Author Topic: I’m A Slow Novice 😉  (Read 2549 times)

Offline Six String

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
I’m A Slow Novice 😉
« on: January 29, 2018, 08:05:12 pm »
Good evening to you all,

Well let me introduce myself I’m a 40 year old wannabe Guitarist since the age of 14.... Erm yeah I know little late on that Bus 😊

Ok well I started taking lessons in October on a Monday for 30 minutes costing around £14 a time, Got to be honest & say I don’t feel like I have learned much, Started with Chords G/D & Am, then went on to Some Scales, was introduced to Metronomes & now trying to learn Wonderwall by Oasis!

To say I’m getting frustrated is an understatement.. Anyways I have found Justin’s Site which seems full of Promise so have decided to start right back at the beginning & have just done Justins first lesson..

Things I’m struggling with is 1 minute changes.. how many should I be making in one minute?

Also should I leave the songs out until I’m a few more lessons in?

Seriously thinking about quitting my lessons & just sticking with Justin, making a donation & buying some of his learning tools!

Your thoughts please all?

Offline stitch101

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 173
Re: I’m A Slow Novice 😉
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2018, 08:15:35 pm »
The goal is to make 60 clean changes a minute that's 1 every second. But you'renot going to do that many
over night. Remember you don't count the bad ones and a change is from one chord to another.
A to D to A to D is 3 changes.

Offline Garfield

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 37
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2018, 08:26:17 pm »
I'd ditch the teacher and stick with justin. Wonderwall is quite advanced, rythymically anyway. I wouldnt try that for a while yet. I'd learn the songs on the beginners course. Great way to practice the changes. Good luck with it.

Sent from my [device_name] using JustinGuitar Community mobile app

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 439
  • Teesside, North East England.
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2018, 08:27:53 pm »
Started with Chords G/D & Am, then went on to Some Scales, was introduced to Metronomes & now trying to learn Wonderwall by Oasis!

Welcome to the forum ...

G, D and Am do come early in the beginner's course but are not usually the first ones to learn.
It's way too soon for scales ... finger exercises maybe. And if that was their purpose then fair enough. But not actually to learn and use yet.
Metronomes are your friend - good rhythm is king.
Wonderwall ... is that the first song you've been taught by him?
It's a Stage 8 song so really I would say it's far too soon for that difficulty of song for you.

I don't think you've got a 'bad' teacher.
But I do think you need to compare the clear structure of Justin's beginner course with what he has taught you.
If having a person in front of you is what you need then stick with it - but bring your own agenda using Justin's ideas of progression and structure.

Maybe reduce the lessons to fortnightly if you want to stick with him.
Or, try Justin's DIY for a bit and see how you get on.

Ask away - we're all here learning and helping.
 :)

Offline hilts17

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 53
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2018, 08:34:10 pm »
Exactly what close2u said.

I started Justin's course almost 3 years ago at the age of 56. Never had tried guitar before that. I completed the beginner course and am doing the intermediate. I haven' rushed myself at all and it has paid dividends. Give it go and I bet you stick with it.
Martin D28
Seagull S6 Original
Seagull Entourage CW Black QI
Seagull Coastline 12 String
Yamaha Pacifica 112

Offline DarrellW

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 99
  • What was I doing?
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2018, 08:34:35 pm »
Simple advice, if the lessons are getting you frustrated ditch them!
Wonderwall isn’t a beginner song at your stage, Three little birds is and is a great first song to learn.
Take a good look at the entirety of the beginner course and look at the structure and number of songs there is to learn, on Justin’s course you will learn to play guitar by playing songs and following well thought out routines instead of learning to play a few songs at random on guitar most of which are probably beyond your ability so won’t sound good, end result you pack it up.
There are plenty of people here who started exactly like you wondering if they were doing the right thing, most of them (including myself) who followed the course are doing well and still improving; to be honest if you really want to play guitar it’s a no brainier!!!
My singing sucks so I’m learning Guitar and Ukulele, it’s fun 🌟

Offline Six String

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2018, 08:54:27 pm »
Thank you all guys for your replies 👍

No first song he had me trying was Knocking on heavens.. which I also struggled with 😉

No I don’t think his a terrible teacher, just think maybe I’m such a novice that I need to start with the basic building blocks! He is a very good Guitarist to be fair to him 👍

Ok guys I will Start with Justin’s Training.. I have seen about his ear training should I leave this for now?

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 439
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2018, 09:03:31 pm »
Good guitarists do not necessarily make good teachers.

Start here:

https://www.justinguitar.com/en/BC-000-BeginnersCourse.php
Follow through from stage 1 as there will be aspects you hae not covered.

Use these songs to carry you along as you go:

https://www.justinguitar.com/en/BS-000-BeginnersSongbook.php

Maybe buy one or both beginner song books (from the money saved on your lessons)

https://www.thejustinguitarstore.com/collections/books/products/justinguitar-beginners-songbook

https://www.thejustinguitarstore.com/collections/books/products/the-justinguitar-beginners-songbook-volume-2

Check here for guidance:
https://www.justinguitar.com/en/PC-000-Practice.php

Ear training - you don't need that just yet.

