Author Topic: Sharing my experience as an ear training student  (Read 5753 times)

Offline Barend

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 11
Sharing my experience as an ear training student
« on: March 10, 2018, 04:44:15 am »
Sharing some of my experience as a first-time ear trainer. Just for the fun of it and hopefully it provides a bit of motivation to others starting off.

Thanks to Justin for making the app available for free - it is not user friendly but I am sure it will be upgraded eventually  :)

I have been doing the interval training diligently every morning first thing for last 2 weeks - say for 10 mins at a time.

I also do an hour a day guitar practice session in the evenings. [My wife is about to kick me out of the TV room for playing the same chord changes over and over. I am considering buying her earphones that can plug into the TV for her next birthday..hehehehe]

Back to ear training...
I manually set the ear training app to select major 2nd, perfect 4th and 5th.(select training mode and then click the check boxes next to the desired intervals). The process is a bit repetitive / time consuming...but hey, it is free, so no complaints.  Wish I could save my settings though  :)

I always thought I had a decent ear but doing the interval training gave me a solid reality check.

I first tried to listen and distinguish the intervals "from scratch" - I scored around 30%, which is the same as randomly guessing the 3 intervals. A frustrating start and a major bump to the ego..lol

I then downloaded a piano keyboard and played the scale for a bit before starting the interval exercise. This helped.

I started off by trying to "sing" in my mind the full scale and then pick the right interval once the app plays the 2 notes.  That approach/technique did not work well - scores in the 50%

I am now using the first 2 notes of the following three songs: silent night ( for major 2nd), amazing grace ( perfect 4th) and twinkle twinkle ( perfect 5th) to distinguish between the intervals. This works better, my scores are up in the mid 60's now.

I struggle more with intervals starting with high (or very low) notes. The major 2nd is easier than the other two.

I sometimes get a short "run" where I recognise each interval immediately. Hopefully this is a sign of things to come. Often I have to play the 2 notes of the interval 3 to 4 times before I can make up my mind.

It really humbles (ok..and frustrates :o) me when I mistake a major 2nd for a perfect 5th.

My target is to score more than 90% without having to replay intervals and without having to sing the songs.... I will update my progress here.

Will be fun if you share your experience as well.

Happy ear training!
Barend

Offline DavidP

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 189
  • You're always learning about guitars-Keef Richards
Re: Sharing my experience as an ear training student
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2018, 05:38:34 am »
Great post, Barend, thanks for sharing your experience.

I look forward to celebrating with you on the day when you achieve your objective. For that day will come...as you continue deliberate practice to learn. Only the when is uncertain. 

Offline Barend

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 11
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2018, 01:42:16 pm »
 8)

Offline Garfield

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 27
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2018, 10:02:45 pm »
Thanks sharing bared I have a long commute. I've not looked at the app. Is this something I could try in the car do you think?

Sent from my [device_name] using JustinGuitar Community mobile app

Offline embishop

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 72
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2018, 04:02:57 pm »
I always thought I had a decent ear but doing the interval training gave me a solid reality check.

Conversely I think I have a crap ear! Especially for all the piano theory I’ve taken!! I'm glad you posted this, I just went and bought the App for $2.79 Cdn (good price) as I can certainly use some ear training.

Thanks sharing bared I have a long commute. I've not looked at the app. Is this something I could try in the car do you think?

Gareth, you listen to the notes and then pick what the interval is, so unless you're the passenger I wouldn't recommend it as a car App! I plan to use it in spare 5 & 10 minute pieces of time. Good way for both you and Wren to learn intervals perhaps?? :)

Gretsch G5420T,  Epiphone SG400, Taylor 325ce, Martin OMCPA5
Boss Katana 50, Boss RC-1 loop pedal
Yamaha Clavinova CLP-525 digital piano

Offline Garfield

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 27
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2018, 08:24:31 pm »
Oh okay maybe not then. I was wondering if it was a piece of audio I could listen to and guess at. I've been thinking of putting something like that together to listen to on my commute.

Offline Barend

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 11
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2018, 04:45:46 am »
Conversely I think I have a crap ear! Especially for all the piano theory I’ve taken!! I'm glad you posted this, I just went and bought the App for $2.79 Cdn (good price) as I can certainly use some ear training.

