Author Topic: Updates! New band, upcoming album, new day job, etc...  (Read 882 times)

Offline Hollywood

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 41
    • Official Website
Updates! New band, upcoming album, new day job, etc...
« on: March 08, 2018, 04:37:21 pm »
Hey guys!
I haven't been on here in quite a while, and it was suggested by a fellow member that I should return and post some updates (and ask for some help, if anyone is interested).  This is gonna be long, I apologize in advance!

To any new members - hi!  To those who remember me - good to see you again!! (well, virtually-speaking  ;) )  I'm in a new band, Lighting Matches (which is now a FULL BAND!!) with Matt.  He's the guy I was performing with a bit a year or 2 ago who helped record my first EP and introduced me to my producer.  Next month will be a year performing together regularly... June will be a year together as a couple.  So far, this setup is actually working incredibly well for us. 

Matt is also a professional wedding DJ, and he's gotten me into doing photography at weddings, which is proving to be a really nice day-job of sorts.  I've nearly got 20 weddings booked this year, which is going to keep me from needing a 9-5 office job. 

It's still frustrating trying to book shows and what not, but we're cranking along pretty well.  We've got a drummer and recently found a keyboardist/bass player, which allows all of us to alternate between instruments.  We want to try to keep it at 4 members for now.  I've actually been learning some simple bass guitar for some songs, some piano, some lead guitar.  I'm not great at any of those but I can learn some simple stuff which gives us more freedom as a band.  Our drummer is also a classically trained viola player, which is a pretty cool skill that we are definitely utilizing! 

We've also been writing like CRAZY and it's going to actually be hard to narrow down song choices for an album.  Which brings me to my help plea. 

We're saving up to do a full album as Lighting Matches.  It's going to end up costing around $3,000 USD - so far, we've got about $300 saved up from gig tips and from our fundraiser.  If you'd like to help out, even $5 helps, because it's $5 less that will have to come out of my incredibly tiny pocket - Matt and I will likely be splitting the brunt of the payments. 

Anyway, if you're interested in checking out our fundraiser, I've got one going through IndieGoGo.  Here's the link to it.  If you can share it with your friends who might like our music, that would be really nice of you, too.  We've only got a week or 2 left in the fundraiser.

http://igg.me/at/lightingmatches

If you like our page on Facebook (www.facebook.com/lightingmatchesmusic), there's a short video clip of us rehearsing as a full band.  But we've got a big show tomorrow night that I will get video from, and if I remember, I'll post some on here! 

My biggest thing I know that I need to work on is stage presence and loosening up while performing.  I've improved a lot over the past year, but I feel like I'm still kind of stiff and awkward on stage when I don't have a guitar in my hands.  If anyone has tips or good resources on improving that, please share!

Frontwoman of folk-rock band Lighting Matches
www.LightingMatches.weebly.com
www.Facebook.com/LightingMatchesMusic

Debut solo EP "Destination Sunday" (Rachel White)

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 387
  • Teesside, North East England.
Re: Updates! New band, upcoming album, new day job, etc...
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2018, 04:51:36 pm »
Great to see you back with such a positive update.
The music is taking off and you have an allied job too ... weddings, music, photography - it all links in.
Superb.
I've been following on FB so already watched and liked those vids.
Keep the flame burning and the dream alive.
 :)

Offline DarrellW

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 78
  • What on earth was I going to do???
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2018, 05:34:15 pm »
Great stuff!!!
Good to hear things are going well for you and Matt and a new band.... wow!
Need to listen to the new tracks on something decent, phones are not the best way to listen!
Good luck for the future and keep in touch with us 😃
My singing sucks so I’m learning Guitar and Ukulele, it’s fun 🌟

Offline tobyjenner

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 97
  • You're never too old to Rock'n'Roll
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2018, 06:33:02 pm »
Racheal

Just quickly skimmed through this as dealing with post burst pipe aftermath and things are up in the air at the moment. Will take a more in depth look when the dust settles but it sounds like a great adventure and great that things are moving upwards so to speak.