Offline Six String

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2018, 09:40:05 pm »
Thank you very much buddy,

I will look into all these links tomorrow when I'm home from work.... looking forward to this with new ambition ☺

Offline zedhead

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 1
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2018, 09:47:53 pm »
I've been on a similar path to you although I'm a bit older sadly. I tried a couple of teachers but I found all they wanted me to do was learn a few riffs to keep me happy. There seemed to be no structure of learning the guitar and I quickly got dispirited and stopped playing or should I say stopped trying to play.
 I then stumbled across Justin's site and I have learned more from Justin and the gang on here than I ever did from my lessons. I purchased the Beginners Course and I still haven't finished it as unfortunately life gets in the way but it's structured in a way that helps build your skill set whilst being able to play songs at every stage. This helps to keep my motivation high, I've stalled on level 6/7 as the damn F barre chord is driving me mad but I'll get there eventually.
  This is a superb forum and everyone is willing to offer advice, buy the Beginners Course I'm sure you won't regret it.
 Then start saving for guitars!!
All the best.

Offline Holensum

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2018, 09:58:06 pm »
Good evening to you all,

Well let me introduce myself I’m a 40 year old wannabe Guitarist since the age of 14.... Erm yeah I know little late on that Bus

Your thoughts please all?

Welcome Six String.

No, you're not late on the bus - I'm 64 and restarted one year ago. Actually bought my first guitar and amp when I was 12, then traded it for a car when I was 16. Didn't pick up a guitar again until December 2016, though I wanted to play the whole time. Also, I have short fat fingers, go figure.

I have followed the Justin course since the beginning, putting in 30 minutes to an hour 5 or 6 days a week. Has there been frustration? Sure have, cause I think I'm moving too slow. Then I look back and see where I am now, 12 chords, half dozen 3 and 4 chord songs, faster and surer chord changes, compared with where I was a few months ago.

Just be patient, it's about progress, not perfection. And give yourself a break once in a while. Our son was here for Christmas, so I didn't touch the guitar for 2 1/2 weeks, after 6 months without a break. When I restarted, things I was struggling with fell in place and some chord change speeds increased by 10 - 15 per minute.

So hang in there, follow Justin's course, and yes, learn the songs from the beginning. Just start with easy ones and work your way up to the move difficult.

Offline Six String

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2018, 10:15:57 pm »
Thank you all so much,

you are a great crowd on here I must say and it's nice to know so many feel the same way as I do ☺I have just been doing the chord changes D to A etc.... little messy with fingers going on wrong strings was getting about 40 counting each chord change so about 20 under 😯 I am tired though so back on it tomorrow after work..

I will be knocking the Lessons on the head now I think though ☺

Offline J.W.C.

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 30
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2018, 10:28:19 pm »
My first instrument was piano. I learned from several excellent teachers. One thing they all had in common was that they taught from a structured curriculum. That is, they had a proven plan and process for teaching piano: a system which built up technique, theory, repertoire, et cetera.

I started learning guitar as a teen. I went through several not-as-impressive teachers (compared to the piano teachers). I recall being struck, even then, by the contrast between the guitar teachers and the piano teachers. The guitar teachers were simply not as organized in their instruction (and that's being kind, in a few cases). All of them were excellent guitarists, but I don't think any of them approached teaching guitar as a primary thing. It seemed like they were guitarists who "taught on the side" rather than actual teachers, if you know what I mean.

Some of that may have been luck of the draw, or the way I found the teachers (usually through guitar store connections). Also, I suspect if I had taken up classical guitar, the quality of instruction probably would've been better. Anyway, I learned from all my guitar teachers, but I'd have to say I learned in a very inefficient and haphazard manner.

In contrast, Justin's method is a planned and well-designed program for learning to play guitar. He has thought about how to teach guitar, planned it out, and developed a serious and effective program of instruction. It really is impressive, and it's absolutely amazing that he makes it available on an honor system. I don't know of any other music instruction program of this quality that is as readily available. If I were a guitar teacher, I would adopt Justin's method as my program of instruction in a heartbeat.

My suggestion is that you start studying using Justin's program. It's a great program. But don't eliminate your guitar lessons with an actual teacher. You could cut them down to once a month or so. Use your time with the instructor to show the teacher what you're working on, and to ask for help and suggestions with anything giving you trouble. In-person instruction can give you valuable feedback, even if you're mainly following Justin's program.  You can also use your in-person lessons to start playing with another musician (e.g., playing chord changes together, practicing your timing/rhythm, et cetera).

Also, I suggest giving back to Justin by ordering material from him (or even just giving him a donation). Again, what Justin offers is high quality and they way he offers it is pretty much unprecedented, in my experience with music instruction. It's a cool thing.

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 439
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2018, 11:52:12 pm »
@ JWC

brilliantly put

:)

Offline Six String

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2018, 05:01:55 am »
Second that 👍

I have to agree I think there a lot of good Guitarists that just do teaching as a little money on the side but think their hart really lays in playing the next gig Which is fine & can totally understand going through the whole “basic Chords” etc etc can become frustrating for them also!

As I said he is a nice guy & does a lot of guitar session work but feel I should drop the lessons & maybe go back to him when I have a better foundation as I feel we just seem to be covering the same ground with little improvement due to my slow learning pace!

Get The Forum As A Mobile App