Author Topic: 001 2018 Hallelujah  (Read 490 times)

Offline LBro

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 63
  • Well I am working on it.
    • YouTube offerings
Re: 001 2018 Hallelujah
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2018, 06:00:01 pm »
LB, thanks for giving the record a spin and for the feedback.
LB- Sure…

You make a good point on the vocal ... would've been better to vary the sound between verse and chorus.  I got so excited when I heard the potential for the multi-tracked vocal that I forgot to think about how best to maximise the impact by using it more sparingly  ;D
LB – Works well, but best applied to where it works with the most bennifit.

Without checking the panning was pretty much the same for each track, to try and make it full.  So maybe a few % points variance across the three just to try and get as bigger sound as possible without starting to hear separation.  Then the harmony vocal I panned off a bit, as if it was being sung from a different place in the room, as it would be if sung by background singers live.
LB – Better to be tight on this than not in the verse area. On chorus, spreading it out might work… have a listen and see.

Drums is really a new thing for me.  So by "pull them up" I assume you mean you'd raise their level in the mix. 
LB – Exactly…

What I struggled a bit was balancing the levels of the kick vs snare vs high-hat vs crash.  I did all the drums in a single track.  The free drum sim plugin I am has faders for each drum/cymbal, which I used to try get the balance to my liking as well as varying velocity in the MIDI Editor.  But it felt like I was compromising something whatever I did.  I thought about creating a separate track for each drum/cymbal that would give me a third lever to work with ie the track volume fader.  But ran out of time and energy.  Next time I think I will do that.  And now that I think about it, it would've been pretty easy to just duplicate the track for each drum/cymbal and edit each one to be just one drum/cymbal.  Could have done that right at the end when I was satisfied with the drums as a whole.
LB - I would tend to vary the velocities more to add some “humanize” effects. Do your levels in the drum program if you can. If not go to individual tracks for each kit piece in the DAW. But you can sink days into drums. I used to with Superior drummer 2. Then I got EZ drummer 2 and the claim to fame there is they come ready to play pretty much. If you like to fiddle then SD2 is a better rig, but EZD2 is the way to go for plug and play IMHO.

Then you mention the kick sounded a bit "thin".  What do you mean by "thin"?  Just a little soft relative to the other drums/cymbals?  Or is it the actually sound.  If the sound then what might I do to fatten it?  I guess it could be influenced by the fact that I am using a free plugin and maybe the samples are not the best?  I know there are other samples that are perhaps better quality that I could access, still free, and maybe use a different Reaper plugin to play the samples (saw some tutorials about setting up drums that way for Reaper).
LB – The kick is just that… no real thump, no depth. Sounds more like an upper drum hit than a deep thump…..

But I guess at the end of the day, probably fit for my purpose, given that I am not trying to produce a radio-ready song or do a Schlaffenwagon authentic cover.  But still would like to get the best sound possible given what I have and the effort I am putting in.
LB – Well to me more so your song didn’t require a rock type thump in the kick. So if the entire kit level were brought up it might be ok for the job. If you rock on a bit more in another song I would work on the kick itself. Compression perhaps, EQ and more will help it. Better yet spend a few dollars and get EZD2. You won’t be one bit sorry for doing so…. It is what CLA is for vocals, but it is the cats meow for drums...!

All my rocking best,
LB

Offline DavidP

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 69
  • You're always learning about guitars,Keef Richards
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2018, 09:16:29 pm »
Wow, this is really atmospheric and cool. Really like what you've done. Yeah, this is awesome.

Lynn
Glad you enjoyed it, Lynn, really appreciate such feedback.

Offline DavidP

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 69
« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2018, 09:19:44 pm »
Thanks for all the extra input, LB. Will keep all in mind, next time I have a go at producing something like this.

