Author Topic: 1 minute changes and the metronome  (Read 7258 times)

Offline eshabboz

• Good Vibes 0
1 minute changes and the metronome
« on: February 04, 2018, 06:17:11 pm »
I personally found it VERY boring/repetitive to do 1 minute changes, at least with a timer, BUT using a metronome was a completely different story, you only need to start it once instead of every minute and it helped me improve faster.
1. You start it at 30bpm(if I recall correctly the human brain can't really feel rhytm below this)
2. Do changes until you're comfortable
3. +5 bpm
4. Repeat 2 and 3

Offline bunkley

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 1
Re: 1 minute changes and the metronome
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2018, 06:30:56 pm »
I've had a similar experience and do exactly the same, moving up in steps of 5.

In fact , if I try and do 1 minute changes, because I am trying to "go fast", I often do fewer in 1 minute than if I use the metronome.

In fairness, the 1-minute changes works best (for me at least) when the chords are new - for instance when first trying out moves to bar chords, when you might struggle to even hit the 30bpm target you mention.

Offline Argoras

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2018, 10:43:06 pm »
Hey guys and girls, i am doing the one Minute Changes also with a metronome and mußte say it helps so much. In fact i am at 80 bpm now for the D to A change, now i Do the same with the D to E change and later with the E to A. I can highly recommend this methode

Sent from my [device_name] using JustinGuitar Community mobile app

Offline GregS

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2018, 01:44:45 am »
The 1 minute changes is the part that I wasn't thrilled with when I did the course last year.  Now that i've started again, I'll give the metronome a try. 

Guitars: Yamaha FG710S
              Epiphone Les Paul 100

Offline mixedcolors

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2018, 08:39:30 pm »
If your not using a timer, how are you timing your 1 minute? or am I missing something with how metronome works? do they let you know when 1 minute has gone by?

Online tobyjenner

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 181
  • You're never too old to Rock'n'Roll
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2018, 11:21:55 pm »
Mixed

Simples if using a metronome. Set the metronome for 60 beats a minute. Make one change each beat. Stay on the beat and that's 60 changes a minute. No timer needed and and you can do say 30 seconds, 30 changes but its the same as 60 per minute.

In the early stages  Justin says move on after 40 changes a minute.
Set metronome at 40 bpm. One change per beat. That's it.  8)
Here since Mar 2013 Completed BC, RUST 1 & 2, IM, MTMS Still on Blues Rhythm and Blues Lead
https://soundcloud.com/tobyjenner/   
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2wcjHmnrFuQyom6tqUtdrQ
Roadcase : https://justinguitarcommunity.com/index.php?to

Offline mixedcolors

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2018, 01:01:48 am »
Mixed

Simples if using a metronome. Set the metronome for 60 beats a minute. Make one change each beat. Stay on the beat and that's 60 changes a minute. No timer needed and and you can do say 30 seconds, 30 changes but its the same as 60 per minute.

ohh of course that makes sense. I'm thinking of getting one, I'm hoping that it will help me keep a rhythm going, because right now I can't get into a groove. I think its because I have to look at what strings I'm picking and where I'm fretting. I'm stilling looking at what I'm doing. Its slowing me down a bit. I am hitting around the 30 mark, but its not consistent, I feel like I can go faster. I've only been doing the one minute exercise for a week so I guess I just need to keep practicing.

Offline GregS

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2018, 11:13:34 pm »
Really?  I started last year, and got overwhelmed by other things in late January.  So it's been almost a year since I watched that video.  I was shooting for 60 per minute before moving on.  Time for me to hit the next stage.

I'm thinking of getting one, I'm hoping that it will help me keep a rhythm going, because right now I can't get into a groove. I think its because I have to look at what strings I'm picking and where I'm fretting. I'm stilling looking at what I'm doing. Its slowing me down a bit. I am hitting around the 30 mark, but its not consistent, I feel like I can go faster. I've only been doing the one minute exercise for a week so I guess I just need to keep practicing.
I picked up a Korg MA1 Metronome off of Amazon.  It's only about $15 and I really like it.  I've only used it for a couple of weeks, but it's basic and works.

