Author Topic: Tips for improving dexterity and speed please  (Read 4798 times)

Offline DarrellW

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 99
  • What was I doing?
Re: Tips for improving dexterity and speed please
« Reply #30 on: February 08, 2019, 08:24:30 am »
I have a torn tendon and it will probably need surgery.
Absolutely gutted for you  :'(  :'(  :'(
My singing sucks so I’m learning Guitar and Ukulele, it’s fun 🌟

Online redrhodie

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 75
« Reply #31 on: February 08, 2019, 01:00:35 pm »
Oh no! I'm so sorry. That is awful to hear. A big hug from me.

Maybe it's a good time to learn more in your DAW? Or is that also not possible due to the injury?

Any idea when the surgery will be, and what they expect the recovery time will be?

I hope you're not in pain, and get well soon!

Lynn

Sent from my [device_name] using JustinGuitar Community mobile app

Offline CT

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 70
    • YouTube
« Reply #32 on: February 08, 2019, 03:20:13 pm »
So much focus on where to go instead of enjoying where you are.
That's the ball game right there. It's all about the journey, and not the final destination. Learning how to bounce back from a bad note, or better yet make it sound interesting (hey jazz, hold my beer) is more realistic and achievable than perfection.

Leverage multi-track recording, break songs down into sections, and record as you go. As for injury, disability, etc, watch how Django Reinhardt did his thing and then there is Brock Davisson:

Offline embishop

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 83
  • Playing my way to a new way of thinking. ~ JG
« Reply #33 on: February 12, 2019, 12:22:25 pm »
Thanks again Jono  :)  I can't use my right arm at all. Been resting it for almost a month with no improvement. Had an ultrasound yesterday. I have a torn tendon and it will probably need surgery.

I feel for you Maggie 😕 I had a shoulder u/s last week too and just got news on sprain and tear in ligament yesterday. Waiting for MRI now to get more details and then decide on treatment. MRI waiting times are 4-6 weeks here so that will be awhile. I don’t have my arm immobilized but I’m definitely limiting movement to minimize pain. Still able to practice a bit, nothing too strenuous though for playing. I am working through the Theory course, although it does take longer when not holding your guitar. I also have Justin’s note trainer and ear trainer apps, those might give you some good practice if you have them.

Take care,

Mari
Gretsch G5420T,  Taylor GS Mini-e Koa, Epiphone SG400, Martin OMCPA5
Boss Katana 50, Boss RC-1 loop pedal
Yamaha Clavinova CLP-525 digital piano

Online redrhodie

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 75
« Reply #34 on: February 12, 2019, 10:50:22 pm »

I feel for you Maggie I had a shoulder u/s last week too and just got news on sprain and tear in ligament yesterday. Waiting for MRI now to get more details and then decide on treatment. MRI waiting times are 4-6 weeks here so that will be awhile. I don’t have my arm immobilized but I’m definitely limiting movement to minimize pain. Still able to practice a bit, nothing too strenuous though for playing. I am working through the Theory course, although it does take longer when not holding your guitar. I also have Justin’s note trainer and ear trainer apps, those might give you some good practice if you have them.

Take care,

Mari

Oh jeez, not you, too. That's a long wait for an MRI. I hope you get better soon.

Take care,
Lyny

Sent from my Moto G (5S) Plus using Tapatalk

Offline batwoman

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 110
« Reply #35 on: February 13, 2019, 01:45:15 am »
Thanks Danni, Darrell, Lynne, Mari and Clint. It's a bump in the road. While I sort out my options, I've been detouring down a few roads on the way to musical mastery ... sigh ... in my dreams  ;D. Working with rhythm, hitting and tapping whatever I can find around the house, exploring different sounds, beats, trying to make contact with the intrinsic drummer. Doing what I can with the theory course, but as you say Mari, it's limiting not being able to play the guitar. I'm also doing some singing exercises and I've written my first song.

I also changed my tuning to DADF#AD put my guitar flat on my lap and messed around with a slide. I made up a little song about how much I miss my Cedar.

