Author Topic: Batwoman's Road Case  (Read 19067 times)

Offline batwoman

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 105
Re: Batwoman's Road Case
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2018, 01:32:00 am »
That's a new phrase on me ... like it.
 8)

Can't take credit for this it's one of Darrells.

Offline embishop

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 81
  • Playing my way to a new way of thinking. ~ JG
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2018, 02:27:50 pm »
What an incredible journey to find your guitar, it doesn't get any better than that. Very very happy for you, can hardly wait to hear you together. :)

Mari
Gretsch G5420T,  Taylor GS Mini-e Koa, Epiphone SG400, Martin OMCPA5
Boss Katana 50, Boss RC-1 loop pedal
Yamaha Clavinova CLP-525 digital piano

Offline DarrellW

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 94
  • What was I doing?
« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2018, 06:20:29 pm »
Can't take credit for this it's one of Darrells.
Who? Me? Scoobie oobie doooooo ;)
My singing sucks so I’m learning Guitar and Ukulele, it’s fun 🌟

Offline batwoman

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 105
« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2018, 02:02:20 am »
What an incredible journey to find your guitar, it doesn't get any better than that. Very very happy for you, can hardly wait to hear you together. :)

Mari

Thankyou Mari, it's all the sweeter to have folk like you with whom I can share. You might have to wait a while before you hear us play together  :D

Offline batwoman

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 105
« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2018, 03:39:04 am »
Just back from a meeting with the Pete the luthier. He has all the components ready and has bent the sides.  We had a long chat about electronics and how I would use the. He showed me all the options, plugged them in, demo-ed them. More about that in a future post.  Here's a few photos. Warning: I think I'm going to be like a mother with her first born baby .... lots and lots of photos  ;D

Front to back, Kwila fingerboard, Silky Oak sides that have been shaped (made from an old door), my gold Grover tuners, and at the back Western Red Cedar which will be the soundboard.

Close up of the sides.

Close up of the Silky Oak neck, also part of the door. The hole is where the lock was.

More of the components, front left the soundboard, back left the Silky Oak back, neck
and profile, the rest you'll figure out.

Lovely Pete the luthier.

Offline MrBumble

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 17
« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2018, 07:27:36 am »
Warning: I think I'm going to be like a mother with her first born baby .... lots and lots of photos  ;D

And why not?
I think we'd be deeply disappointed if you didn't post loads of pictures.

It's exciting to see something taking shape and I will try not to be jealous!

Pete looks like a man who is happy in his work.
Guitars - Gretsch 5120, Ovation Celebrity, Revelation RJT60Q.
Pedals - TC Polytune 2, Mooer BluesCrab, Boss CE5 Chorus, Boss RC3 Looper, TC Flashback 2
Amplifiers - Fender Super Champ 25 SE, Laney A Fresco, Marshall G30R CD,

Offline DarrellW

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 94
  • What was I doing?
« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2018, 10:49:47 am »
Great to see things happening, yes please post plenty of photos - it’s great to see this sort of thing!
The birth of your new guitar is really going to be something special to you and all of us who are champing at the bit in anticipation!!!
I’ve been following someone who’s building their own guitar and done a series on YT documenting it, it’s a bit long winded but she goes through every single detail comprehensively showing all of the things that can happen. It’s a fascinating watch if you’ve got the time!
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLNZrIoijCmgEi15FSreYERMvcsw49USjL
My singing sucks so I’m learning Guitar and Ukulele, it’s fun 🌟

Online close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 433
  • Teesside, North East England.
« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2018, 11:10:58 am »
Keep them coming - pics and updates.  :)

Offline phx1973

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 39
« Reply #23 on: February 19, 2018, 01:03:48 pm »
Agreed, the more pics the better. It's fun to follow along in this story. Especially for somebody like me, who loves these instruments but knows absolutely nothing about how they are actually made. How fun for you to be going thru this process, Batwoman!
BC completed August, 2016
Currently In Intermediate Method - Foundation 3
Gear: Fender Standard Tele, Gibson Les Paul Junior, Epiphone Hummingbird Pro (Acoustic), Fender Bassbreaker 15 Amp, Fender Mustang I amp

Offline batwoman

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 105
« Reply #24 on: February 20, 2018, 03:35:27 am »
Thankyou lovely guitarists and musicians for indulging me. More photos? Oh yeah happy to oblige  :)

Here's the back, with the Tasmanian Oak pieces resting on it. They will be inlaid between the silky oak and the cedar.  It's an OM (orchestra) model.

Pete cuts his kerfeling by hand.

Some detail about the electronics. One of the fantastic things about Pete is that he spends a lot of time asking his clients about their music, their style, where they want to go etc. I was going to have this put into my guitar. I didn't know any better or that there were other options.

He'd been thinking about what I'd told him and suggested it would be good to look at other options. What Pete walked me through yesterday, complete with plugged in demo's, was the range of electronics available and what suited me better. I doubt I'll ever play in public more than a few times a year. That will be Open Mics etc, where there will be a desk (I think that's the right word?) and a sound tech. So I don't need this super duper thing.

I've never liked the look of them, and Pete showed me how they sit inside the guitar. He also explained how they affect the sound of an unplugged acoustic, which is how I'll be playing most of the time. I don't want a big, rectangular hole cut in the side of my guitar either. I love looking at the wood.

He was so thorough, won't go into detail of all he demo-ed, but what I've chosen is this. I like its minimalism, and that the only hole cut is the small hole in the base for the jack input (right name?) If I want to I can buy an external pre-amp. Really happy he talked me through this. He also said that if my use/needs change and I want the black one, he can do that.

Here's how it sits inside the guitar. Picture from the internet.

That's today's instalment.

Offline tobyjenner

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 115
  • You're never too old to Rock'n'Roll
« Reply #25 on: February 20, 2018, 06:30:51 pm »
Looking good Mrs B, thanks for the updates  8)
Arrived here Mar 2013 Since completed BC, RUST 1 & 2, IM and MTMS Now on Blues Rhythm and Blues Lead
My Soundcloud : https://soundcloud.com/tobyjenner/
Roadcase : https://justinguitarcommunity.com/index.php?topic=39537.msg339454#msg33945

Offline batwoman

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 105
« Reply #26 on: March 01, 2018, 04:47:15 am »
She's on the way.

This is the back.

Shaping the sides

Offline oldhead49

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 128
« Reply #27 on: March 01, 2018, 06:08:09 pm »
Gorgeous!! You must lay awake nights in anticipation.  Can’t wait to see it finished, but more anticipating hearing it.

Sent from my iPhone using JustinGuitar.com Forum

Offline Sweed77

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 65
« Reply #28 on: March 01, 2018, 07:14:25 pm »
Great thread batwoman.  Thanks for sharing :)
My soundcloud  https://soundcloud.com/sweed59

"The Thread"  the original beginners songbook thread https://justinguitarcommunity.com/index.php?topic=33339.0

Offline Barnezy

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 10
« Reply #29 on: March 01, 2018, 10:43:03 pm »
Exciting stuff. There is no substitute for quality craftsmanship. Can’t wait to see the next instalment!

Sent from my iPad using JustinGuitar.com Forum
Guitars: Collings OM2H, Martin Dreadknought Junior, Fender MIA Std Stratocaster, Admira A2 Classical
Amps and Pedals: Blackstar HT1R, Boss GT1
Favourite Styles: Finger Style, Blues, Folk, Rock
Favourite Guitarists: Knopfler, Clapton, Greenwood, Jimmy

Get The Forum As A Mobile App