Author Topic: Help with rhythm of a song please  (Read 1003 times)

Offline zedhead

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 1
Help with rhythm of a song please
« on: April 19, 2018, 01:46:02 pm »
https://youtu.be/CSBZ2S_JnEU
Hello, I’m trying to learn Got me Wrong by AIC via the link above, hopefully it’s there!
I’m having trouble with getting the rhythm to fit with what is being played, I’m assuming it’s 16th note strumming but I’m probably wrong.
I’ve worked out the verse and got it to fit into a bar but the rest of it I can’t figure out. I’m relatively new to 16th note strumming but generally I can do it if I write it down as Justin says and take it slowly.
    I’m hoping someone could decipher the strumming and write it down, hint hint Close, Stitch etc!!
I’ve been having nightmares about down and ups!!! Any help appreciated massively.
 Cheers

Offline Drubbing

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 100
Re: Help with rhythm of a song please
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2018, 02:29:16 pm »
I don't understand the issue. The guy in the vid explains it very well. He tells you the pattern and plays it through clearly. It's not 16ths, it's simply lots of muted strums to a simple pattern

Offline zedhead

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 1
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2018, 02:47:40 pm »
It sounds like I’m over complicating it. I can mostly play it as he does but when I wrote it down as I usually do I couldn’t get it to fit. Thanks for your reply, time to practice.

Offline stitch101

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 170
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2018, 05:01:36 pm »
Close your eyes and listen to what he's playing. Use you ears not your eyes.
Find the acoustic version on youtube and listen to it over and over until the rhythm is in your head.

Offline zedhead

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 1
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2018, 06:08:02 pm »
I suppose what I’m asking is, Justin always goes through the rhythm and at my level it fits into 1&2&3&4& or 1e+a2 etc. This song, to me anyway, doesn’t seem to do it. Is this not always the case? Sorry if I’m being dense but as always with me I’m over analysing things. Thanks for your patience.

Offline Drubbing

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 100
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2018, 10:04:11 am »
As stitch says, forget the 1 and 2s. Listen. If your ears are working it out, don't write stuff down. You have to hear rhythms to play them, the basic patterns are only written and learned rote to help people get started.

The things that throwing you is the mutes. Yes, there's some 8th notes strums thrown in there, but they are simply percussive mutes in the pattern to define the rhythm.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2018, 10:37:46 am by Drubbing »

Offline zedhead

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 1
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2018, 02:33:28 pm »
Thanks chaps you’ve been a great help. I’ve got most of it but the C#major is giving me hip as it’s new to me. As I always say I’ll get there..... eventually! Cheers

Get The Forum As A Mobile App