Gareth, you listen to the notes and then pick what the interval is, so unless you're the passenger I wouldn't recommend it as a car App! I plan to use it in spare 5 & 10 minute pieces of time. Good way for both you and Wren to learn intervals perhaps?? :)
The pleasure is mine, Mari Keep us up to date with your progress.

Offline Barend

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 11
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2018, 04:49:04 am »
Oh okay maybe not then. I was wondering if it was a piece of audio I could listen to and guess at. I've been thinking of putting something like that together to listen to on my commute.

It requires my full attention / concentration to get a decent score. Perhapd you can join a lift club ...

Offline Barend

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 11
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2018, 06:40:46 am »
Hearing correctly vs remembering the sounds correctly :

I discovered that I have very good hearing but my memory of the sound is very very poor.   If I first listen to the sound of a perfect 4th interval (for example) and then have to distinguish between that and a perfect 5th, I score very high marks.  On the other hand, If I start fresh in the morning using the app to distinguish between the 4th and 5th interval's , I score quite low.

After scoring quite low this morning, I am shifting my focus to try and remember the interval sounds better.

Having a better understanding of the challenge improves the motivation. ;D

Offline embishop

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 72
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2018, 12:44:15 am »
Just working on this for a couple days now and I like your 90% goal, Barend, I'm going to use that too. Level 1 in the paid app is major 2nds, perfect 4ths, and perfect 5th. I remembered from my piano theory days that O Canada starts on a perfect 4th so that's a good one for that for me. The 5th I'm trying just to think of as a nice harmonizing note since r-3-5 is the chord, and I'm thinking do-re for the 2nd. I'm not at 90% yet but I'm doing better than I thought I would since I do think I have a crap ear. I think it'll be a great app, very helpful. Plus I put it right next to my Justin Guitar note trainer app to remind myself to get back to learning the fretboard!!
Gretsch G5420T,  Epiphone SG400, Taylor 325ce, Martin OMCPA5
Boss Katana 50, Boss RC-1 loop pedal
Yamaha Clavinova CLP-525 digital piano

Offline Barend

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 11
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2018, 05:57:55 am »
Hi Mari (y)

I hit paydirt...  :)

This morning I scored 86%!. I started off slow but towards the end I was getting everything correct. I am only testing myself on the 4th and 5th intervals.  I use twinkle twinkle little star for the 5th and amazing grace for the 4th.  A real game changer for me ito approach is to listen to the 2 notes and then sing to myself the first 3 notes of the song. Only if the 3 notes together sounds correct do I make a final decision.  Only focusing on the first 2 notes of the song does not work that well..

Nice to see some progress.

I am also learning the notes on the fretboard - only the top 2 strings at this stage. I try to think of random notes ( G, E , D , C ,etc) and then identify them on the 1st and then 2nd string.  I do it for a few minutes towards end of every practice session.

Happy guitaring

Offline DarrellW

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 84
  • What on earth was I going to do???
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2018, 07:33:17 am »
Hey Barend, progress is good!!!
Using a song you know to get intervals is the best idea, I’ve always used it but sometimes it takes a while to find a suitable song, 7ths were always my nemesis but Justin’s latest video on interval training has come up with a cracker that I know :) - Take on me by Aha!!!
https://youtu.be/_rUQtJDJBAE
My singing sucks so I’m learning Guitar and Ukulele, it’s fun 🌟

Offline Barend

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 11
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2018, 04:58:53 pm »
Hi Darrell

Thks for sharing. I know Take on me well... so the 7th should be easy when I get there.

Offline Barend

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 11
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2018, 07:01:58 am »
Progress update on 4th and 5th's (in the interest of science  ;)):

I scored 100% this am ;D - never doubted or guessed anything - very happy Justinguitar student... lol

The key for me is to listen to the interval and then sing the first 3 notes of either amazing grace or twinkle twinkle to myself. On the third note, I can distinguish the interval being played.

Hope this helps.

Happy Guitaring
B

Offline DarrellW

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 84
  • What on earth was I going to do???
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2018, 07:30:29 am »
Once you’ve figured out what suits you to get it right it becomes much easier, you’ve just proved that; great stuff and excellent progress 👍👍👍
My singing sucks so I’m learning Guitar and Ukulele, it’s fun 🌟

Get The Forum As A Mobile App