Author Topic: Batwoman's Road Case  (Read 11706 times)

Offline DavidP

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 181
  • You're always learning about guitars-Keef Richards
Re: Batwoman's Road Case
« Reply #135 on: July 27, 2018, 01:50:44 pm »
Good for your, RG ... thoroughly enjoyed that.  So much so that I am tempted to try and learn the song ...  sounded great.  Now I need your bass track to play over :)

Online MrBumble

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 15
« Reply #136 on: July 27, 2018, 02:37:35 pm »
Yes indeedy, great fun!

I dabbled with bass about 30 years ago. When I had my friend's bass in for a re-wire a few weeks ago I found I couldn't remember a thin about it.

Keep on rocking.
Guitars - Ovation Celebrity, Revelation RJT60Q.
Amplifiers -Marshall G30R CD, Fender Super Champ 25 SE, Laney A Fresco.

Offline embishop

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 72
« Reply #137 on: July 27, 2018, 03:51:12 pm »
Wow that sounded like such fun! Nice sounds on your bass, this is not helpful for my GAS ailment! 😃

Mari
Gretsch G5420T,  Epiphone SG400, Taylor 325ce, Martin OMCPA5
Boss Katana 50, Boss RC-1 loop pedal
Yamaha Clavinova CLP-525 digital piano

Offline DarrellW

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 84
  • What on earth was I going to do???
« Reply #138 on: July 27, 2018, 03:56:07 pm »
Wow that sounded like such fun! Nice sounds on your bass, this is not helpful for my GAS ailment! 😃
Mari
🤣🤣🤣
My singing sucks so I’m learning Guitar and Ukulele, it’s fun 🌟

Offline batwoman

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 82
« Reply #139 on: July 30, 2018, 06:47:18 am »
Mari

This might increase the severity of your symptoms Mari .... I now have the loan of a brand new bass and amp. I'm having a lot of fun with it.

Offline batwoman

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 82
« Reply #140 on: July 30, 2018, 06:50:07 am »
That was ACE 👍😎 sounds like you were having lots of fun!!!
If you’re finding a big bass a bit of a handful there are short scale ones (Thomann do an inexpensive but ok one) and of course my favourite a Ukulele Bass - same tuning just a lot smaller; here’s mine next to my 000 size guitar
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1xEXimP85v3yFH4LTPC9pi4QPPEOHUVf3

They both look like lovely guitars Darrell. Owning a bass is a long way off for me, if ever, but I'll consider what you've shown me. Thanks.

Offline oldhead49

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 102
« Reply #141 on: August 02, 2018, 04:05:52 pm »
Go, go, go.  It’s a lot harder playing notes and singing than strumming chords, for sure. You are having a good time, but so are we when you make these posts. Thanks for that. How’s the duo coming?

Sent from my iPhone using JustinGuitar.com Forum

Offline batwoman

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 82
« Reply #142 on: August 04, 2018, 07:18:49 am »
Go, go, go.  It’s a lot harder playing notes and singing than strumming chords, for sure. You are having a good time, but so are we when you make these posts. Thanks for that. How’s the duo coming?

Yes, you're right about singing notes Dave. I still can't sing and play bass. Oh how that sentence makes me laugh. Never in a million years would I have even dreamed of being able to write such a thing. I'm glad you're enjoying the posts, it makes me happy to get such lovely feedback.

The Honeys? We are stalled right now. Have had very few rehearsals. Leonie's aged parents who don't live locally are needing a lot of support. All I can say is we'll be ready when we're ready and that won't be soon.

Yesterday I jammed with three other women, the drummer from last week, another guitarist and a uke playing woman who wants to sing, me on bass, along with my wonderful teacher. We had a hoot of a time and plan on meeting regularly. We may even form a group.

Offline batwoman

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 82
« Reply #143 on: August 30, 2018, 08:11:06 am »
August 12, 2018. I posted a recording of Chocolate Jesus in AVOYP.

I'm so encouraged by the generous response and comments of you good folk. Thankyou for that.  :)

I was also invited by Roman to do a collab with him, same song Beth Hart style Whooooooooooo. Nearly fell off my chair when I read his post, but not for a minute did I hesitate to say 'thankyou very much' (not in an Elvis voice mind you)

What a brave man you are Roman to take on such a beginner  ??? 

Till then I'd made it an art form to know nothing about using recording software. I had to bite the bullet and learn how to use a DAW in order to collaborate with Roman and anyone else. My first step was to Google DAW and find out what it meant.  :-[   Reaper was my choice. Oh me oh my I had no idea. Like a toddler heading for a plate of cupcakes I started out all curious, excited and optimistic that I could learn the basics.

Day 1, after downloading and opening Reaper and making my first recording the toddler had what was to be the first of many meltdowns. I've never encountered a program so challenging. It's been like trying to find my way through a foreign land where I don't speak the language, my GPS won't work and I have the wrong map.

In an early message from Roman he said "soon you'll learn all the nuances of digital recording"  Nothing could have been further from the truth. Nuances?  :o

After the first meltdown which was followed by a migraine, the paramedics arrived in the form of LBro and Coach David (DavidP)

Between them they got me sorted. They both deserve a medal for bravery and going above and beyond the call of the pan pipes.

I can now make a recording and know how to render it to file. I thought rendering was what happened to turkey fat in a hot oven!