Offline pkboo3

« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2018, 03:34:45 pm »
David, you have learned so much!  Good work on all that you did on this. I did hear some off-timing on a few of the vocals but very few. I think that’s hard to do even for professionals. I’m currently working on a collaboration with someone (thanks to Lynn) & had to make a second vocal trying to sing with the first vocal. It’s hard to get them to match/harmonize. But you did good.  Yes, there is so much to learn on top of continuing to practice the guitar and for me, to remember to prioritize between learning the recording side of it all and of practicing the guitar. Anyway, good work!

Sent from my iPhone using JustinGuitar.com Forum

Offline DavidP

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 69
« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2018, 04:05:06 pm »
Thanks so much, Pam.  I can only say, every aspect ... playing, singing, recording, mixing, using MIDI Editor and digital instruments ... is great fun.  Just not enough time and energy available to do as much on all of them as I'd like.

Offline oldhead49

« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2018, 02:46:38 am »
It seems as though every time I respond to one of your posts I'm saying I can't believe your progress.   I can't believe your progress!  This was great!  Mess or success?   Success, indeed.  This was some project that you've put together.  Struggles doing it?  I'm sure.  Learn a lot?  I'm sure. The end result reflects the time and effort you've put into it.  Nice job and it sounds good!!

Offline DavidP

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 69
« Reply #21 on: February 16, 2018, 04:57:18 am »
It seems as though every time I respond to one of your posts I'm saying I can't believe your progress.   I can't believe your progress!  This was great!  Mess or success?   Success, indeed.  This was some project that you've put together.  Struggles doing it?  I'm sure.  Learn a lot?  I'm sure. The end result reflects the time and effort you've put into it.  Nice job and it sounds good!!
That's kind of you to say so, Dave, and delightful to read.

You summed it up ... struggles, learning and I consider it a success even though the vocal is not right in a few places.

Always appreciate your listening and perspective.

Offline Fourtwo

« Reply #22 on: February 18, 2018, 03:23:02 am »
David,
Well done for taking the plunge into multitracking and for the most part it works well and parts of it sound "radio ready". I agree with LBro that multi layering the vocal on the chorus alone would add interest to the song. Parts of the vocal "frayed" (were uncoordinated) a bit at the end of a line, so look out for that and try to make your overdubs line up all the way through - perhaps work on a slightly different, but complimentary melody with the your vocal tracks. I would also add some synthesizer colour for emphasis in parts of the verse later in the song to add tension.
Keep learning David, you're coming along in leaps and bounds here.
Neil

Offline Matek

« Reply #23 on: February 18, 2018, 07:02:29 am »
Great job David.
Thanks for going into detail about how you did this. Also with the input from others the rest of us are also learning new things.

Sent from my [device_name] using JustinGuitar Community mobile app

Offline DavidP

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 69
« Reply #24 on: February 18, 2018, 01:03:11 pm »
Thanks for listening and the feedback,  Neil & Mateo

I'm  looking forward to continuing to improve recording of vocal. Lot to learn and my singing skills are very rudimentary.

And extra happy if my sharing details can help others in their learning.

Offline pulsarlight

« Reply #25 on: February 18, 2018, 08:48:46 pm »
Thanks for listening and the feedback,  Neil & Mateo

I'm  looking forward to continuing to improve recording of vocal. Lot to learn and my singing skills are very rudimentary.

And extra happy if my sharing details can help others in their learning.
Hello David. Great effort. I'm very new to sound editing. I've done video editing in the past and I know how complex and energy it requires to create a good final product like this song you created.
I'll definitely use this post as reference in the future when I get more into layering tracks.

Sent from my [device_name] using JustinGuitar Community mobile app

Offline DavidP

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 69
« Reply #26 on: February 18, 2018, 10:36:50 pm »
Hello David. Great effort. I'm very new to sound editing. I've done video editing in the past and I know how complex and energy it requires to create a good final product like this song you created.
I'll definitely use this post as reference in the future when I get more into layering tracks.
Thanks for listening and for the great compliment,  much appreciated.

Get The Forum As A Mobile App