Author Topic: What is going on with my B string?  (Read 1007 times)

Offline vkk1991

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 0
What is going on with my B string?
« on: March 07, 2018, 03:50:01 am »
I got this guitar 3 weeks ago, and as of 2 days ago, its been making this very very strange ringing noise whenever the second fret in the b string is involved.

h t t p s : / / w w w .youtube.com/watch?v=aT66JXEUWcs

It's a Martin DX1AE, which was probably my first mistake. Buying a guitar without checking out every other guitar in my price range at the store

Kinda upset that i dropped $600 on this guitar and this already happens, going to stick to laminated guitars next time  >:( oh well, lesson learned i guess.

Thanks!

Offline simon3142

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 4
Re: What is going on with my B string?
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2018, 11:19:02 am »
It may be that the guitar needs a little adjustment. If you bought the guitar at a store within easy reach, take it back and explain the problem and ask them to do a set up.
It is normal for guitar stores to offer a free setup after you have had a chance to play a new guitar for a while.
Gear: Aparicio AA30, Ibanez AS103, Simon&Patrick Woodland Mini Jumbo, Cube X20
Youtube:
http://www.youtube.com/user/simon3142

Offline vkk1991

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2018, 05:45:03 pm »
It may be that the guitar needs a little adjustment. If you bought the guitar at a store within easy reach, take it back and explain the problem and ask them to do a set up.
It is normal for guitar stores to offer a free setup after you have had a chance to play a new guitar for a while.

Its snowing quite hard on the east coast today so I will take it in tomorrow to get it checked out, will update later..

Offline stitch101

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 153
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2018, 08:14:45 pm »
going to stick to laminated guitars
I'm not sure what you mean by this statement. Your Martin DX1AE is a HPL (High Pressure Laminate)guitar

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aT66JXEUWcs

As for the ringing noise check the setting on your amp if your not plugged in you Iphone is kicking
in and out.

Offline vkk1991

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2018, 11:11:20 pm »
I'm not sure what you mean by this statement. Your Martin DX1AE is a HPL (High Pressure Laminate)guitar

As for the ringing noise check the setting on your amp if your not plugged in you Iphone is kicking
in and out.

I don't own an amp..

I thought laminated guitars had that glossy coating on them so that humidifiers, etc... are not needed. Am i wrong here?

Will reshoot it tonight with iphone on a more stable surface.. maybe im just going nuts, but we'll see tomorrow..

Offline DarrellW

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 78
  • What on earth was I going to do???
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2018, 08:19:02 am »
Here you go a full review of your guitar complete with a full description of its construction, you definitely have a very nice guitar and would be very hard pushed to find anything better for the price!
If there is a problem with how it’s been set up then the shop should rectify it!
https://spinditty.com/instruments-gear/Martin-DX1AE-Acoustic-Electric-Guitar-Review
My singing sucks so I’m learning Guitar and Ukulele, it’s fun 🌟

Offline stitch101

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 153
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2018, 05:49:14 pm »

I thought laminated guitars had that glossy coating on them so that humidifiers, etc... are not needed. Am i wrong here?

The finish on a guitar has nothing to do with what it's made of. There are gloss and satin finishes on both solid wood
and laninated guitars. Laminate is layers of wood or paper and glue or resin pressed together to simulate solid wood.

If you live in a dry area or you have to heat your home alot in the winter and you're guitar is made of wood you should
buy a hygrometer to check the Relative Humidity in your home.  If it goes below 40% for long periods of time you
should humidify. Your guitar has a solid spruce top. If it has dried out this could be causing the sound your hearing.

Humidifing doesn't have to be expensive or hard. You could chose as i do and humidify your house or just your guitar
case. But you needto know if you need to or not and that is where a hygrometer comes in. The in side ofyour house
isn't to same RH as the out side so relying on the weather report won't help you.

Offline Yellowpinky

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2018, 08:01:53 pm »
Does it only happen when strumming several strings and fretting B on 2nd? What if you only pick B string and fret? It could be something is not right and your hitting a  resonating frequency that is creating the weird sound. Try also covering the sound hole with a piece of cardboard and repeat. As with other comments, take it back to be heard by the shop but try a few things to give direction.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline vkk1991

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2018, 03:06:14 pm »
I went to the guitar shop today and they said that the strings definitely need to be changed. It seems that my guitar's strings are very old and need to be replaced asap. Im taking it to another store which only charges for the strings today. 

I played the A chord and the issue was still going on. They told me to play it another way and suddenly the after ringing stopped. Ofcourse, as soon as i got home either way i played the A chord the ringing continued.

Saw a Seagull Entourage Rustic and fell in love.. really want to buy it.

The finish on a guitar has nothing to do with what it's made of. There are gloss and satin finishes on both solid wood
and laninated guitars. Laminate is layers of wood or paper and glue or resin pressed together to simulate solid wood.

If you live in a dry area or you have to heat your home alot in the winter and you're guitar is made of wood you should
buy a hygrometer to check the Relative Humidity in your home.  If it goes below 40% for long periods of time you
should humidify. Your guitar has a solid spruce top. If it has dried out this could be causing the sound your hearing.

Humidifing doesn't have to be expensive or hard. You could chose as i do and humidify your house or just your guitar
case. But you needto know if you need to or not and that is where a hygrometer comes in. The in side ofyour house
isn't to same RH as the out side so relying on the weather report won't help you.

I live in the Philly area were the winter is unpredictable. Sometimes we'll have 65 degree weather and sometimes it will be 35 degrees out.

I usually just throw the humidifier in the case. Didn't know that i needed it only if the humidity is low.. Ill grab a hygrometer today..

Offline vkk1991

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2018, 03:38:02 am »
Got my strings changed only for the cost of the strings

And oh my god the sound is so rich, I really really like the crispy and rich tones the the guitar is now producing. Feels like I bought a brand new guitar.

Now I’m super motivated to do practice even harder to work through stage 2 and 2 of the beginners course

Offline DarrellW

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 78
  • What on earth was I going to do???
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2018, 09:08:58 am »
Glad it was only the strings, it’s always the first thing I do if I get a new guitar, they are usually either not the best quality or oxidised, for the cost of doing it it’s definitely worth doing!
My singing sucks so I’m learning Guitar and Ukulele, it’s fun 🌟

Get The Forum As A Mobile App