46600
vi - C#m7: x42400
[edit bVII] bvii- Dsus2add13: x57700

I do similar things in the keys of A and D.

I play them this way because it makes for awesome rhythm guitar sounds, both acoustic and electric. Very open, ringing sounds.

Hey Cue

This is a very useful list and has certainly given me a few extra ideas. Gonna monkey around with some of these this evening. Thanks for sharing.

Cheers

Toby
 8)

To the OP, I'm post IM and working through Blues Rhythm but tend to stick with the E and A shape barres for B. However, I know I should learn some alternate fingerings which I know I'll cover learning mini bar(re)s, and more triads etc. Do what works for now while working through the BC and expand as you progress further. 8)
Arrived here Mar 2013 Since completed BC, RUST 1 & 2, IM and MTMS Now on Blues Rhythm and Blues Lead
My Soundcloud : https://soundcloud.com/tobyjenner/
Roadcase : https://justinguitarcommunity.com/index.php?topic=39537.msg339454#msg33945

Offline DarkHorse

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 3
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2018, 12:03:08 am »
Some options, not simple, until you nail a B voicing;
• Use a capo to play in E or F with chords you know how to play
• tune your guitar down an entire tone like Paul McCartney did for Yesterday. Then you can play in F using the standard open chords in the key of G. Again you may need help with this

If you want to "properly" play in the keys of E or F without my suggestions you're going to need all major and minor barre chord shapes that Justin teaches in his IM, really.

In E, 4/6 of the chords require barres unless you use slightly contrived open voicings e.g. C#m/E: ××2120
In F, 3/6.

Happy to help with my suggestions

Sent from my [device_name] using JustinGuitar Community mobile app

Get The Forum As A Mobile App