Author Topic: Sungha Jung's style and method?  (Read 905 times)

Offline DF_Technica

• Good Vibes 0
Sungha Jung's style and method?
« on: February 11, 2018, 05:31:27 pm »
This is my first post on this site, so hi! I only recently found out about this forum, and the site in general, and holy heck there's a lot of free content on here. Most comprehensive guitar lesson site I've ever seen.

I wanted to ask if anybody on here knows what style Sungha Jung falls under, and what the best method would be to learn to play like he does. According to his Wikipedia, he started by transcribing songs he heard and occasionally looking up tutorials. I imagine his father helped him out as well. And the international virtuosos he eventually met and played with :P

Right now, I'm going to take the transcription course on this site and check out some of the intermediate practice guides to keep me busy.

Also, a bit of background on me, if it helps. I'm 16, been playing more off than on since 13, and after the terrible first few months of learning, I started playing fingerstyle almost exclusively. 10 out of the 12 full songs I've learned over 3 years are fingerstyle, with some strumming. The first handful of songs were pop - and my second song ever was actually Let it Go as played by Sungha Jung  :P Over time, I transitioned to more folksy-sounding pop, then anime OST's. I've never had formal training, unless you count the DVD that came with my old beginner guitar. I've only performed onstage once, for a school battle of the bands, and did terribly. I started playing on the street for pity pennies very briefly (bout 2 weeks, using a friend's beater acoustic) when I was 15 and not doing too well in life. I can read tablature and learn a song in a day, but I couldn't tell you what key it's in, or what chord shapes are used.

My rather lofty guitar goal right now is to write a fingerstyle composition. That's why I'm trying to learn from Sungha Jung.

Thanks for reading, and for any replies! And my post ended up a bit longer than I expected, sorry.

Offline stitch101

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 168
Re: Sungha Jung's style and method?
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2018, 06:08:35 pm »
Welcome to the forum.
First off it doesn't matter what style of music you want to play you still need to know the basics.
Do Justin's beginner course. If you already know basic guitar it wan't take you very long but it will
give you the structure  you need to learn how to learn. It may sound silly but most people don't know
how to learn.
You said you can read tabs but don't know what chord shapes you're playing. That's a good place to
start. Learn chords. Even in fingerstyle you use chord and knowing them will be an enormous help
with your playing and understanding of what your playing.

Get The Forum As A Mobile App