When I'm rational about it all I know that one of the outcomes will be that I'll able to play and sing better. Listening to playback through headphones gives me a lot of clarity and understanding about my playing and how I can improve. Perhaps too, after the work LBro and Coach David have done with me I'll even be able to make better recordings.

I've still got a long way to go before I get recordings that will be good enough for Roman. Will they be nuance filled treasures? I don't think so.

Meltdowns accompanied by tantrums and dummy spits continue to happen every other day as I stumble and bumble my way around Reaper.  Numerous therapeutic cups of tea are consumed on those days, along with a little cry into my hanky and some dark mumblings and mutterings. Usually Coach David or LBro fly by and sort me out. They seem to know somehow. Bless their generous hearts.

« Last Edit: August 30, 2018, 08:31:41 am by batwoman »

Offline DavidP

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 181
« Reply #144 on: August 30, 2018, 02:11:16 pm »
Maggie aka Batwoman aka Rock Granny,

You are an inspiration to me.  You are brave and persistent ... despite all that you have described, after a calming cuppa tea, you are back at it. 

I have no doubt that slowly, surely and inexorably, you'll figure this out.  And 6 months from now, you'll have forgotten the melt downs and be producing musical treats for us full of nuances.

You CJ was actually already a treat.  This will just open up more possibilities, particularly for these virtual collaborations. 

And as you get more familiar, beware of of GAS.  I told my colleagues after I'd posted my first super LoFi recordings that I didn't see myself needing an Audio Interface and mic. HA ... could I ever have been more wrong :) 

Cedar is blessed with top notch on-board electronics.  You are blessed with a voice many of us dream of.  I can just imagine you recording a live version of CJ, just you and Cedar with Cedar plugged in and you into a condensor mic capturing all the mood and dynamics of your singing.  There's a fresh round of goose-bumps.

It's a great pleasure to be able to offer some assistance, even just moral support ... it's what we all do for each other !!

As LBro would say ...

Rock on recording !!!

Offline batwoman

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 82
« Reply #145 on: August 31, 2018, 02:11:19 am »
And as you get more familiar, beware of of GAS.  I told my colleagues after I'd posted my first super LoFi recordings that I didn't see myself needing an Audio Interface and mic. HA ... could I ever have been more wrong :) 

David ..... NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO  :o ::) ;D

I'm happy with my Zoom, laptop with Reaper installed, vintage headphones and Cedar. Enough for me  8)

Offline DavidP

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 181
« Reply #146 on: August 31, 2018, 05:20:19 am »
David ..... NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO  :o ::) ;D

I'm happy with my Zoom, laptop with Reaper installed, vintage headphones and Cedar. Enough for me  8)
LoL ... and you need no more.  That was said somewhat tongue-in-cheek, knowing your thoughts and feelings on this topic  ;D

Offline redrhodie

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 59
« Reply #147 on: August 31, 2018, 01:16:18 pm »
Maggie,

You really are an inspiration. It is amazing to watch and hear your progress. I think you're awesome.

I hated learning to record, but I don't use a DAW. We have a Tascam portable digital studio. It was like learning to speak another language to use it. I had MANY meltdowns. Occasionally, I'll forget to press "save" and everything we are working on is gone. But, I have gotten better and better at using it. Things that used to take me hours take me minutes. It's mostly smooth sailing now. I am sure you'll also get the hang of it soon.

Something I did right at the start that was really, really helpful was I got a friend to record me in his home studio, and I picked up a lot of tips about mic placement and things like that from watching him. If you know someone who records at home, I'd ask them if they'd spend a few hours recording with you. It's much easier to learn by watching.

I can't wait to hear what you're working on! Very exciting!

Lynn

Sent from my Moto G (5S) Plus using Tapatalk

Offline batwoman

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 82
« Reply #148 on: September 01, 2018, 05:07:02 am »
Maggie,

You really are an inspiration. It is amazing to watch and hear your progress. I think you're awesome.

I hated learning to record, but I don't use a DAW. We have a Tascam portable digital studio. It was like learning to speak another language to use it. I had MANY meltdowns. Occasionally, I'll forget to press "save" and everything we are working on is gone. But, I have gotten better and better at using it. Things that used to take me hours take me minutes. It's mostly smooth sailing now. I am sure you'll also get the hang of it soon.

Something I did right at the start that was really, really helpful was I got a friend to record me in his home studio, and I picked up a lot of tips about mic placement and things like that from watching him. If you know someone who records at home, I'd ask them if they'd spend a few hours recording with you. It's much easier to learn by watching.

I can't wait to hear what you're working on! Very exciting!

Lynn

Thanks Lynn for your kind words and for the encouragement.  :)  It sure has been a tough, bumpy road. I don't dare say I hate Reaper  because Coach David will give me a slap  ;D 

I've managed three days without a meltdown so that's progress. I'm particularly comforted by "But, I have gotten better and better at using it. Things that used to take me hours take me minutes."  In the beginning my greatest frustration was that I'd spend hours on something and get nowhere. LBro has been absolutely fantastic with the help he's given me.

Offline brianlarsen

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 19
« Reply #149 on: October 30, 2018, 08:52:53 am »
I just stumbled across the road case section of the forum-
Some interesting stories here  :)

Feedback...the nasty kind... which I've discovered is called the Larsen Effect.
  ;D ;D ;D

Don'tcha love misquotes?  ;)

Get The Forum As A Mobile App