Author Topic: "While My Guitar Gently Weeps" Transcribing Video  (Read 1261 times)

Offline Wheelin Rev

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 5
  • 4-String Convert In-Process
    • DAT Ministries
"While My Guitar Gently Weeps" Transcribing Video
« on: January 15, 2018, 05:13:48 pm »
MODS: Wasn't exactly sure where to put this so feel free to move it to the correct forum if necessary...

I am trying to watch the "While My Guitar Gently Weeps" Transcribing Video. Here in the States, at least at my location in Maryland, the video is being blocked. Is this correct? See the graphic below. Any help would be appreciated. Cheers! Dave

Rev. David E. Hamm
Severn, Maryland, USA (Skype ---> PastorDATM)
Guitars and Amps:
1978 Fender Precision Bass (Sold 1987)
2016 Squire Affinity Strat HSS by Fender (January 2017) with Marshall Code 50 Modelling Amp and Fender Frontman 15G Amp

Offline Wheelin Rev

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 5
    • DAT Ministries
Re: "While My Guitar Gently Weeps" Transcribing Video
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2018, 05:30:00 am »
Just tried to access again from my iPhone 7 and received the same message:

Oh well... Dave

Sent from my iPhone using JustinGuitar Community mobile app
Rev. David E. Hamm
Guitars and Amps:
2016 Squire Affinity Strat HSS by Fender (January 2017) with Marshall Code 50 Modelling Amp and Fender Frontman 15G Amp

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 399
  • Teesside, North East England.
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2018, 08:24:31 am »
It's the youtube legal block alorithms I'm afraid.

Offline Wheelin Rev

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 5
    • DAT Ministries
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2018, 01:45:00 pm »
close2u, thanks for the response. The YouTube Legal Block Algorithm must be selective because the Transcribing the Chain video is not blocked. Go figure... LOL! Cheers! Dave
Rev. David E. Hamm
Guitars and Amps:

Online Majik

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 102
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2018, 03:11:46 pm »
Roughly speaking, it's a tool Youtube provide that's controlled by the copyright holders or their representatives.

From what I can gather, it does some sort of audio fingerprinting algorithm (similar to that used by "what's this song" type apps (Shazam, Google,  etc.) and tests all new uploads to find approximate matches to the songs registered by those companies. If a match is found, the copyright holder's account settings determine what action should be taken. That might include taking the video down, or they could chose to add their own advertising to it (for which they receive the revenue).

All of this is totally automated.

It is, on one hand, a pain because the system can have false positives and other errors. It also doesn't allow for legally allowed use such as review, parody, etc. and some companies abuse these, and other, mechanisms  (in particular some companies have taken down bad reviews of their products using these sorts of tools).

There's also been at least one case I know of where record company claimed ownership of some music that one of their artists had sampled, and took action against the original author/performer who had been sampled.

On the other hand, if it wasn't for these automated mechanisms, it's possible that there wouldn't be so much content published on Youtube in the first place.

Note that there is an appeal mechanism in place although, historically, it's not always been very good.

In this case, it might just be that the snippets of The Chain in Justin's second video weren't long enough to allow the algorithm to detect the song properly.

Cheers,

Keith
Guitars: PRS Singlecut S2, Fender Tele Lite Ash, G&L Legacy Tribute, Freshman Apollo 2 OCBX
Amps: Bugera G5 Head, Boss Katana 100
All sorts of other stuff.

Get The Forum As A Mobile App