Author Topic: Who Are You Going To See In 2018  (Read 3737 times)

Offline DavidP

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 166
  • You're always learning about guitars-Keef Richards
Re: Who Are You Going To See In 2018
« Reply #45 on: July 01, 2018, 02:58:52 pm »
Thanks for sharing, Hilts ... great videos, clearly loads of fun.

Offline hilts17

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 37
« Reply #46 on: July 01, 2018, 03:07:31 pm »
Thanks for sharing, Hilts ... great videos, clearly loads of fun.

You're welcome. It's always a wonderful night of friends getting together to share their love of music, food and a few pints. And I always enjoy the very end of the night when Jeff gets a bottle of Scotch out and there is just a few of us left sitting around the kitchen table enjoying good conversation with the musicians.
Martin D28
Seagull S6 Original
Seagull Entourage CW Black QI
Seagull Coastline 12 String
Yamaha Pacifica 112

Offline DavidP

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 166
  • You're always learning about guitars-Keef Richards
« Reply #47 on: July 01, 2018, 03:13:19 pm »
You're welcome. It's always a wonderful night of friends getting together to share their love of music, food and a few pints. And I always enjoy the very end of the night when Jeff gets a bottle of Scotch out and there is just a few of us left sitting around the kitchen table enjoying good conversation with the musicians.
Now that sounds like my kind of evening :)

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 392
  • Teesside, North East England.
« Reply #48 on: July 01, 2018, 04:16:57 pm »
Yeah close2u - I am not surprised you are familiar with him. That was a fantastic debut - then he managed to top it with Gladsome Humour and Blue. He seems to have deliberately turned his back on the music industry and followed his own path.
In fact that long ago friend briefly tried his hand at promoting bands (under the name Rain Dogs Promotions) and Martin Stephenson was one of the gigs he organised in Middlesbrough Town Hall Crypt.
I'd forgotten all about that.
😎

Offline BCDC

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 5
« Reply #49 on: July 07, 2018, 11:40:41 pm »
Foo fighters killed it last night at the Merriweather Post pavilion in Maryland. Played for 3 hours!

Sent from my iPad using JustinGuitar.com Forum

Offline hilts17

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 37
« Reply #50 on: July 25, 2018, 04:20:42 pm »
I just got tickets to see Brian Wilson presents Pet Sounds in it's entirety along with Beach Boys hits. Al Jardine and Blondie Chaplin will accompany him with the rest of the band. I can't wait to hear one of my all-time favourite albums being performed by this musical genius. The show is November 23rd.
Martin D28
Seagull S6 Original
Yamaha Pacifica 112

Offline BCDC

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 5
« Reply #51 on: July 28, 2018, 06:43:00 pm »
Saw Smashing Pumpkins last night. It was OK. Wasn’t great, but wasn’t bad.

Sent from my iPad using JustinGuitar.com Forum

Offline hilts17

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 37
« Reply #52 on: July 28, 2018, 07:55:12 pm »
Saw Smashing Pumpkins last night. It was OK. Wasn’t great, but wasn’t bad.

I'm seeing them in a couple of weeks. What made it only OK?
Martin D28
Seagull S6 Original
Yamaha Pacifica 112

Offline max_mue

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 26
« Reply #53 on: July 30, 2018, 06:37:23 pm »
Already seen in 2018:
Pam Pam Ida (a Bavarian band)
Granada (an Austrian band)
Arcade Fire
CHVRCHES
The National

..and I'm going to see Jack White in October :)

Offline redrhodie

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 56
« Reply #54 on: July 30, 2018, 07:12:28 pm »

I just got tickets to see Brian Wilson presents Pet Sounds in it's entirety along with Beach Boys hits. Al Jardine and Blondie Chaplin will accompany him with the rest of the band. I can't wait to hear one of my all-time favourite albums being performed by this musical genius. The show is November 23rd.

I've seen him three times, once doing Pet Sounds in its entirety, which was really great. I also snuck in to a sound check he was having at a venue I happened to be walking by. I heard a theramin, thought I was dreaming, went to look, and no one stopped me. Haha.

Look forward to hearing how he's sounding these days. Really cool Al Jardin will be there, too.

