Author Topic: Sharing my experience as an ear training student  (Read 2937 times)

Offline Barend

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 11
Re: Sharing my experience as an ear training student
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2018, 06:38:11 pm »
Once you’ve figured out what suits you to get it right it becomes much easier, you’ve just proved that; great stuff and excellent progress

Sent from my [device_name] using JustinGuitar Community mobile app

Offline Barend

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 11
« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2018, 07:07:12 am »
I am close to 2 months into the ear training, doing about 30 mins first thing every morning.

I first focused on doing the 4th and 5th intervals together until I scored 100%. That was followed by doing the 2nd and 3rd together till 100% score.

On moving on to doing all 4 intervals together (2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th) I performed surprisingly poorly - scoring around 50%. 

After a few weeks, I improved my score to a steady 70%. I only have time to go up to a score of 20 points as I repeat the same interval a number of times before deciding what it is.

This morning I scored 81% for 20 correct, a step up from my usual 70, which is exciting.

I find that I make more mistakes early on in each session and get really good toward the end.

Plan is to continue with this until I get 100% for all 4. I also want to reduce the number of times that I have to listen to each interval before moving on.

I have to concentrate fully on the notes being played. If I get lazy my performance drops off quickly.

I am singing the songs for each interval and also singing do, re, me, fa, so... to help me pick the intervals.  I don't think there is a quick fix ito method other than building your ability to recognise and remember the intervals.

I am really happy with the progress, it gives me quite a bit of a kick  ;D

Offline embishop

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 67
« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2018, 10:12:17 pm »
Sounds great Barend. I lost my focus over the past few weeks so haven't done much of anything. Reading about your progress is inspiring me to get back into this App.
Gretsch G5420T,  Epiphone SG400, Taylor 325ce, Martin OMCPA5
Boss Katana 50, Boss RC-1 loop pedal
Yamaha Clavinova CLP-525 digital piano

Offline Barend

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 11
« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2018, 10:29:21 pm »
Sounds great Barend. I lost my focus over the past few weeks so haven't done much of anything. Reading about your progress is inspiring me to get back into this App.
Hi Mari
How are you progressing?

I am now at the point where I get in the 90's, still needs a lot of concentration but going faster. Nice to be able to distinguish the notes more clearly. The 3rd and 4th still trips me up... especially when the notes are high.

Happy practising your side!

Offline embishop

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 67
« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2018, 08:14:51 pm »
Hi Mari
How are you progressing?

OMG I'm awful! Lol at least there's something to practice when my guitar isn't handy :)

Mari

Offline embishop

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 67
« Reply #20 on: May 25, 2018, 02:26:34 pm »
Once you’ve figured out what suits you to get it right it becomes much easier

That is true! I figured I can't really be this bad (well hoped) so I went looking for other songs and then realized that the opening notes of O Canada are a minor 3rd not a perfect 4th! I'm using correct intervals as my reference notes now and am doing so much better! 😃
« Last Edit: May 25, 2018, 04:39:07 pm by embishop »

Offline DarrellW

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 83
  • What on earth was I going to do???
« Reply #21 on: May 25, 2018, 02:35:30 pm »
I'm using correct intervals as my reference notes now and am doing so much better! 😃
That is the crux of it, regardless of what you use as the reference it must have the correct interval!
Tunes are great if you can find ones you like as reference but if I can't find anything I use my wife's Electric piano to play the notes and memorise it.
My singing sucks so I’m learning Guitar and Ukulele, it’s fun 🌟

Offline Barend

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 11
« Reply #22 on: June 09, 2018, 06:42:21 pm »
 Another update...

I moved on to the 5th, 6th and 7th intervals. Only focusing on these 3 for now before tackling all 8 together.

I find it takes me a few weeks of repeating the same intervals every morning before I really start remembering/ recognising it.

I have been looking for shortcuts / secret recipes to speed up the process. After a while I realised that the major ingredient in the secret sauce is simply repetition.

Happy ear training.
Barend

Get The Forum As A Mobile App