Author Topic: What guitar ...  (Read 441 times)

Offline louise45

• Good Vibes 0
What guitar ...
« on: February 08, 2018, 12:52:01 am »
Hi everyone, I want to start playing a guitar but I don't have any idea. I might need some help to decide which brand to buy since I don't have much of a budget. I have been searching online and found several reviews like this one, musicadvisor.com/?s=guitar
It would be a great help to hear some opinions for those who really plays. I am open to any suggestions. :) Thanks

Offline J.W.C.

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 23
Re: What guitar ...
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2018, 05:02:33 am »
Just a couple quick questions...

How much is "not much of a budget?"
Are you interested in acoustic guitar or electric guitar?

Offline ntha

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2018, 06:52:42 am »
Start Here:
https://www.justinguitar.com/en/BC-102-WhatGuitar.php
https://www.justinguitar.com/en/RE-020-GuitarProducts.php

I can only advise that you buy the best you can afford. A cheap guitar may be hard to play and not sound good. You should enjoy playing and practicing.

Offline MrBumble

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 8
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2018, 08:48:30 am »
Don't forget that you don't have to buy new.

Second hand means that you can get more guitar for your money.
Guitars - Ovation Celebrity, Revelation RJT60Q.
Amplifiers -Marshall G30R CD, Fender Super Champ 25 SE.

Online joueur de guitare

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 16
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2018, 09:10:33 am »
Don't forget that you don't have to buy new.

Second hand means that you can get more guitar for your money.

With the caveat 'if you know what you're looking at'.

Guitars. Fender Highway 1 Tele: Fender Shortboard LE Mustang: Ibanez AS73 semi-hollow: Ibanez SR370 bass: Squier Affinity Strat: Squier Jagmaster.

Offline MrBumble

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 8
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2018, 10:46:19 am »

Yes, good point. It's important to do some research - especially on this forum (so a good start there) or take a friend along if possible.

Offline ntha

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2018, 12:10:17 pm »
I'll add some to what I posted above.
I don't know much about guitars but having ridden mountainbikes for over 20 year, I'm sometimes asked for advice from complete beginners (I'm no expert but still...) and I guess there are similarities.

1. My first advice is not to buy cheap if possible. Cheap gear can be a pain and a disappointment leading the beginner to buying better and more expensive gear that he or she should have bought in the first place, or give up and quit altogether.
2. From a certain price point and up, most brands' products are good and there is no particular reason to prefer a certain brand over the other just for the logo on the downtube (headstock).
3. Do not buy used unless you have help from a friend who knows what to look at.
4. Finding a good shop is recommended for many reasons.
5. It's sometimes hard for beginners to identify good advice from sales people in a shop. Bring along a knowledgeable but unbiased friend when you go shops as well if you can.

I'm not sure how much this applies to shopping for first guitar but hope it helps.

Offline DarrellW

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 49
  • What next???
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2018, 01:01:50 pm »
OK, looking at your link I'm guessing you're from somewhere in the USA maybe and from that link I'm also guessing that you are maybe looking at the Rogue or Jasmine acoustic guitars.
It's less expensive to go down the acoustic route initially as you don't need an amplifier (some will say you don't need an amplifier - true but it's much better if you do).
If my assumptions are correct then both look ok for CHEAP guitars possibly the Jasmine is a better proposition because they are a cheaper brand of Takemine what have a very good reputation for quality. I have got a couple of cheap acoustic guitars that are reasonably ok AFTER they have been set up properly; this is the main problem with cheap guitars (and sometimes more expensive ones) that they are not set up very well to the point that some are almost unplayable, this is where buying from a reputable shop comes in.
Most decent guitar shops (Not warehouses) can do a reasonable setup to get you going, they may charge extra to do it but it's well worth the cost to have a guitar thats reasonably easy to play, stays in tune and has correct intonation.
If you don't have anyone who has the know how to assist you in your purchase try to find if there is anyone in your local schools or colleges that may be willing to help, maybe a music teacher; also sticking to the well known brands is a sensible approach. Don't buy from Ebay or Amazon unless you are prepared to spend on having it set up by a Luthier which will add to your budget, and research who there is and how much they charge before you go ahead.
Can't say anymore than that apart from Good Luck!!!
Having fun learning Guitar and Ukulele, what more could you want?

Offline halfdiminished

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2018, 07:19:35 am »
I might say that this also applies to buying new. I've seen a number of shops screwing over new players to get rid of the guitars that nobody ever wants to buy (and why might that be?).

My advice would be:
- Stick to known brands
- Don't buy the absolute cheapest thing you can find
- Don't buy online (i.e. without trying it)
- Take a more experienced guitarist with you (everybody likes trying new gear)
- Play all guitars you can afford in that shop, see what you like
- Ask the shop to set up the guitar before or after you buy it.

Offline MrBumble

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 8
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2018, 08:32:09 am »
- Take a more experienced guitarist with you (everybody likes trying new gear)
- Play all guitars you can afford in that shop, see what you like
- Ask the shop to set up the guitar before or after you buy it.

These three points are very good ones.

If the shop is not happy about any of these but particularly the last two points, ask yourself if this is the sort of business that deserves your hard earned cash.

You need to be able to trust your supplier.

Having said that there are some good on-lone ones. Gear4Music in particular are helpful and have a good returns policy in my experience.

Offline licksnkicks

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 53
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2018, 03:08:56 pm »
Do your homework. Research every idea meticulously. Go to your local music store and check every thing out. Ask questions to the appropriate people.

When you make a decision., sit on it for a while! I did that before I purchased my Katana amp and glad I did!
Boss Katana 1X12 100W Vox DA5 CL amp, Gibson SG Standard, Parker Nitefly electric/accoustic guitar,  Parker P-38 SA electric/accoustic guitar,  Academy electric custom guitar,  0 tolerance 4 stupidity

Offline louise45

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2018, 10:06:53 am »
Hello everyone, I was overwhelmed that lots of you have suggested what is best for me to do. I'll keep it mind and thank you so much. I asked my friend to come with me to check out different guitar store in my area. My friend knows guitar better than me, and yes I may consider buying a second hand for now until I get better with it. I prefer electric guitar but I think it is more difficult than the acoustic ones.  ;D ;D ;D

Offline halfdiminished

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2018, 10:34:23 am »

I prefer electric guitar but I think it is more difficult than the acoustic ones.  ;D ;D ;D

If you prefer electric guitar, the thing you should do is buy an electric guitar.

Even though both are called "Guitar" they are quite different instruments. It is a misconception that one is more difficult than the other.

Offline licksnkicks

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 53
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2018, 12:14:25 pm »

If you prefer electric guitar, the thing you should do is buy an electric guitar.

Even though both are called "Guitar" they are quite different instruments. It is a misconception that one is more difficult than the other.

No misconception. Acoustic is harder because it takes more finger pressure to get the notes to sound half decent!  It also depends on how high your action on the strings are.
Boss Katana 1X12 100W Vox DA5 CL amp, Gibson SG Standard, Parker Nitefly electric/accoustic guitar,  Parker P-38 SA electric/accoustic guitar,  Academy electric custom guitar,  0 tolerance 4 stupidity

Offline Majik

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 76
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2018, 12:27:18 pm »
But controlling string noise on an amplified electric guitar can be more difficult than on an unamplified acoustic, especially with distortion/high gain.

Cheers,

Keith
Guitars: PRS Singlecut S2, Fender Tele Lite Ash, G&L Legacy Tribute, Freshman Apollo 2 OCBX
Amps: Bugera G5 Head, Boss Katana 100
All sorts of other stuff.

Get The Forum As A Mobile App