Sent from my Moto G (5S) Plus using Tapatalk

Offline BCDC

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 5
« Reply #55 on: August 01, 2018, 08:46:07 pm »
I'm seeing them in a couple of weeks. What made it only OK?

Sorry for the delayed reply Hiltz. One distraction lead to another!

Well, I may have overstated my ambivalence to the show. From my perspective, there were three obvious phases to the show. The first third of the show and the last third of the show were excellent! They rocked!

The middle third of the show however was a little boring. During this period, the band seemed to rest of their laurels and play a lot of relatively slow and unexciting songs. For at least 20 minutes of this period, Billy Corgan was not even on stage, and the band was playing along to what seemed like a pre-recorded vocal track. Billy eventually came back on stage after three songs in a new change of clothes. I doubt whether he was singing while changing clothes, so I am pretty sure about the pre-recorded vocals. It was a little weird! Maybe he wasn’t feeling well and was forced to go off stage for a while?????   

Interestingly, the crowd was unusually homogeneous in age. I swear everyone was in their mid-40s!! This was not a bad thing though. It was a great crowd.

Don't worry, you will enjoy the show. After you go, I would love to hear about it though.   

Offline BCDC

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 5
« Reply #56 on: August 08, 2018, 12:13:34 pm »
Sorry for the delayed reply Hiltz. One distraction lead to another!

Well, I may have overstated my ambivalence to the show. From my perspective, there were three obvious phases to the show. The first third of the show and the last third of the show were excellent! They rocked!

The middle third of the show however was a little boring. During this period, the band seemed to rest of their laurels and play a lot of relatively slow and unexciting songs. For at least 20 minutes of this period, Billy Corgan was not even on stage, and the band was playing along to what seemed like a pre-recorded vocal track. Billy eventually came back on stage after three songs in a new change of clothes. I doubt whether he was singing while changing clothes, so I am pretty sure about the pre-recorded vocals. It was a little weird! Maybe he wasn’t feeling well and was forced to go off stage for a while?????   

Interestingly, the crowd was unusually homogeneous in age. I swear everyone was in their mid-40s!! This was not a bad thing though. It was a great crowd.

Don't worry, you will enjoy the show. After you go, I would love to hear about it though.

Hilts,
How was the Smashing Pumpkins show last night?

Sent from my iPad using JustinGuitar Community mobile app

Offline hilts17

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 37
« Reply #57 on: August 09, 2018, 01:38:45 am »
Hilts,

I'll provide more detail tomorrow but I really enjoyed it. I'm currently responding while on the train from Montreal going back home to Ottawa. It's not terribly easy typing on my iPad.
Martin D28
Seagull S6 Original
Yamaha Pacifica 112

Offline hilts17

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 37
« Reply #58 on: August 09, 2018, 06:45:04 pm »
Hilts,

So, my wife and I really had a great time at the show. Firstly, when we went up to the 300 level (highest) for our cheap seats, we were upgraded to the 100 level (lowest) row D on the side. I thought maybe they didn't sell many tickets but after taking our new seats we did see people sitting up in our original section. Anyway, this was a nice way to start the evening. I would say our show was much like yours. They definitely took it down a couple of notches and decibels for the middle part of the show. I don't recall Billy disappearing for as much as 3 songs like he did for you. Certainly he was gone while James Iha took the lead on Blew Away.

I was okay with this more subdued part of the show. It gave me a chance to sit back a bit and catch my breath. A couple of nice surprises were Stairway to Heaven and Landslide. Earlier he did a good rendition of Space Oddity. The set list was much as I expected and the show went 3 hours 15 minutes straight. The last third was excellent with several of their bigger hits. My wife is not a big Pumpkins fan by any stretch but she really had fun.

All in all, money well spent.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2018, 12:19:04 am by hilts17 »
Martin D28
Seagull S6 Original
Yamaha Pacifica 112

Offline BCDC

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 5
« Reply #59 on: August 09, 2018, 11:07:13 pm »
@ hilts17
Agreed. Money well spent. Glad you enjoyed it. 

« Last Edit: September 21, 2018, 07:12:56 am by close2u »

Get The Forum As A Mobile App