Blue without you
Blue without you
What am I to do
I'm so blue without you

Next repeats third line are
Can't stop thinking about you
No we're not through
Going crazy without you

Yes, yes I know I've missed my calling as a lyricist  ;D

I've sought out second and third opinions and advise. All of them conflict with each other, eg shoulder must be immobilized in a sling and have compete rest, then yesterday's physo insists that was wrong and I must use the arm and shoulder and the sling etc was making things worse. I have to take ownership of the situation rather than handing it over to others and listen to my gut.

Have made the decision not to have surgery or cortisone injections and I'm still making up my mind about physiotherapy. Instead I'm seeking treatment with two practitioners more in tune with MindBody medicine.

After yesterday's physio session, I'm playing my guitar again, in a weird sort of way.  Have had to drop it low so I don't lift my arm at all.  I told her that if I can't play my guitar I might as well be dead  :o. It's better than nothing. Can't play barre chords, that hurts my wrist.

Best wishes with your shoulder Mari. What a long wait time for your MRI. If I'd chosen surgery it would have been 6 - 8 weeks out of action.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2019, 04:16:00 am by batwoman »

Online DavidP

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 234
  • You're always learning about guitars-Keef Richards
« Reply #36 on: February 13, 2019, 05:43:37 am »
Wish you well, Maggie.

What a saga, I can imagine.

So because you are suffering, I shall let those self-deprecatory comments slide.  That said, Oldhead may not be so kind, given the banter about his sing LOL

Your blues sounds fabulous.  Can't wait to hear you record that ... an original, in open tuning, with a slide ...

And adopting a true gun-slinger position for your guitar ...

Your creativity, perseverance and attitude to this adversity is inspirational.

Blue Rock Granny rock on !!

Offline embishop

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 83
  • Playing my way to a new way of thinking. ~ JG
« Reply #37 on: February 13, 2019, 12:52:24 pm »
I made up a little song about how much I miss my Cedar.

Blue without you
Blue without you
What am I to do
I'm so blue without you

Next repeats third line are
Can't stop thinking about you
No we're not through
Going crazy without you

Yes, yes I know I've missed my calling as a lyricist  ;D

Those may just be the best lyrics ever written Maggie!!!

I hope all goes well with your recovery. I am also hoping for non-surgical treatment options.

Yes waiting times can be rather ridiculous in Canada, that seems to be one of the trade offs unfortunately for universal health care. I do value our healthcare system though, and I’ve unfortunately used many of its resources!
Gretsch G5420T,  Taylor GS Mini-e Koa, Epiphone SG400, Martin OMCPA5
Boss Katana 50, Boss RC-1 loop pedal
Yamaha Clavinova CLP-525 digital piano

Offline nnoone

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 1
« Reply #38 on: February 14, 2019, 09:31:43 pm »
Tom Hess is a renowned spammer and his methods are called in to question by many worthy guitar teachers. He has no fanbase here.
Do not click on any subscription button you see or you will get junk for the rest of your life.

I was just about to post this video.

So you don't recommend this exercise?

On one hand it seemed like an interesting idea. I tested a little and it seems that I wasn't faster but more accurate.

On the other hand building too much independance between the two hands may be bad for synchronization.

It's true what he says that my brain is waiting for information from the left hand before moving the right hand. But it's logical. I don't want to hit a string if my finger is not on the right fret yet.

(Such a terrific beard, though...)

Offline willferral

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #39 on: June 28, 2019, 04:01:08 am »
I haven't read all the posts in here so I might be repeating someone else.

These things can take time and sometimes improvements come in bursts, peaks, and valleys.

The finger independence exercise from here is a good one and simple enough doesn't require any speed but The one were you practice over a scale slowly making your movements as small as possible.

The same idea of efficiency of movement applies to the picking hand. I don't know how to specifically target that other than practice. But you can try pick slanting and maybe try learning that technique for picking multiple strings.

Give learning funk a try it help you loosen up your picking hand.

Get The Forum As A Mobile App