Author Topic: Guitar Advice For An Intermediate Please  (Read 1973 times)

Offline christiannorman

• Good Vibes 1
Guitar Advice For An Intermediate Please
« on: January 29, 2018, 11:49:33 am »
Hello all, newish to playing after having learnt via justinguitar.com and now need a new guitar, my current guitar cost £15 and makes some interesting noises.

I'm playing what tabs say are intermediate level songs, it is all acoustic versions of pop, rock or folk stuff and I could really do with some advice on what guitar to buy. Ideally something that I'm not going to grow out of and doesn't break the bank. I'll need to get it online as i now live in Sweden and there isn't a music shop for 500km in any direction.

Thanks in advance.

Sent from my [device_name] using JustinGuitar Community mobile app

Online close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 433
  • Teesside, North East England.
Re: Guitar Advice For An Intermediate Please
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2018, 12:06:55 pm »
Hi, welcome to the forum.
You'll get good advice here but we need an idea of your budget please.
 :)

Offline christiannorman

• Good Vibes 1
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2018, 01:10:29 pm »
Less than £300 ideally, unless maybe i can get one second hand. Is that too little?

Offline Majik

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 122
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2018, 04:03:58 pm »
You should be able to get something decent for £300, especially if you can get something second-hand.

Cheers,

Keith
Guitars: PRS Singlecut S2, Fender Tele Lite Ash, G&L Legacy Tribute, Freshman Apollo 2 OCBX
Amps: Bugera G5 Head, Boss Katana 100
All sorts of other stuff.

Offline DarrellW

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 94
  • What was I doing?
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2018, 05:04:18 pm »
If you look at Thomann.de they have a very good selection of decent quality guitars within your price range and deliver to Sweden for €15.
Guitars to look at I would suggest the following brands,
Epiphone, Fender, Framus, Recording King, Tanglewood and Cort, all make very nice guitars.
Choose something that you like the look of but you need to be aware of the sizes, they do have a section to help you choose and also have a very good returns policy and warranty system. Having used them myself I can confidently say that they are the best online supplier I know of.
The guide:
https://m.thomann.de/gb/onlineexpert_topic_acoustic_guitars.html
My singing sucks so I’m learning Guitar and Ukulele, it’s fun 🌟

Offline christiannorman

• Good Vibes 1
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2018, 05:24:03 pm »
Great advice, thanks

Offline joueur de guitare

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 31
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2018, 05:27:12 pm »
You should get a good used acoustic for £300. A new one at that price will be a little bit average, I think.

Out of interest, as they're a Swedish manufacturer, how much do Hagstrom guitars sell for in Sweden?

I've no experience of their acoustics, but I keep talking myself out of buying a Viking semi-hollow. :)
Guitars. Fender Highway 1 Tele: Fender Shortboard LE Mustang: Ibanez AS73 semi-hollow: Ibanez SR370 bass: Squier Affinity Strat: Squier Jagmaster.

Online close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 433
  • Teesside, North East England.
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2018, 08:39:43 pm »
Look for a steel string not a nylon / classical.

You may not need on-board electrics unless you plan on plugging in regularly. Even then you you can buy clip in sound hole pickups. Electro-acoustics carry extra cost for the electricals that you can invest on a 'better wood'.

Do you need a cutaway? Maybe if you play a few songs that have you reaching up to and beyond fret 12.

Do you want dreadnought size or smaller?
Here's an image with a guide to sizing.
https://www.sagemusic.co/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/guitbodystyles.jpg

If you can, look for an acoustic with a solid wood top. At that price you will not likely get all solid, but most likely the back and sides will be laminate.

Roundback are hard to play sitting down imho as they slip away so avoid them.

Offline christiannorman

• Good Vibes 1
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2018, 08:35:55 am »
Look for a steel string not a nylon / classical.

You may not need on-board electrics unless you plan on plugging in regularly. Even then you you can buy clip in sound hole pickups. Electro-acoustics carry extra cost for the electricals that you can invest on a 'better wood'.

Do you need a cutaway? Maybe if you play a few songs that have you reaching up to and beyond fret 12.

Do you want dreadnought size or smaller?
Here's an image with a guide to sizing.
https://www.sagemusic.co/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/guitbodystyles.jpg

If you can, look for an acoustic with a solid wood top. At that price you will not likely get all solid, but most likely the back and sides will be laminate.

Roundback are hard to play sitting down imho as they slip away so avoid them.
Thanks for the info, very helpful. I definitely want steel strung and am not bothered about plugging in for now.
Being new i honestly don't know about size, i like and am learning stuff like Mandolin Orange, Johnny Flynn, Blitzen Trapper, Damien Rice etc...
Not sure if my size makes much difference but I'm 6.1, i would prefer a thinner neck as my in(bred)dex fingers curve inwards, towards my middle fingers, which makes bridging on a wider neck tough.

I have found a music shop three hours away, which is a gentle stroll in Sweden, so i think that i will take any advice and head over there to try some out.

Thanks again.

Offline christiannorman

• Good Vibes 1
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2018, 08:36:17 am »
If you look at Thomann.de they have a very good selection of decent quality guitars within your price range and deliver to Sweden for €15.
Guitars to look at I would suggest the following brands,
Epiphone, Fender, Framus, Recording King, Tanglewood and Cort, all make very nice guitars.
Choose something that you like the look of but you need to be aware of the sizes, they do have a section to help you choose and also have a very good returns policy and warranty system. Having used them myself I can confidently say that they are the best online supplier I know of.
The guide:
https://m.thomann.de/gb/onlineexpert_topic_acoustic_guitars.html
Will take a look tonight, thanks

Offline christiannorman

• Good Vibes 1
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2018, 08:43:10 am »
You should get a good used acoustic for £300. A new one at that price will be a little bit average, I think.

Out of interest, as they're a Swedish manufacturer, how much do Hagstrom guitars sell for in Sweden?

I've no experience of their acoustics, but I keep talking myself out of buying a Viking semi-hollow. :)
Just found a local (3 hours away) music shop that sell Hagström guitars, i intend to try one when i visit. Interestingly alot of their guitar names are towns near where i live so I'll look in to where they're made.
This is a local price list, divide by 11 and you'll get £. http://www.musikcenter.se/#/varumarke/hagstr%C3%B6m/128

Offline Stormya

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 2
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2018, 07:50:06 pm »
Seagull and Yamaha get fantastic reviews for a) Quality and b) Bang for buck

(I am a little biased - I own a couple of Seagulls - but look for reviews online for "best acoustics under €500 or £500". Seagull features highly, as do Yamaha).
Seagull S6 Original
Seagull Artist Folk

Offline christiannorman

• Good Vibes 1
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2018, 03:35:44 pm »
Seagull and Yamaha get fantastic reviews for a) Quality and b) Bang for buck

(I am a little biased - I own a couple of Seagulls - but look for reviews online for "best acoustics under €500 or £500". Seagull features highly, as do Yamaha).
Thanks, will take a look

Get The Forum As A Mobile App