Author Topic: Who Are You Going To See In 2018  (Read 5949 times)

Offline rodinia

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 0
Re: Who Are You Going To See In 2018
« Reply #60 on: August 12, 2018, 03:33:01 pm »
I don't go to see many concerts. I saw one of my favourite bands, The Ex again earlier this year after not being anywhere near where they played for the past 4 years. After this concert I booked a flight to Amsterdam to see them and many of their friends play at a festival curated by them again later this year  ;D

And by sheer coincidence I'll see one of the band members with a solo project next weekend. That's probably all for this year.

Online redrhodie

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 59
« Reply #61 on: August 13, 2018, 02:42:23 pm »
I saw Band of Horses in Providence, RI last night. They were great. They had three guitar players, one of whom also played keys, one who was just on guitar, and the singer, who also played pedal steel.

Learning guitar has changed the way I view a concert. I'm always trying to see what they're playing. They had lots of pedals and we're really loud and the drums and bass were driving full force. I wasn't expecting that. They're awesome live.

Ben Bridwell, the singer, is amazing. His voice is cutting and beautiful at the same time. He really doesn't hold anything back. It was inspiring to see his perform. Unfortunately, I think he's damaging his vocal cords by constantly going for it. He sounds great, but he was definitely straining to hit his high notes. I don't think that sustainable, and worry that he'll kill his voice someday.

They played a really long set, and their energy level never dropped. Really good show. My ears are fried today. Haha.

Their opening act was a band called Bonny Doon, from Detroit. They kind of reminded me of Wilco. They were really good, with two lead singers. I thought they should have sung more on each other's songs, or they could have used a female background singer to kick their sound up a notch. I wanted to hear some harmonies from them, but they held the crowd's attention really well.

Lynn

Sent from my Moto G (5S) Plus using Tapatalk

Online redrhodie

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 59
« Reply #62 on: August 13, 2018, 03:15:24 pm »
Excuse all the typos in my last post. I was out late.

Sent from my Moto G (5S) Plus using Tapatalk

Offline hilts17

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 38
« Reply #63 on: August 13, 2018, 04:13:11 pm »
Band of Horses is great. I hope I get a chance to see them live sometime.
Martin D28
Seagull S6 Original
Seagull Entourage CW Black QI
Seagull Coastline 12 String
Yamaha Pacifica 112

Offline hilts17

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 38
« Reply #64 on: September 13, 2018, 10:38:59 am »
I saw Steve Earle & The Dukes last night at our annual Folk Fest. It's the 30th anniversary of Copperhead Road so they performed it in its entirety before launching into other songs. This was a great show. I've always liked them and have most of their CD's.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2018, 04:31:14 pm by hilts17 »
Martin D28
Seagull S6 Original
Yamaha Pacifica 112

Offline msul

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #65 on: September 23, 2018, 01:40:30 am »
I just saw 54-40 and Big Wreck. Awesome concert. If you are not familiar with Big Wreck check out Big Wreck Suhr Factory Party on youtube. Any of the songs (Ladylike, Ghosts, The Oaf, That Song...) are incredible.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2018, 05:37:13 pm by msul »

Offline brianlarsen

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 19
« Reply #66 on: October 03, 2018, 12:12:20 pm »
I saw Henry Priestman in a small local venue at the weekend.
I doubt if many will recognise the name, but pretty sure most have heard his music.

I first heard his songs in the early 80s when he played keyboards with The Yachts (post-punk/new wave).
He then formed It’s Immaterial (remember ‘Driving away from Home’ on MTV?), before co-founding the Christians and writing some big hits- Ideal World, Forgotten Town and When the Finger Points.
He also co-wrote a couple of songs for Graham Gouldman’s (10cc) last solo album.

He now works the small venue/house-gig circuit with his compadre Les Glover, based in Merseyside.
(A couple of years ago, he played our living room- it was a blast!)

This pic was from the ‘after-gig party’ at my good friend, Dr. Nick Silver’s home. Nick accompanies them on violin whenever possible and it was his birthday :)

Nick on the right, Henry the beardless one, using me as a crutch

Offline hilts17

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 38
« Reply #67 on: October 08, 2018, 03:46:55 am »
I'm currently in Cape Breton, Nova Scotia attending Celtic Colours. We're here for 9 days and have 10 concerts to go to. Lots of great Celtic artists from Canada and elsewhere, such as Scotland and Ireland. The highlight so far is Blazing Fiddles from Inverness, Scotland. Amazing!!! And they're staying at our lodge which is cool.  Another great show was Rura, also from Scotland. So, tons of music and lots of pints.
Martin D28
Seagull S6 Original
Yamaha Pacifica 112

Offline hilts17

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 38
« Reply #68 on: October 14, 2018, 04:30:03 am »
The closing concert at Celtic Colours tonight was Kate  Rusby. She's from Yorkshire, England. Wow!!! She was fantastic! I will have to download some of her music now.
Martin D28
Seagull S6 Original
Yamaha Pacifica 112

Online close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 399
  • Teesside, North East England.
« Reply #69 on: October 14, 2018, 09:43:52 am »
The closing concert at Celtic Colours tonight was Kate  Rusby. She's from Yorkshire, England. Wow!!! She was fantastic! I will have to download some of her music now.

If you like Kate Rusby then check out her earlier work as a duo with Kathryn Roberts.
To me, Kathryn Roberts is the better of the two. It's a long time since I saw Kate Rusby -I didn't like that she would sing with too much Yorkshire-accent affectation in her vocal.

Here's a couple of old videos:

Kathryn Roberts is now married to and performs with Sean Lakeman and they are also amazing.

Offline hilts17

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 38
« Reply #70 on: October 15, 2018, 01:23:21 pm »
@ close Thanks for the tip on Kathryn Roberts. I will definitely check her out. The people I was with were all surprised that they had never heard of Kate until this concert. Kate was not the only artist taking part in the closing concert. Everyone quite enjoyed her.
Martin D28
Seagull S6 Original
Yamaha Pacifica 112

Offline BCDC

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 5
« Reply #71 on: October 15, 2018, 01:35:27 pm »
I am in New Orleans right now. Anyone got any recommendations for non-tourist destinations for live music?

Sent from my iPhone using JustinGuitar.com Forum

Online Balamuthiah

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 45
  • Keep that one and mark it "Fab"! -Paul McCartney
« Reply #72 on: October 15, 2018, 04:49:04 pm »
I am in New Orleans right now. Anyone got any recommendations for non-tourist destinations for live music?

Sent from my iPhone using JustinGuitar.com Forum

If you like classic rock go to “fat cats”! You probably won’t go elsewhere! Or you could always go to the jazz bars at the home of jazz.

Offline hilts17

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 38
« Reply #73 on: October 15, 2018, 05:33:01 pm »
We quite enjoyed Ye Vagabonds at Celtic Colours. Brothers from Carlow, Ireland.

Martin D28
Seagull S6 Original
Yamaha Pacifica 112

Offline sairfingers

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 0
  • 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿
« Reply #74 on: October 16, 2018, 04:35:34 pm »
Going to see Tommy Emmanuel in March ‘19. Amazing player. Saw James Taylor in June this year along with Bonnie Raitt. They were fantastic.
Started BC March 2018.
Martin D28 Reimagined.

Get The Forum As A Mobile App