Cheers

Toby
 8)
BC Mar 2013 to Jan 2015 IM April 2015 to Mar 2016
Currently consolidating IM then Blues Rhythm & MTMS
https://soundcloud.com/tobyjenner/
TOBY JENNER’S CAS DE LA ROUTE / ROADCASE
https://justinguitarcommunity.com/index.php?topic=39537.msg339454#msg339454

Offline batwoman

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 70
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2018, 01:02:48 am »
What a thrill to read your post Rachael, thanks for dropping by to share the love. You sure have made progress in big leaps and bounds. Round of applause for your persistence and not losing faith in yourself or your dream. The photography sounds like a really neat fit in your lifestyle, network and gives you yet another creative outlet. I'll share your fundraiser and hope it goes way over target for you.

Really happy for you. Big hugs.  :-*

Offline Hollywood

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 41
    • Official Website
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2018, 10:03:00 pm »
Thank you! :) 

And another update - we played our first show this past Friday with our full band in it's new lineup.  Here are a few videos!!  This was -MY- first show with a full band, period.  I've played sets with the drummer a few times, but this was a complete band and it was soooo much fun and I'm so happy with how far we've come in the past year!

We got the disco ball for this one.  :D

And HERE is an example of multiple mess-ups that were handled really well, in my opinion.  A couple of spots of forgotten lyrics and a drumstick that took a jump for freedom.  I think everyone recovered well and the song itself sounds pretty good in my opinion!  Couldn't hear myself super well on any of these (probably due to a drum kit and an amp being 5 feet behind me) but I think we did pretty well overall. 

Offline Dan Graves

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 168
  • Is on the Outside, looking in
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2018, 11:04:17 pm »
Well, it's good to see you didn't give up on a musical career.
I'll say this on stage presence, when looking at other forum users; SandMarx (before they were called that, as far as i remember) did not have good stage presence at the start, but with a bit of advice from the forum, and a boatload of experience (which is the best teaching tool there is), they became a really good (live) band, in my not so humble opinion.
And i'd say your stage presence isn't bad at all, you just need more experience playing with the band, from my POV.

On a different (but related) note;
Some of your songs remind me of the band Rainer Maria :

Style is different obviously, but tone and harmony wise, i'm reminded of some of their early songs.

As for the IndieGoGo campaign, i wish i could contribute, but unfortunately it's creditcard only  :(
"So the secret to good self-esteem is to lower your expectations to the point where they are already met?" -- Hobbes
"Right. We should take pride in our mediocrity!" -- Calvin

Offline Hollywood

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 41
    • Official Website
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2018, 03:45:26 pm »
And i'd say your stage presence isn't bad at all, you just need more experience playing with the band, from my POV.

As for the IndieGoGo campaign, i wish i could contribute, but unfortunately it's creditcard only  :(

Thanks.  :)  I'm kind of self-conscious when I'm on stage and still working on seeming natural and relaxed when I don't have a guitar in my hands... it's kind of weird trying to remember to be a little dance-y!

What method would you prefer?  Didn't even realize that was a thing... I could've mentioned in the notes that people could PayPal me directly if they wanted to contribute but that would probably be in poor taste. 

Not that having a fundraiser asking for donations is high-class to begin with... lol... but it will be mostly Matt and I fronting the money so I don't feel bad putting it out there.  Haha.  I've been setting aside all of the tips we've made the past month or 2, and so far, between that and the donations, we've got around 8-9 hours of studio time.  Which is a decent chunk but about one song at most and we'll need 12 or 13. 

Offline glpguitar

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 7
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2018, 08:52:53 am »
Just saw this on Facebook and thought it is worth a share.

Hopefully it is not treated as spam (if it is, admins please remove the post).

Good luck Rachel!

Get The Forum As A Mobile App