Author Topic: Rolling Fretboard Edges  (Read 396 times)

Offline vibranttrout

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 3
Rolling Fretboard Edges
« on: February 12, 2018, 10:15:20 pm »
I have a couple questions about rolling a guitars fretboard edges (makes the sides more rounded).  I have a really cheap guitar, and I've noticed that on more expensive guitars I have easier access to reach the upper strings on the fretboard.  This makes the guitar infinitely more comfortable for me to play because i have smaller fingers. Especially since right now i am trying to learn C-shape (thumb over) bar chords.  I have an Ibanez arx320, and my friend has a much more expensive ibanez acoustic.  I was able to play the thumb over chords no problem on his guitar and i have been hurting my hands to play them for a couple weeks on mine, and can only get them if really contort my hands. My issue, i have discovered from playing nicer guitars, is the neck being too wide.  If the edge wasn't so abrupt i would've had these down in no time.   Also i played the more expensive model of my guitar at guitar center and it was much easier, so i know i don't need a guitar with a narrower fretboard.  It is on the narrow side already being an ibanez.

Anyway, I think this can be easily done myself and could save me a ton of money.  I am going to try to rub rounded shaft of a screwdriver along the edges to more or less 'pack in' the rosewood of the fretboard, because i have read this works.  However, i am worried the the fret ends will poke out.  Nothing i looked up has addressed this, so i was wondering if anyone had any experience/tips and tricks to help me out, as i have never worked on a guitar myself besides minor stuff like pickup height and intonation.

I'm going to try it first on my washburn x series electric, which is very cheap but set up decent besides sharp edges on the fretboard.  If this works i'd like to do it to my more expensive (ibanez arx320) guitar, but it has a border/frame around the fretboard. Maybe an ivory border or just some kind of plastic?  I'm not sure. I am worried that rolling the edges is not possible without somehow damaging the fretboard on the ibanez.   Does anyone have experience with this? I've included a link to a picture of the ibanez fretboard at the bottom. 

Also, i know this doesn't work on maple because it ruins the finish, but both my guitars have rosewood fingerboards, so no issue there.
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/ARX320TCR

Offline joueur de guitare

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 23
Re: Rolling Fretboard Edges
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2018, 07:47:34 am »
The 'border' is called binding. It's plastic, glued on, and attempting to roll the edges of your fretboard is probably going to properly **** it up.

Have a read of this

http://www.stewmac.com/How-To/Online_Resources/How_to_Install_and_Repair_Instrument_Binding_and_Pur/How_to_Install_Bindings.html
Guitars. Fender Highway 1 Tele: Fender Shortboard LE Mustang: Ibanez AS73 semi-hollow: Ibanez SR370 bass: Squier Affinity Strat: Squier Jagmaster.

Offline vibranttrout

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 3
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2018, 07:30:12 pm »
Thanks for the link, I agree trying to roll the binding would ruin it.  That's unfortunate.  Looks like i have an excuse to look for new guitar now though.

If anyone else wants to try, i did it on my cheaper all rosewood fretboard guitar.  It definitely worked, and after a little sanding and reshaping of the fret ends it will be perfect.  I may not even have to sand, it hasn't bothered me too much yet.  It has helped playability some, but not near as much as i would have liked.  It must be the neck shape that contributes more to playability than a sharp angle from the edge of the fretboard

Offline joueur de guitare

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 23
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2018, 08:31:45 pm »
Looks like i have an excuse to look for new guitar now though.

Every cloud has a sliver lining :)

And yes, neck profile probably does affect playability more than a rolled board.

It's worth getting a proper set-up too. That can really help.
Guitars. Fender Highway 1 Tele: Fender Shortboard LE Mustang: Ibanez AS73 semi-hollow: Ibanez SR370 bass: Squier Affinity Strat: Squier Jagmaster.

Get The Forum As A Mobile App