Author Topic: Fingerstyle  (Read 1092 times)

Offline itzrits

• Good Vibes 0
Fingerstyle
« on: February 25, 2018, 04:33:36 pm »
Hey guys. I want to learn the fingerstyle technique of playing the guitar. Can anyone please give me an estimate of how many months it'll take to become proficient at it?

Sent from my [device_name] using JustinGuitar Community mobile app

Offline stitch101

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 171
Re: Fingerstyle
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2018, 04:47:51 pm »
That will depend on your level of playing and the type of fingerstyle you wish to learn.
If you already know all the chords and want to learn folk fingerstyle you could learn it
in a weekend and be proficient in a week.
So without knowing your abilities there is no way to answed your question.
If you where an experienced player you could answer this question yourself.
So I'm guessing you're a beginner. The answer would be it takes as long as it takes.

Offline Joerfe

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 107
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2018, 04:50:26 pm »
That is a very difficult question to answer. It really depends on your current skills level, the amount of practice you are willing to invest AND how you define proficient.
- why not throw yourself at it without thinking too much about how much time you spend. Why not just find pleasure in learning the req. skills?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
/Jesper

Sigma SOMR28H, Fender Classic '50s Tele, Fender Std Stratocaster, Gibson lpj '14, BOSS Katana 100-212 amp.
Me on da Soundcloud https://soundcloud.com/jesper-j-rgensen-11

Offline Joerfe

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 107
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2018, 04:51:14 pm »
Seems we posted the same time...

/Jesper

Sigma SOMR28H, Fender Classic '50s Tele, Fender Std Stratocaster, Gibson lpj '14, BOSS Katana 100-212 amp.
Me on da Soundcloud https://soundcloud.com/jesper-j-rgensen-11

Offline itzrits

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2018, 05:00:38 pm »
That will depend on your level of playing and the type of fingerstyle you wish to learn.
If you already know all the chords and want to learn folk fingerstyle you could learn it
So without knowing your abilities there is no way to answed your question.
If you where an experienced player you could answer this question yourself.
So I'm guessing you're a beginner. The answer would be it takes as long as it takes.
Yes, I'm a beginner. And I do have the tendency to be a little impatient sometimes. I guess you're right, I'll just have to get started and go with the flow!

Offline itzrits

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2018, 05:01:20 pm »
That is a very difficult question to answer. It really depends on your current skills level, the amount of practice you are willing to invest AND how you define proficient.
- why not throw yourself at it without thinking too much about how much time you spend. Why not just find pleasure in learning the req. skills?

Yes that's true. Thanks alot!! :)

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 434
  • Teesside, North East England.
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2018, 06:08:06 pm »

I must contest that assertion.
One week to move from being chord player to a proficient finger style player!
It takes a lot longer than that.
Finger style is first 'nibbled at' towards the very end of the beginner's course and is then a 'style module' that is intended to come after the intermediate course.
So from first beginnings of playing the guitar to 'proficient' finger style ... allow at least 12-24 months.
And that would be simple folk-melody finger style.
If you want to do some of the Mike Dawes type stuff you are looking at quite a few years of diligent practice.

Offline LeftyLoosy

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 6
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2018, 06:48:55 pm »
This one, a long time have I watched. All his life has he looked away to the future, the horizon. Never his mind on where he was.

Practice, learn, have fun.

If you already have a bunch of chords firmly in your repertoire, then learning to play and keep time with two or three sets of simple picking patterns should be do-able in your near future. Beyond that, the sky is the limit.

Get The Forum As A Mobile App