Keep working on your technique.  I'm still just doing the A, D, E chords, but moving forward.  For me, the hardest part was getting my strumming hand to to hit string 6, 5 or 4 as appropriate.  My fretting hand seems to be "smarter" than my strumming hand.  Actually it's probably because no matter what I'm doing with strumming, my fretting hand is in the same positions.  Long way of saying, keep playing and it will come together.
              Epiphone Les Paul 100

Online tobyjenner

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 181
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2018, 11:41:26 pm »
Guys

This pc based metronome is free and programable.

http://www.mm-systeme.de/mum/28.html

So you're comfortable doing 1MCs @ 30 bpm, set the program to do 10 bars at 30 bpm, the next 10 at 35 bpm, the next 10 at 40 bpm etc. Keep playing and changing until you crash and burn. If that was 40 then set a new program starting at 35, then 40 the 45. Also great for practising scales and building speed as Justin covers in the IM.

Toby
 8)
Here since Mar 2013 Completed BC, RUST 1 & 2, IM, MTMS Still on Blues Rhythm and Blues Lead

Offline GregS

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2018, 11:58:35 pm »
I didn't know that program existed.  Won't work for me since I use Linux, but reading through the page, that's an awesome program.  I would certainly say that anyone using Windows should take a look at it.
              Epiphone Les Paul 100

Offline mixedcolors

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2018, 06:29:15 pm »
Really?  I started last year, and got overwhelmed by other things in late January.  So it's been almost a year since I watched that video.  I was shooting for 60 per minute before moving on.  Time for me to hit the next stage.
I picked up a Korg MA1 Metronome off of Amazon.  It's only about $15 and I really like it.  I've only used it for a couple of weeks, but it's basic and works.

Keep working on your technique.  I'm still just doing the A, D, E chords, but moving forward.  For me, the hardest part was getting my strumming hand to to hit string 6, 5 or 4 as appropriate.  My fretting hand seems to be "smarter" than my strumming hand.  Actually it's probably because no matter what I'm doing with strumming, my fretting hand is in the same positions.  Long way of saying, keep playing and it will come together.

That is true, I know it will take lots of practice. Am I not suppose to move on from the 1 minute exercise till I can play without looking at my strumming hand?

Offline guitardan

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 2
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2018, 06:03:41 am »
I didn't know that program existed.  Won't work for me since I use Linux, but reading through the page, that's an awesome program.  I would certainly say that anyone using Windows should take a look at it.
Hi guys, I'm on stage one, and must say, alot of interesting and helpful comments on this thread.
thanks.

Offline plywood

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 4
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2018, 08:22:37 am »
I set the metronome going at the speed I'm comfortable with, say 45bpm, set a countdown timer on my phone for 5 minutes with a 5 second bonus prep time and have my list of 5 chord changes either written down in front of me or memorized. Then for 1 minute I do A-D at 45bpm, when the timer hits 4 mins remaining I start on D-E, at 3 mins remaining then it's time for A-E and so on until I've done all 5 sets.

I found this is the best way to optimise my time and get rid of annoyances. Otherwise I was faffing around changing BPM between chord sets (45bpm for A-D, but 50bpm for D-E, etc) and restarting 1 minute timers. 5 sets of 1 minute changes would take close to 10 minutes. This way it's set everything going once, and away you go. The BPM has to be the lowest common denominator, but it's not so bad. I found my slowest changes tended to catch up quicker this way and my faster changes get cleaner because I'm not so rushed.

Offline stitch101

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 247
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2018, 04:48:18 pm »
This is a great idea for prcticing smooth chord changes but the whole idea
of the OMC exercise is to gain speed when changing chords. If you practice
at you comfort level you will never get faster.

If your metronome can be setto increase it's tempo as you go that would be
better.
Set the tempo just below your comfort zone and have the metronome in crease
the tempo after 5 or 10 clicks until you can't keep up.

