Author Topic: Looking at the Epiphone Hummingbird Pro - thoughts?  (Read 1361 times)

Offline phx1973

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 29
Looking at the Epiphone Hummingbird Pro - thoughts?
« on: January 19, 2018, 01:28:38 am »
Hi everyone,

I’m about midway thru Justin’s intermediate method. I now have 3 electric guitars, an amp, and pedalboard; but realize I need (okay, want) a decent acoustic to go along with it. Today at Guitar Center I tried out the Epiphone Hummingbird Pro (acoustic electric). I liked it a lot but likely will never actually plug it in. Quality wise, am I better off looking to spend a similar amount of money on a straight acoustic? Would I get better quality that way? Are there any cons to the sound quality due to the pickup/preamp?

What else should I be looking at?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BC completed August, 2016
Currently In Intermediate Method - Foundation 3
Gear: Fender Standard Tele, Gibson Les Paul Junior, Epiphone Hummingbird Pro (Acoustic), Fender Bassbreaker 15 Amp, Fender Mustang I amp

Offline DarrellW

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 72
  • What on earth was I going to do???
Re: Looking at the Epiphone Hummingbird Pro - thoughts?
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2018, 06:31:29 am »
Have a look here, review of the Hummingbird pro and some other options, if it were my money I would most likely go for a Yamaha or Takemine but you have to try them to make your own mind up!
https://www.guitarfella.com/best-acoustic-guitar/under-300/
My singing sucks so I’m learning Guitar and Ukulele, it’s fun 🌟

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 378
  • Teesside, North East England.
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2018, 09:07:07 am »
Getting an acoustic - nice one.
If the likelihood of plugging in is negligible do not pay for onboard electronics.
That money will be better spent on something wholly acoustic.
If you ever want to amplify / record it you have the option of soundhole pickups that clip on temporarily: (amplifying) and microphones (recording).
I won't recommend makes / models as I'm not sure how big a selection you have in the shops near you.
Just go there and sit with several.
Go away.
Return another day.
Wash, rinse, repeat until you 'know'.

Offline CT

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 7
    • SoundCloud
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2018, 04:27:38 am »
If you are interested in the Epiphone line consider the Masterbuilt series, or if you want a jumbo, the EJ-200SCE. The electronics, built in tuner, etc, on those Epi models are really nice (you get a bridge and a neck pickup). I would recommend getting a decent acoustic/electric, either way, so that you can learn how to layer music or practice in a looper (with an amp) or in a DAW (without a microphone). I don't think electronics take away from the sound or add all that much cost to a mass produced guitar. Ultimately, play a bunch of guitars and go with what you like best.

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 378
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2018, 11:07:11 am »
Yep - I've got an Epiphone Masterbilt DR-500MCE and it's great. All solid wood, decent electronics, cutaway. What's not to like.
http://www.epiphone.com/Products/Acoustic-Electric/Masterbilt-DR-500MCE.aspx

Offline LievenDV

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 144
    • Point Fifty
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2018, 12:42:29 pm »
I already had so much enjoyment of plugging in my acoustic but if you are certain you'll never need it why not. (+you can always attach a removable pickup later if it's necessary)

Every public appearance I used ift for, whether it's a small family gathering or busking on the street; plugging it in and adding a bit of EQ'ing and reverb: yum! :)
my band: fb: Point Fifty | Instagram: Point Fifty

Offline phx1973

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 29
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2018, 01:31:04 pm »
Thanks for the help, all. You may have seen in my other post that I went with the Hummingbird Pro. Very happy with it. Got it for a great price too, about $80 less than typical brand new.

CT - I tried an EJ (jumbo). Loved how loud it was, and good tone too. And having an onboard tuner would have been a nice bonus. But I just preferred the body size and style of the hummingbird better. Just too dang big. Haha.

Close - that Masterbuilt looks amazing! Any YouTube videos of you playing that one that you could share?

Thanks Lieven. An acoustic amp may be in my future. For now I’m just happy playing it in my basement & using my electrics when I want to plug in.

Gear: Fender Standard Tele, Gibson Les Paul Junior, Epiphone Hummingbird Pro (Acoustic), Fender Bassbreaker 15 Amp, Fender Mustang I amp

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 378
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2018, 02:05:00 pm »
@ phx

I haven't done any videos for a loooongg time ... nor recording either for that matter.
Here's the Epi in audio though:
https://soundcloud.com/mrclose2u/hallelujah

Offline MrBumble

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 14
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2018, 02:19:15 pm »
Nothing to do with the Epi, sorry!

If you've followed the other threads on Hallelujah you'll know I don't like most of the covers (OK I'm a Cohen fan) but this is absolutely stunning. What a voice, and the guitar is pretty good too.
Guitars - Ovation Celebrity, Revelation RJT60Q.
Amplifiers -Marshall G30R CD, Fender Super Champ 25 SE, Laney A Fresco.

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 378
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2018, 02:23:56 pm »
Thanks Mr B
 :)

Offline LievenDV

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 144
    • Point Fifty
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2018, 03:52:03 pm »

Thanks Lieven. An acoustic amp may be in my future. For now I’m just happy playing it in my basement & using my electrics when I want to plug in.

I don't have an "acoustic amp" either! :)
I plugged in my street cube, little vox 5 watt amp, in my Fender blues deluxe, straight into my audio interface,.... right amount of gain, volume, bass-mid-treble and some reverb and/or delay for the spaciousness and it all works!

Offline phx1973

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 29
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2018, 08:43:36 pm »
@Close - that cover of hallelujah was absolutely stunning. Thanks so much for sharing!

@Lieven - that’s very timely because I’ve been wondering if I could use my Fender Mustang I modeling amp in the same way. They have this one setting they call “Studio Pre-Amp” that’s supposed to be totally clean and dry. I may need to explore more, knowing something similar worked for you.

Offline LievenDV

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 144
    • Point Fifty
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2018, 09:35:18 pm »
@Lieven - that’s very timely because I’ve been wondering if I could use my Fender Mustang I modeling amp in the same way.

Oh even the cleaner amp modls like jazz chorus or clean fender settings will give you interesting sounds! it all depends on the sound of the guitar really. you will dig a compressor to "even out" the volumes of your playing, a faint delay and some reverb for some ear pleasing picking and strumming!
Some video's will claim otherwise but that's because their "clean" channel is nowhere clean.
I'm pretty sure an amp with so much options as a fender mustang will give you enough options to play through it.

Want to be sure? test it in the store!
They might give you a strange look but if you explain that you want to try a pretty clean amp with a bit of time effect for testing sake, they might co-operate :)

check this btw:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0wFdAAmBGkI

Offline CT

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 7
    • SoundCloud
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2018, 04:29:59 pm »
The Mustang I v.2 can be run completely clean by pressing the TAP button and the power button at the same time (when you turn the amp on). Verify that you are bypassing any presets by turning the preset dial and check that the tone doesn't change. This bypassed setting works out great for acoustic guitars.

Offline phx1973

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 29
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2018, 02:49:24 am »
The Mustang I v.2 can be run completely clean by pressing the TAP button and the power button at the same time (when you turn the amp on). Verify that you are bypassing any presets by turning the preset dial and check that the tone doesn't change. This bypassed setting works out great for acoustic guitars.
thanks for the tip. i will give that a try.

Get The Forum As A Mobile App