Author Topic: Batwoman's Road Case  (Read 55133 times)

Offline LBro

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 156
  • Well I am working on it.
    • YouTube offerings
Re: Batwoman's Road Case
« Reply #300 on: January 15, 2021, 12:47:39 pm »
Hi,
Sounds like a NY resolution and plan that is very ambitious. Very commendable to commit to it and strive for so much. I know how driven you are and that you will do well. Yet, have you asked yourself about balance and what I mentioned a while back? To stop and smell the roses along the way and enjoy the path that is unfolding before you as you traverse it? We are all different, but I think for myself. I realize my first hobby is music and as such I want to enjoy it as I go about it. I know I won't get as much done, but then too, I don't want to self impose so much pressure on myself as to sort of take the fun out of it. I worked too many decades already in industry... lol

But to you Maggie I wish you well on your endeavors and continued success. You had a great 2020 and I look forward to more growth for and from you. All the best in achieving it too. You only go around once, so make the most of it.

LB
You can rock a bit here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNOrtongjfX4RI33JWKwn7Q/featured

"I just experiment in guitar and music, at times something good comes of it..."
LB

Offline willsie01

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 13
  • Campfire Strummer wannabe
« Reply #301 on: January 15, 2021, 03:00:28 pm »
After reviewing my progress, I’ve set my goals for 2021.

Worthy goals!

Seeing your post is timely for me!
I've been floundering about wondering what to do with practice and last night watched the first video Set Your Guitar Goals, in Justin's Effective Practice series.

I quickly wrote down a series of goals and I don't know how practical they are but they're a start and it has given me some ideas to try and develop...and follow...a practice schedule. I'll be working my way through the other videos.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2021, 04:18:49 pm by willsie01 »

Offline tobyjenner

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 184
  • You're never too old to Rock'n'Roll
« Reply #302 on: January 15, 2021, 03:09:17 pm »
Be my guest Toby.

Good suggestions, thanks.  I'm not allowing myself to look at the guitar at all while I'm doing my exercises, scales and the easy songs.  Instead I have to listen and if it doesn't sound right, move my fingers around till it does. It's a good exercise in hearing exactly what I'm playing and in learning the sound of a particular note or chord. It's also giving me useful feedback about the strings or notes with which I need to strengthen my connection, so that I go straight there every time, rather than missing them/it most times. My greatest challenge at the moment is playing the Am pentatonic or C major like this, plus making sure I'm playing pick down, pick up etc.

I'm determined to be a player I'm proud of.

All good stuff, you are doing alright kiddo  8)
Here since Mar 2013 Completed BC, RUST 1 & 2, IM, MTMS Still on Blues Rhythm and Blues Lead
https://soundcloud.com/tobyjenner/   
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2wcjHmnrFuQyom6tqUtdrQ
Roadcase : https://justinguitarcommunity.com/index.php?to

Offline batwoman

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 188
« Reply #303 on: January 16, 2021, 02:21:47 am »
Yet, have you asked yourself about balance and what I mentioned a while back? To stop and smell the roses along the way and enjoy the path that is unfolding before you as you traverse it?

I take your point LB.

I know I'll get satisfaction from the sweet smell of success each time I achieve one of the mini goals I set myself each week eg this week here's just two of them - being able to play all the C, D and E notes on the fret at a minimum of 40 bpm, and playing Pattern 1 of the major scale, starting with G major at a minimum of 60 bpm. I'll do this with with good technique and pure tone. That will make me happy.

I'll also make sure there's time to chill out and play a few tunes here and there.
Walcott Custom OM Acoustic , G&L Tribute Fallout Electric, Crafter T035 OM Acoustic, Ashton Bass.

Offline batwoman

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 188
« Reply #304 on: January 16, 2021, 02:25:54 am »
Seeing your post is timely for me!
I've been floundering about wondering what to do with practice and last night watched the first video Set Your Guitar Goals, in Justin's Effective Practice series.

I quickly wrote down a series of goals and I don't know how practical they are but they're a start and it has given me some ideas to try and develop...and follow...a practice schedule. I'll be working my way through the other videos.

