Author Topic: Batwoman's Road Case  (Read 14036 times)

Offline batwoman

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 88
Batwoman's Road Case
« on: January 22, 2018, 03:15:00 am »
Today I ordered my custom made acoustic guitar  :)  and I'm excited!

I'm documenting this once in a lifetime experience for a few reasons. One of my reasons is to extract every drop of enjoyment out of it.

As some of you know I've been searching for a guitar for some time. Thankyou to all of those who've given me good advise  :). I thought my dream guitar was a Maton. Nah, even when I went beyond my price range. Nor did Gibson, Taylor, Martin or Takamine pass my test.

My test? When somethings really right for me it will give me goosebumps or bring tears to my eyes. The day I heard a prototype of the guitar I'm having built played, I had both goosebumps and tears. There are so many things about this project that tick the boxes for me. One of them is that Pete the luthier crafts his guitars from recycled timber.

Here's the three pieces of timber we are considering for the back and sides. The timber is silky oak (Grevillea robusta) an Australian timber. The neck and headstock and some of the inlay around the sound hole will also be silky oak. The one in the front is my fave. It was a door. Yet to be completely milled. The white stuff is paint.

« Last Edit: January 22, 2018, 05:09:47 am by batwoman »

Offline glpguitar

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 10
Re: Batwoman's Road Case
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2018, 10:30:02 am »
Awesome, congrats Batwoman!! Keep us updated :).

Offline tobyjenner

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 112
  • You're never too old to Rock'n'Roll
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2018, 02:47:02 pm »
Hey Mrs B

Sounds like a really exciting project, can't wait for the updates and the finished guitar !

Cheers

Toby
 8)
Arrived here Mar 2013 Since completed BC, RUST 1 & 2, IM and MTMS Now on Blues Rhythm and Blues Lead
My Soundcloud : https://soundcloud.com/tobyjenner/
Roadcase : https://justinguitarcommunity.com/index.php?topic=39537.msg339454#msg33945

Offline phx1973

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 35
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2018, 01:08:38 am »
Very cool. Can’t wait to see the finished product!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BC completed August, 2016
Currently In Intermediate Method - Foundation 3
Gear: Fender Standard Tele, Gibson Les Paul Junior, Epiphone Hummingbird Pro (Acoustic), Fender Bassbreaker 15 Amp, Fender Mustang I amp

Offline batwoman

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 88
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2018, 01:18:47 am »
The electronics are LR Baggs Element Stage Pro Advanced Undersaddle Pickup With Side mounted preamp. I'm going to have a lot of fun learning to use this toy. My current guitar doensn't have a pick-up.

Here's the blurb from the website. "Unlike typical undersaddle acoustic guitar pickups that are dependent on string compression for their sound, the Element was engineered to mirror the soundboard’s actual movement as you play. At the heart of the pickup, a flexible film sensor only 2 thousandths of an inch thick picks up the guitar’s most delicate nuances. Tracking the motion of the top rather than a direct string attack suppresses “quack” caused by compression and unlocks the Element’s unrivaled dynamic range. The pickup’s minimalist construction lessens any influence on the acoustic properties and creates an intimate coupling between the pickup and guitar for the highest fidelity possible."

Its features:

• Includes Element pickup
    Side mounted preamp/controls
    Master volume
    Bass, mid & treble control
    Notch filter
    Phase inversion
    Onboard tuner with mute function
    9V Battery access drawer
    Battery life indicator
    Battery life: 100+ hrs

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 408
  • Teesside, North East England.
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2018, 09:44:49 am »
I'm going to follow with interest.  8)

Online DavidP

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 206
  • You're always learning about guitars-Keef Richards
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2018, 02:38:45 pm »
Batwoman,

I'm thrilled for you.  I read the conversation about the Gibson and the Maton without reply.  What an experience now to have a custom guitar that raises goosebumps.

On that note, can you point us to a website or YouTube where we can hear a sample of these guitars?

You have been around since I joined the Community, offering wonderfully encouraging feedback and tips to improve, your original song and then you shared the big moment of a first public performance.  Now this to take things on to a next level.

Have fun and look forward to hearing more from you in 2018!

Offline batwoman

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 88
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2018, 01:57:40 am »
You have been around since I joined the Community, offering wonderfully encouraging feedback and tips to improve, your original song and then you shared the big moment of a first public performance.  Now this to take things on to a next level.

Ha ha David with your 1533 posts made in just over a year I would consider you to be the Master of Feedback :) I'm not talking about the nasty kind that can come from the sound system which causes one to cover ones ears, which I've discovered is called the Larsen Effect.  You also seem to have a remarkable memory. Thankyou for your kind words and for your quality posts. Always well worth a read. Here's some of Peter's guitars. Mine will be a little like the one third from the left. It's an OM or orchestra size/shape. My fingerboard will look more like the timber in the one second from the right. It's kwila or merbau.

Offline batwoman

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 88
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2018, 02:07:48 am »
I'm going to follow with interest.  8)

Thanks Close. Having the folk in this community with whom I can share this makes it all the better.

Offline batwoman

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 88
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2018, 02:09:31 am »
Hey Mrs B

Sounds like a really exciting project, can't wait for the updates and the finished guitar !

Cheers

Toby
 8)

Thanks Toby. It's going to be about 6 weeks before the guitar is finished. Pete plans on starting next week. I have yet to choose the timber for the soundboard. I'll be sure to get photos I can post.

Offline batwoman

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 88
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2018, 04:55:23 am »
On that note, can you point us to a website or YouTube where we can hear a sample of these guitars?

Here y'are David.

Offline DarrellW

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 88
  • What on earth was I going to do???
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2018, 06:28:26 am »
Well, so far I resisted saying anything but can’t wait any longer!!!
The Demo says it all!!!
What an amazing guitar, if the Demo is like what you’ve in for OMG, you definitely can’t go wrong with one!!!
Glued to this thread!!!
My singing sucks so I’m learning Guitar and Ukulele, it’s fun 🌟

Online DavidP

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 206
  • You're always learning about guitars-Keef Richards
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2018, 07:31:09 am »
Here y'are David.

Thanks for this Batwoman. 

Wow, what a wonderful sounding guitar.  I can hear the richness of the tones and its dynamic.  And boy oh boy, I wish I could sit and play just like the guy doing the review ... practice, practice, practice and I'll get more like that this year  :)

Thank you for your kind words and for your quality posts. Always well worth a read.
I appreciate that ... I strive to be has helpful and supportive as I can, to be a positive contributor to this global community.

Pete sure does produce some beautiful looking instruments.

Looking forward to the next post as your guitar comes into being ...

Offline batwoman

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 88
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2018, 01:01:09 am »
Well, so far I resisted saying anything but can’t wait any longer!!!
The Demo says it all!!!
What an amazing guitar, if the Demo is like what you’ve in for OMG, you definitely can’t go wrong with one!!!
Glued to this thread!!!

Thanks Darrell. My guitar will be made of the same timber combo - silky oak back, sides and neck and a cedar sound board, so there's every chance she will be as good as if not better than the demo model. My guitar won't be finished with gloss either. Some folk believe that you get a better sound with a natural finish.

She won't be a Cupboard Queen that's for sure.

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 408
  • Teesside, North East England.
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2018, 09:31:08 am »

She won't be a Cupboard Queen that's for sure.

That's a new phrase on me ... like it.
 8)

Get The Forum As A Mobile App