Author Topic: I’m A Slow Novice 😉  (Read 2403 times)

Offline Stormya

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 2
Re: I’m A Slow Novice 😉
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2018, 09:02:38 am »
To add my two pennies worth. When I first began I had a couple of 'lessons' but quickly stopped. I was shown about 12 chords in a few weeks and was being taught hammer-ons as well plus a few other things which were way way way ahead of me. After those lessons I wouldn't pick the guitar up for days because it was all a bit of a downer.

So - lessons ditched. Focussed on BC and really enjoyed it. I second all the other comments made - what's not to like. It's a brilliantly done course.

I'm now part way through the Intemediate Course and similarly enjoying that.

I wouldn't worry at all about being slow - everyone moves at different speeds. It took me a good two years to do the BC and I've read of others doing it in a couple of months. (And I still go back to it quite a lot for various reasons). I stopped being concerned about speed - so long as I keep seeing progress that's fine.
Seagull S6 Original
Seagull Artist Folk

Offline Barnezy

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 10
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2018, 10:35:56 am »
I agree with the sentiment above, however having a teacher has taught me a lot beyond what I could have self taught/taken from Justin's course. Justin's course is fantastic and sets a great curriculum of learning from beginner to intermediate, however a live teacher can correct things you would never be able to spot yourself. I also heard a stat that 90% of people who learn off the internet have terrible timing, which sounds a bit made up, but I can believe that it would be harder to develop this teaching yourself off the web.

Half the corrections I got from my teacher was either hand position and fingering or as he would say "I'm not in the grove" which meant my timing and rhythm were off.

I'd stick with the teacher and suggest to him that you want his guidance on the things you learn from Justin's course. This will ensure you get the best of both worlds and any bad technique is spotted before it becomes a habit.

I've taken a break from private lessons for a while as I'm at a stage now where I just need to put hours of practice in to develop what I've learnt and will look to start them again once I feel I've reached a certain level with it.

Everyone learns and is motivated differently, so find what suits you.

Sent from my iPad using JustinGuitar.com Forum
Guitars: Collings OM2H, Martin Dreadknought Junior, Fender MIA Std Stratocaster, Admira A2 Classical
Amps and Pedals: Blackstar HT1R, Boss GT1
Favourite Styles: Finger Style, Blues, Folk, Rock
Favourite Guitarists: Knopfler, Clapton, Greenwood, Jimmy

Offline Stormya

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 2
« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2018, 11:01:59 am »
....... I did forget to say that about 3 months ago I started having 'proper' lessons and I am definitely finding it really useful to have someone to check technique, ask questions of and be set quite challenging (but not eyeballs out ridiculous) targets by. I have a half hour lesson every two weeks which works perfectly for me and it all fits in very well with the Intermediate course (It's a different teacher to the guys I started with).

Key thing I think with lessons is to find someone who listens to you, will be patient and will be happy to push you a bit but recognise your abilities and go at your own pace. So, now I've got a good teacher I'm finding 1 to 1 lessons very helpful.

So, yes I agree with Barnezy on all that.

Seagull S6 Original
Seagull Artist Folk

Offline Six String

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2018, 12:03:23 pm »
As always guys thank you 👍

I do understand what you are saying about one to one teachers but really feel like I’m wasting money as I’m not moving one and keep covering the same ground because of my skill level.. I think I need to spend time with Justin’s building blocks and then restart the Lessons.. feeling a little confused again 😬

Offline Stormya

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 2
« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2018, 12:56:30 am »
Hi again - in which case drop the lessons until you feel you are at a point to take them up again. The BC is a great course - come back to lessons later if you want to. There's not a lot of point in doing them if they just make you feel bad about it all - it's supposed to be fun / enjoyable.
Seagull S6 Original
Seagull Artist Folk

Offline Six String

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2018, 06:07:04 am »
Thank you Stormya,

I have lessons booked until end of Feb so will finish these off & throw myself into Justin’s course & take it from there 👍 I just have to give myself a proper training time & stick to it daily 👍

Offline dantheman1983

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2018, 11:44:53 am »
I'd ditch the teacher and stick with justin. Wonderwall is quite advanced, rythymically anyway. I wouldnt try that for a while yet. I'd learn the songs on the beginners course. Great way to practice the changes. Good luck with it.

I've been learning about 10 months and the first song my teacher showed me was wonderwall
(but with a more basic strumming pattern) the opening 4 chords weren't too difficult the way he showed me (using 'big EM and big G) only middle and index finger moving around.
Because its such a well known song I think the strumming pattern is something you can work out in your head.
Anyway in the few weeks before I started lessons I did some bits on Justin's site which helped a bit.

Its only worth having lesson if the teacher is right for you I'd say, luckily mine is pretty good.

Offline Thealchemist

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 1
  • Keen Beginner
« Reply #22 on: February 14, 2018, 05:35:23 am »
Good evening to you all,

Well let me introduce myself I’m a 40 year old wannabe Guitarist since the age of 14.... Erm yeah I know little late on that Bus

Ok well I started taking lessons in October on a Monday for 30 minutes costing around £14 a time, Got to be honest & say I don’t feel like I have learned much, Started with Chords G/D & Am, then went on to Some Scales, was introduced to Metronomes & now trying to learn Wonderwall by Oasis!

To say I’m getting frustrated is an understatement.. Anyways I have found Justin’s Site which seems full of Promise so have decided to start right back at the beginning & have just done Justins first lesson..

Things I’m struggling with is 1 minute changes.. how many should I be making in one minute?

Also should I leave the songs out until I’m a few more lessons in?

Seriously thinking about quitting my lessons & just sticking with Justin, making a donation & buying some of his learning tools!

Your thoughts please all?
To be honest I'm sort of like you I'm 53 had guitars for 24 years but rarely played in past 15.  Went for lessons learned songs but not a lot else. I stumbled across Justin's site few weeks ago and have decided to go right back to basics. I'm on holiday but whilst here have ordered all the materials song book etc strumming CD for when I get back. There are loads of lessons by other people on you tube but to be honest I like his style and his manner . I would ditch your teacher and go with Justin right from the start. I'm am just getting on the bus and hopefully this time reach a destination. Good luck

Sent from my [device_name] using JustinGuitar Community mobile app

Get The Forum As A Mobile App