Author Topic: Any Recs For a True Beginner Lefty?  (Read 1238 times)

Offline ziegfeldgirl

• Good Vibes 0
Any Recs For a True Beginner Lefty?
« on: March 01, 2018, 01:53:25 am »
I've tried, but I'm just not going to be able to do this right-handed. I'm trying to find a decent, but cheap, beginner guitar for a lefty. Does anyone have any recommendations? My budget is ideally under $150, as I'm truly a beginner and can't say I will stick with this long enough to invest more money (I hope to! I just have a loooong history of picking up new hobbies, getting really into them, and then moving on quickly). I'm also moving overseas in a few months and don't want to bring something super valuable with me. I apologize if this has been asked before. I tried searching, but couldn't find anything.

Offline Drubbing

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 97
Re: Any Recs For a True Beginner Lefty?
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2018, 02:17:59 am »
I can't think of any cheap guitars around that price for leftys, you really just have to go into a store and ask. Whilst that will be slim (on no) pickings, good staff might be able to point you in the right direction.

A search on local selling lists for used is probably a better option.

Offline ziegfeldgirl

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2018, 06:06:38 am »
I fear I might. The closest guitar store is two hours away because I am in the middle of nowhere, but I the selling venues I've checked haven't had anything. It's a pain to be left-handed!

Offline J.W.C.

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 24
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2018, 06:17:08 am »
I agree your best bet for something decent at that price point is a used instrument. If you can stretch your budget up to $200 or so, you could probably find a new lefty instrument. For example, Fender sells some left-handed Squire Affinity guitars at $199, but I have no experience with them.

If you can't find something in a guitar shop, you might try searching on reverb.com for new and used lefty instruments in your price range.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2018, 11:18:09 am by J.W.C. »

Online LievenDV

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 143
    • Point Fifty
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2018, 09:46:26 am »
with that budget, I recommend to go second hand.
If you don't know anybody who knows how to judge quality and playability; feel free to post some ads here.
If you don't want to go there in person and test alone you could take the risk of "just buying the damn thing online" witohut testing but that's a slippery slope, certainly with cheap guitars.

I'll need a bit more info.
what style of music do you want to play mostly (all-round is a good answer though)
Do you have certain taste in models and shapes?
where would you want to go to pick it up? Or will you buy online?
my band: fb: Point Fifty | Instagram: Point Fifty

Offline ziegfeldgirl

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2018, 03:08:06 am »
Yeah, I'm hesitant about getting something junky online, but I think that's going to have to be it, as there's nothing around where I am at the moment. I'd like to learn all kinds of music but tend to sway towards blues. At least lately. I don't really have a preference for models or shapes, I'm so new. Is there a good online resource for used guitars where I can find something left-handed? I have no idea where to look. I feel so lost!

Offline DarrellW

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 63
  • What on earth was I going to do???
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2018, 05:34:55 am »
There is a possible alternative, Thomann ship to USA for $37 so you could look at these
https://m.thomann.de/gb/lefthanded_guitars.html?s=price
Thomann have a very good reputation and returns policy plus an outstanding warranty, I’ve had a couple of guitars from them (I’m in the UK) and have been happy with their service, my last purchase was. Harley Benton Jaguar, it’s great for how much it costs!
My singing sucks so I’m learning Guitar and Ukulele, it’s fun 🌟

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 373
  • Teesside, North East England.
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2018, 10:41:07 am »
Rondo Music have a very good reputation and here are their choice of lefty guitars

http://www.rondomusic.com/electric_guitars_left_handed.html

Take a peek then ask further if you want to know specifics

Offline ziegfeldgirl

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2018, 09:30:07 am »
Ooh, Thomann is a good site to keep in mind when I move back to Austria! Thanks, guys!

Offline zedhead

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 1
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2018, 08:14:54 pm »
I'm one of the afflicted and I did struggle to get a decent, affordable, leftie acoustic. I took a punt on ebay and bought a second hand Seagull S6 for £250, they are out there but I had to be patient. I would go down the 2nd hand route as you will get a better quality instrument for less money but there is always a risk.
If you buy something without trying it you may not feel comfortable playing it, an example is the seagull has a wide neck. I did a LOT of research before buying the guitar and the gang on here are so helpful.
 Good luck in your quest.

Offline LeftyLoosy

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 6
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2018, 09:32:57 am »
I bought the Ibanez V50NJP Jam Pack, which is about as cheap as you can get with a brand new steel string, and I have absolutely no complaints. (120$ (lefties have to pay a 20$ premium on top of the 100$ for the righty version), includes the guitar, a strap, a bunch of picks, a gigbag and a tuner.) I'm with the others that you should take a thorough look around for a second-hand guitar of higher quality first, but if that fails (as it did for me), I can't knock the guitar I got. It's actually kind of amazing what that kind of money can buy. The guitar is absolutely not going to accompany you all your life, but it should totally get you through the Beginner's Course and then some. If the guitar I got represents the quality of the bunch, then I can recommend it without reservations.

Offline DarrellW

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 63
  • What on earth was I going to do???
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2018, 01:29:33 pm »
Did you get the Natural finish or Sunburst?
You’ve got a lot for your money there, and like you say it will definitely be ok for getting through the early stages, good luck and keep us updated with your progress!!!
My singing sucks so I’m learning Guitar and Ukulele, it’s fun 🌟

Offline LeftyLoosy

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 6
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2018, 06:32:37 pm »
Sunburst is not available on the lefthand version, I'm sad to say. It looks like a paper bag. It's still an OK guitar, but it's a shame.

Offline Lord_Gigabyte

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 4
  • Not quitting, not now, not ever....
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2018, 11:37:10 am »
Hey, i'm a lefty also, and i bought, for my first electric, a yamaha pacifica. Around 200€ here, so check which store ships them and how much they cost.

I think they're great for the price they come and play very well.

I hope you find something that suits you!
I'll get it in the end. Just don't give up, that's the key....

Offline CT

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 5
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2018, 07:23:16 pm »
I would stay at it with “regular” guitars. There are a number of top notch lefties that have learned to strum/pick with their right hand. Do a web search, you’ll see what I mean. You will be a total boss with your fretting. Otherwise you will limit your guitar options forever, and you’ll eventually sit in with other players and be unable to try their guitars.  I’m only suggesting what I would do and why. This is not meant as a knock on right handed fretters. 🤙

Get The Forum As A Mobile App