Author Topic: Advice On Distortion Issues  (Read 1011 times)

Offline pkboo3

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 48
Advice On Distortion Issues
« on: February 04, 2018, 11:10:26 pm »
I noticed distortion in my latest recording of “Hallelujah”. It just seems to drag out some of the words. I’m thinking it has something to do with the AI or the software settings. Is it too much gain, too high dB, clipping issues...?  Would love some advice or tutorials to link to. Thanks for any help you can give me.

Also, I read in my AI user guide that I should use a D.I. Box between my electric acoustic & my AI. Does anyone have any advice on this?  I’ve noticed some popping noises in the song too. What all could be causing this?

Sent from my iPhone using JustinGuitar Community mobile app

Offline Matek

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 7
Re: Advice On Distortion Issues
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2018, 06:00:26 am »
If you have any effect pedals with bypass and a line out/headphone jack it should do the same thing and save you some money. Then you can choose the line setting on your AI and it will sound good

Sent from my [device_name] using JustinGuitar Community mobile app

Offline m_c

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 33
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2018, 12:08:21 pm »
Distortion I'd guess is likely to be lack of headroom and the signal clipping.
What interface and DAW are you using?

Offline pkboo3

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 48
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2018, 06:23:00 pm »
Matek, I don’t have effects pedals yet. My headphone plugs into the AI with 1/4” mic jack. Is that enough?

m_c, I have the Presonus Audiobox USB 96 & Studio One 3 Artist. Still very new at using recording equipment.

Sent from my iPhone using JustinGuitar.com Forum

Offline m_c

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 33
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2018, 07:12:05 pm »
I've got no direct experience with either of those, but as a general rule, within the DAW there'll be a graph/monior that shows the sound level coming on in from each input. You want to set the gain dial on the interface, so that graph/monitor isn't maxing out.

Personally, I normally set everything how I want to record, play the guitar a bit harder than I'm planning, then adjust so I've still got a bit head room. Then adjust the speaker/headphone volume to suit.

Offline DavidP

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 217
  • You're always learning about guitars-Keef Richards
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2018, 09:28:59 pm »
Pam,

I have a similar type of interface and plug my guitar straight into it.  Though I have a switch on the interface to select line or instrument. But labelling on the front and diagrams in the manual make me think you should be fine.

What I suggest is plug in the mic and guitar first. Then turn the gain of each channel on the interface down as low as possible. And if you have a volume control on the guitar turn tgat right down as well. Then plug interface into computer. Turn on phantom power if you have a condensor mic.

Arm the tracks in the DAW, which seems to be done automatically if you use the appropriate template. Now you can set the levels. You do this only on the interface, not by adjusting faders on the tracks in the DAW. Turn the gain up slowly till you get a decent signal on the mic. Watch for background noise. Ideally want input level to be -18 to -12db. But I pickup background noise if gain turned up to get that level, so prefer to boost the signal in the DAW after recording before mixing.

Then do the same for guitar. I turn the guitar volume up about halfway and then the interface gain to get the same signal strength, again listening for noise. For me that js also about halfway.

I haven't had problems with clipping on recording following that procedure. But do keep an eye on the levels when recording to make sure nothing goes over 0db at any point.

Works for me but you could check in at the shop where you bought it, and confirm if your guitar is such that its electronics will deliver problematic levels.

Then if you google for tutorials on the DAW you'll see plenty.

I'd get the hang of clean recording and balancing levels before getting into all the other effects and things you can do, lime doubling the track with delay to make guitar sound fuller etc.

I think your Hallelujah sounded fine from a recording perspective.  Didn't notice distortion,  but could be lack on my pkayback.

Offline pkboo3

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 48
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2018, 02:33:29 am »
Odd that I hear some distortion but you all that have commented don’t hear it.

Offline oldhead49

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 124
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2018, 03:46:54 am »
Pam, listened on buds and cans and couldn’t hear any either. Of course, we all know my hearing isn’t the best, but it really did sound clean to me.

Offline Matek

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 7
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2018, 08:24:35 am »
https://www.reddit.com/r/audioengineering/comments/62a7qh/a_story_of_why_i_dont_trust_presonus_audiobox_usb/

This is the same type of info i was getting when reseasrching why my scarlet 2i2 was clipping.

I think you will need i DI box to lower the level to a line signal

Sent from my [device_name] using JustinGuitar Community mobile app

Get The Forum As A Mobile App