This sounds great Willsie. I was feeling just like you - floundering. It's helped a lot to write out my goals and to share them here. The other thing that works for me is to set mini goals each week. I make them achievable so that I build my confidence as I build my skill.  I'm finding PMT is giving me the structure and focus I need and it provides a nice balance of learning theory while playing in a purposeful way.
Walcott Custom OM Acoustic , G&L Tribute Fallout Electric, Crafter T035 OM Acoustic, Ashton Bass.

Offline willsie01

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 13
« Reply #305 on: January 17, 2021, 03:13:28 pm »
...I'm finding PMT is giving me the structure and focus I need and it provides a nice balance of learning theory while playing...

Yes, I'm finding PMT is opening up playing in ways I couldn't imagine. Currently stuck on the Grade 4 test! The Cycle of 5ths has so much in it!

Offline batwoman

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 188
« Reply #306 on: January 18, 2021, 01:55:29 am »
Yes, I'm finding PMT is opening up playing in ways I couldn't imagine. Currently stuck on the Grade 4 test! The Cycle of 5ths has so much in it!

That's great Willsie. I'm half way through Grade 3, which is where I left off 2 years ago.

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 629
  • Teesside, North East England.
« Reply #307 on: January 18, 2021, 08:14:19 pm »
I've been back here several times since your new year reinvigoration but somehow neglected to comment Maggie.

Do you want long and in-depth or short and pithy?

You do?

Okay, you've got it ... short and pithy it is.

Go Maggie Go, you're gonna clear them hurdles and reach the moon and thrill yourself and send us mad daft with glee you rocking bat-woman!

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 629
  • Teesside, North East England.
« Reply #308 on: January 18, 2021, 08:16:22 pm »
@willsie
@maggie

If you want any theory help ... you know where you can come!

:) :) :) :)

Offline tobyjenner

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 184
« Reply #309 on: January 18, 2021, 10:59:26 pm »
Inspirational Maggie

That post of yours got me to not only rejig my 2019 neglected in 2020 Practice Schedule but make it more focused for 2021. And although not part of my on paper "its an hour love" but could last longer plan, I have added PMT which I have restarted from scratch. I signed up for the life subscription mainly to put something back in to JGC but with all intent to get my theory a bit more polished. Events of 2020 became a distraction but reading your comments about PMT hands on guitar approach, made me rethink why Justin reinvented it, as I had previously just read to ten quid pdf. So guess I should update my case as well as I truly want to be more focused this year. Waahhhhooooeeeee  8)
Here since Mar 2013 Completed BC, RUST 1 & 2, IM, MTMS Still on Blues Rhythm and Blues Lead

Offline batwoman

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 188
« Reply #310 on: January 18, 2021, 11:18:34 pm »
Inspirational Maggie

That post of yours got me to not only rejig my 2019 neglected in 2020 Practice Schedule but make it more focused for 2021. And although not part of my on paper "its an hour love" but could last longer plan, I have added PMT which I have restarted from scratch. I signed up for the life subscription mainly to put something back in to JGC but with all intent to get my theory a bit more polished. Events of 2020 became a distraction but reading your comments about PMT hands on guitar approach, made me rethink why Justin reinvented it, as I had previously just read to ten quid pdf. So guess I should update my case as well as I truly want to be more focused this year. Waahhhhooooeeeee  8)

Good move Toby. Two years ago I was working from the pdf too. Then I was fortunate in winning the online course as part of the prize given to Roman and crew in a Xmas collab. I didn't do much with it at all because I couldn't play.  Justin's online course truly IS practical, musical, superbly structured and so well delivered. Quality stuff.  I'm enjoying myself immensely, and getting what I wanted most - playing better - out of it. It's helped a lot to have this as a focus, otherwise I go racing off in all directions, getting nowhere.

I'm looking forward to hearing your progress.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2021, 11:48:18 pm by batwoman »

Offline batwoman

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 188
« Reply #311 on: January 18, 2021, 11:21:33 pm »
Go Maggie Go, you're gonna clear them hurdles and reach the moon and thrill yourself and send us mad daft with glee you rocking bat-woman!

