Author Topic: Is It Worth Learning To Play, With This Guitar?  (Read 309 times)

Offline BeerGeekGamer

• Good Vibes 0
Is It Worth Learning To Play, With This Guitar?
« on: February 12, 2018, 02:44:50 am »
Hello,

I got this Epiphone Gibson (JK99060538) guitar 18 years ago in one of those packages deals, and took some lessons, but never got to serious about it. Now I would like to get back into it and I'm wondering if it's even worth learning with this guitar? Also I think there might be something wrong with the humbucker as I can raise it up and down with my hand. So, worth getting it fixed and setup, or should I just go and get a Yamaha Pacifica 112v?

Thanks.

Offline tobyjenner

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 97
  • You're never too old to Rock'n'Roll
Re: Is It Worth Learning To Play, With This Guitar?
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2018, 08:15:11 am »
Take it to a shop and get an estimate for them fixing it. At 18 its still young and spruced up should make a good starter without paying out on a new guitar. Just mho.

Toby

Sent from my NEM-L51 using Tapatalk

BC Mar 2013 to Jan 2015 IM April 2015 to Mar 2016
Currently consolidating IM then Blues Rhythm & MTMS
https://soundcloud.com/tobyjenner/
TOBY JENNER’S CAS DE LA ROUTE / ROADCASE
https://justinguitarcommunity.com/index.php?topic=39537.msg339454#msg339454

Offline J.W.C.

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 23
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2018, 08:40:09 am »
My first guitar was similar: an "Epiphone by Gibson" strat-style with a bridge humbucker. If I remember correctly, the humbucker was mounted using screws with springs, so it did show some movement if you pushed on it. Is that what you're referring to?

I agree with Toby: get an estimate for a setup and confirm that its in working order (or an estimate to repair, if it's not). Compare that to the price of the Yamaha. If the guitar doesn't need any expensive work done, it should work fine as a starter instrument.

Offline BeerGeekGamer

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2018, 03:47:52 am »
Good news, my local shop said they would setup the guitar for $37 plus the cost of strings, and he would fix the humbucker and ratchet down the tremolo with some added springs for free. Can't wait to get it back to start my journey.

Offline Dan Graves

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 164
  • Is on the Outside, looking in
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2018, 06:48:19 pm »
Heh, i thought those S-3xx oddities had all but disappeared.
It's not exactly the most amazing guitar in the world, but considering it's build year (1999 if going by the serial number), it should be one of the last Korean made ones, and those had a good reputation when it came to build quality, despite their low price, so it'll be a solid starter.
"So the secret to good self-esteem is to lower your expectations to the point where they are already met?" -- Hobbes
"Right. We should take pride in our mediocrity!" -- Calvin

Offline Shaolindelt

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 2
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2018, 08:55:54 pm »
Good deal with the price for the set-up and fixing it.  I think even a cheap guitar that is set-up well and hold it's tune is all you need.  Once you get better, you can upgrade as you like.  I think the best guitar to play is the one that is easiest to pick up and play . . . and you've already got that one, so you are most of the way there!
BC 2/15, IC - 3/16
Fender Squier Std Strat
Fender Mustang Ii v2

Get The Forum As A Mobile App