Offline guitardan

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 2
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2018, 05:22:57 pm »
Ive just been practising A E and D chord changes in the dark, i no it sounds silly, but it really does help you to find the chords with out looking at the fret board, and playing the chord changes by ear, I've got a fair speed, but my prime goal is to change chords without looking.......

Online tobyjenner

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 181
« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2018, 11:57:28 pm »
Dan

Not silly at all. Although I have no experience of this for 1MCs, a good guitarist who helped in my early days, said practising in the dark was essential for gigging. By now he's been playing for 50 years and a great blues guitarist, inspired by Elmo James. He said on stage it was normal not to see what you were playing, so playing in the dark ensured you landed in the right place each time. Should have a go again myself as its been years since I tried it last and that was a right wottsit.

Toby
 8)

Offline writer29uk

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2018, 12:49:44 am »
M1 Metronome is a free Android app... It is very customisable. I'm doing 1 minute changes with a timer and enjoying them. I have a ledger book I write them in and do 2 - 3 attempts of each change so I'm constantly testing myself... Not boring at all, it's a challenge!!

Sent from my [device_name] using newbielink:http://JustinGuitar Community mobile app [nonactive]

Offline misterlutherman1

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2018, 01:26:33 pm »
I enjoy doing this. +5bpm seems like nothing on paper, but in practicality, it is a difference.

I've got a metronome that adds 5bpm every 4 bars or something. I've never used it; have any of you? If so, did it help you?

Offline pclaradactyl

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2020, 01:08:16 am »
I'm curious if this method also helps keep the notes from being sloppy? I'm new and while I'm able to get the speed of the change the chord is sloppy. I know for the exercise it's not a big deal, but I feel like that sloppiness carries over to song practice.

Offline stitch101

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 247
« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2020, 04:27:13 am »
It is a big deal.

If you're  practicing sloppy chord changes you're learning sloppy chord changes.
Yes the one minute changes are about speed but not sloppy speed.
Slow down to where your changes are clean but your still pressing for speed.

Offline pclaradactyl

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #20 on: July 17, 2020, 04:36:49 am »
Good to know! I was going off how Justin says not to worry too much about quality of the cords for the exercise, but I can tell that this exercise effects the quality of my song practice which isn’t great. I’ll slow down with the metronome, and work my pace back up. Thanks!

Offline stitch101

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 247
« Reply #21 on: July 17, 2020, 04:49:01 am »
He also says don't count the bad changes. So if you're doing 60 chsnges a minute
and 30 of the are bad you're only doing 30 changes a minute
So you may as well do 30 clean and push for 40

Offline batwoman

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 188
« Reply #22 on: July 17, 2020, 06:08:01 am »
It is a big deal.

If you're  practicing sloppy chord changes you're learning sloppy chord changes.
Yes the one minute changes are about speed but not sloppy speed.
Slow down to where your changes are clean but your still pressing for speed.

I couldn't agree with more with you stitch.

One other thing I'd suggest is that once you get comfortable with playing chords in a song, is that you check every now and then by playing every string in the chord one by one to be sure you have good, clean tone on every string that's being played.

I still catch myself playing sloppy chords when I strum a song that's familiar. The sloppy playing becomes a habit if I don't check now and then.
Walcott Custom OM Acoustic , G&L Tribute Fallout Electric, Crafter T035 OM Acoustic, Ashton Bass.

Offline sairfingers

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 93
  • 󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿“Keep that one, mark it fab”. Paul McCartney.
« Reply #23 on: July 17, 2020, 08:30:58 am »
I still catch myself playing sloppy chords when I strum a song that's familiar. The sloppy playing becomes a habit if I don't check now and then.
I agree totally with that. I am exactly the same!
Studying Intermediate Course, Folk Fingerstyle and Blues modules.
Pickin’ an’ lickin’.....😎.
Martin D28 : Gibson SG : Boss Katana 50.

Offline Mister_B

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #24 on: February 12, 2021, 11:26:20 am »
Really useful thanks, I'll give the metronome a try.

Get The Forum As A Mobile App