Author Topic: What guitar ...  (Read 1735 times)

Offline licksnkicks

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 53
Re: What guitar ...
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2018, 12:31:28 pm »
But controlling string noise on an amplified electric guitar can be more difficult than on an unamplified acoustic, especially with distortion/high gain.

Cheers,

Keith

That comes with lots of practice and how long someone has been playing for.  I don’t find that a problem at all.
Boss Katana 1X12 100W Vox DA5 CL amp, Gibson SG Standard, Parker Nitefly electric/accoustic guitar,  Parker P-38 SA electric/accoustic guitar,  Academy electric custom guitar,  0 tolerance 4 stupidity

Offline joueur de guitare

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 31
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2018, 12:46:07 pm »
But controlling string noise on an amplified electric guitar can be more difficult than on an unamplified acoustic, especially with distortion/high gain.

Cheers,

Keith

A beginner should be playing clean.

Guitars. Fender Highway 1 Tele: Fender Shortboard LE Mustang: Ibanez AS73 semi-hollow: Ibanez SR370 bass: Squier Affinity Strat: Squier Jagmaster.

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 31
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2018, 12:50:17 pm »
. I prefer electric guitar but I think it is more difficult than the acoustic ones.  ;D ;D ;D

What gives you that impression? It's usually accepted that the reverse is true.

Justin sez.
Electric guitars are generally the easiest to play: the strings are thinner, the ‘action' is low (see below) and therefore they are easier to press down. Barre chords on acoustic guitar can be very demanding and require a lot of finger strength. Cheaper acoustic guitars can be very hard to play higher up the fretboard. Classical guitars have nylon strings, which are softer than steel strings, and easier to press down. However, the neck is much wider on a classical guitar, which can be a struggle for beginners. The action is likely to be higher, as well. In general, they are softer-toned and don't project as well as a steel string acoustic, which makes for quieter practising, which could be a consideration.

https://www.justinguitar.com/en/BC-102-WhatGuitar.php

If you want an electric guitar, buy one. You'll be learning on the instrument you want to learn on :)

Guitars. Fender Highway 1 Tele: Fender Shortboard LE Mustang: Ibanez AS73 semi-hollow: Ibanez SR370 bass: Squier Affinity Strat: Squier Jagmaster.

Offline licksnkicks

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 53
« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2018, 12:51:13 pm »

I am far from a beginner!

There are NO hard a fast rules to playing!
Boss Katana 1X12 100W Vox DA5 CL amp, Gibson SG Standard, Parker Nitefly electric/accoustic guitar,  Parker P-38 SA electric/accoustic guitar,  Academy electric custom guitar,  0 tolerance 4 stupidity

Offline licksnkicks

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 53
« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2018, 12:53:40 pm »
What gives you that impression? It's usually accepted that the reverse is true.

Justin sez.
https://www.justinguitar.com/en/BC-102-WhatGuitar.php

If you want an electric guitar, buy one. You'll be learning on the instrument you want to learn on :)

Exactly. Just because your a beginner doesn’t mean that you must start out on an acoustic! I hate acoustic guitars. For my first guitar I got an electric and never looked back.

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 31
« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2018, 01:00:17 pm »

There are NO hard a fast rules to playing!

Didn't say you were a beginner. The OP is though, and she is the centre of this thread not you or I.

Offline Majik

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 120
« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2018, 01:58:37 pm »
That comes with lots of practice and how long someone has been playing for.  I don’t find that a problem at all.

Yes, but we are talkikng about someone who is relatively new to guitar.

Exactly, so there's things you find easy that a beginner wouldn't.

I'm sure many people who have been playing acoustic guitar for a long time would tell you that they don't find, say, barre chords hard to play on an acoustic.

I mostly agree they should to start with. However, at some point they eventually need to start turning up the gain if they want to play certain styles of music.

Prior to this, many will want to stick some distortion on in order to have some fun.

And the beginner's course includes some songs which are best played with some overdrive or distortion, for example:

https://www.justinguitar.com/en/BS-125-OldTimeRockAndRoll-BobSeger.php
https://www.justinguitar.com/en/BS-322-IfYouWanna-TheVaccines.php
https://www.justinguitar.com/en/BS-422-ClosingTime-Semisonic.php
https://www.justinguitar.com/en/BS-521-SmokestackLightnin.php
https://www.justinguitar.com/en/BS-524-WalkingTheDog-TheRollingStones-GuitarLesson.php

So at some point they should expect to encounter this as a challenge.

But, in general, I agree: electric is not more difficult than acoustic, and they should buy the instrument that inspires them most.

Cheers,

Keith
Guitars: PRS Singlecut S2, Fender Tele Lite Ash, G&L Legacy Tribute, Freshman Apollo 2 OCBX
Amps: Bugera G5 Head, Boss Katana 100
All sorts of other stuff.

Offline DarrellW

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 94
  • What was I doing?
« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2018, 02:35:23 pm »
I prefer electric guitar but I think it is more difficult than the acoustic ones.  ;D ;D ;D
If that’s what you prefer then go for it, learning guitar is a long journey so you need to have a guitar that you can bond with, it has to be your friend not your enemy!
Your main consideration should be to get one you like at a price your happy with, it’s also wise to accept that initially you might be better off buying a better guitar and add the amplifier and other accessories at a later date, money spent on a decent guitar is money well spent. One of the best budget price electric guitars is a Yamaha Pacifica 112V, if you can find one at a decent price second hand (or new) you definitely can’t go wrong.
My singing sucks so I’m learning Guitar and Ukulele, it’s fun 🌟

Get The Forum As A Mobile App