You crazy kid you, now I'm even more motivated so I can send you all mad daft with glee.  :-*

Ta thanks  :)

Offline batwoman

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 188
« Reply #312 on: January 18, 2021, 11:43:17 pm »
Wow very ambitious goals which will definitely keep you busy! I agree with others you did some wonderful music last year so be proud of it, positive mindset is a key which will also help with achieving your goals this year :) I keep fingers crossed for you.

Sorry Adrian I missed this. Thankyou for your kind, encouraging words. You're 100% right about mindset being the key. Crossing your fingers might make it hard to play  ;D

Offline adi_mrok

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 64
« Reply #313 on: January 19, 2021, 12:20:56 am »
Haha that made me laugh, that would explain why I was doing so bad today on my daily practice

Sent from my SM-G973F using JustinGuitar Community mobile app

Offline batwoman

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 188
« Reply #314 on: January 19, 2021, 12:51:23 am »
Haha that made me laugh, that would explain why I was doing so bad today on my daily practice

Playing with crossed fingers could be your trademark Adrian.  Can you imagine dazzling your audience with a flashy riff delivered so fast their heads spin? Then back to the program leaving them wondering if they saw what they thought the saw  ;D

Offline adi_mrok

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 64
« Reply #315 on: January 19, 2021, 09:52:44 am »
Jaw dropping thing, I think no one would even remember Hendrix and his playing with teeth after this

Sent from my SM-G973F using JustinGuitar Community mobile app

Offline willsie01

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 13
« Reply #316 on: January 19, 2021, 11:38:04 am »
@willsie
@maggie

I’ll certainly be posting more questions in the PMT section pretty soon. There’s one in my mind already! 🙂

Offline batwoman

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 188
« Reply #317 on: January 20, 2021, 03:57:32 am »
Jaw dropping thing, I think no one would even remember Hendrix and his playing with teeth after this

;D :o :o :o

Offline batwoman

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 188
« Reply #318 on: March 21, 2021, 03:28:17 am »
Today I had a magic moment.

I started on my intention to know all the notes on the fret January 16, 2021. What I was aiming for was to just know where they are ... without any thought.

I run through the drill every day. Some days are laborious and halting, others days are smoother. Till today I often had to think about some of the notes.

When I practice I make a point of looking ahead one note. Today I'd been playing through the notes, got to B and stalled on the fourth string. Before I could think about it,  I realised my eyes were looking at the note I wanted. Played it .... yahooo.

I'm so excited and encouraged by this.

Offline Endureth

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 59
« Reply #319 on: March 21, 2021, 04:02:37 am »

And I'm excited for you!!

Offline DavidP

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 365
  • You're always learning about guitars-Keef Richards
« Reply #320 on: March 21, 2021, 05:10:43 am »

YAHOOOO celebrating with you, Maggie

Effort - Breakthrough - Plateau - Effort and ever onwards we go

Your determination and discipline is an inspiration

Offline tobyjenner

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 184
« Reply #321 on: March 21, 2021, 01:20:22 pm »
Wonderful,  8)

Offline Twilight Storm

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 7
  • I kinda suck at music, but that doesn't stop me!
« Reply #322 on: March 21, 2021, 05:54:50 pm »
Grats! :) 🍻
Just a noob who likes diminished chords and songs that use them.

Electric Guitar - Yamaha Pacifica - 012 DLX. (SSH)

Guitalele - Yamaha GL-1

Offline batwoman

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 188
« Reply #323 on: March 22, 2021, 04:49:56 am »
And I'm excited for you!!

YAHOOOO celebrating with you, Maggie

Effort - Breakthrough - Plateau - Effort and ever onwards we go

Your determination and discipline is an inspiration

Grats! :) 🍻

Thankyou Endureth, David and Twilight for celebrating with me, makes it all the sweeter.

Offline embishop

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 117
  • Guitar-Goddess-In-Training
« Reply #324 on: March 24, 2021, 12:29:02 am »

That is a great moment to share here, Maggie, awesome, and good vibes to you! I also looked back to see what all the other comments related to, and that's a great music plan for 2021. Keep having fun!

Mari
American Pro Strat HSS, Gretsch G5420T, 
Taylor GS Mini-e Koa, Epiphone SG400
Boss Katana 50, Vibro Champ XD
Yamaha Clavinova CLP-525 digital piano

Get The Forum As A Mobile App