Author Topic: At Seventeen cover (Janis Ian)  (Read 444 times)

Offline embishop

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 39
Re: At Seventeen cover (Janis Ian)
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2018, 11:58:21 pm »
Well that was really pretty. Loved the tone of the guitar with the tone of her voice. Also liked the rhythm you had there, Mari. It had a lovely chilled out vibe. Kind of a Jobim feeling to it. I think she just needs to back off the mic a tiny bit when she belts it out. I think that will solve the vocals getting too loud towards the end. I didn't read all the comments, so sorry if that was already suggested.

Very nice to relax to.

Lynn

Thanks Lynn :) I've had some input on mic placement so that goes along with backing off from the mic when she belts out some of the lines. We'll need to experiment a bit to figure out best recording techniques for sure.

I had to look up Jobim, not familiar with him, and I see he's a Brazilian artist. The song is Bossa Nova style, which is Brazilian, so maybe he plays some / a lot in that style. I definitely like the beat of this song.

Thanks

Mari
Epiphone SG400, Taylor 325ce, Martin OMCPA5, Ovation Balladeer
Boss Katana 50, Boss RC-1 loop pedal
Yamaha Clavinova CLP-525 digital piano, Boss VE-2 Vocal Harmonist

Offline kontenda

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 13
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2018, 03:48:33 am »
I've always liked this song. Really nice work on the guitar and well sung by your partner. I had a quick look at what chords are required  - looked complicated to me. That small riff in the middle was handled well and liked the ending melody on the guitar too. A nice clear crisp recording as well. Enjoyed it.
BC May 2015 - April 2016
Currently IM3

Offline Mike Sebastian P

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 1
« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2018, 08:27:11 am »
I did not hear the original, but your performance really liked it, and the guitar and the vocals sound great, I'll listen to your song more than once!

Mike

Offline DavidP

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 66
  • You're always learning about guitars,Keef Richards
« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2018, 09:21:06 am »
David,

Right at the top I want to say thanks for the epic wall of text! Thanks so much for taking the time to write all this, David, very much appreciated.

You know what they say about not assuming … lol I didn’t think about checking for a delay plug in, all I did was move one of the duplicate tracks forward a bit. 11 ms seemed to be too much, so I think I left it at 3 or 4 because that’s what I could manage with moving it myself. It will be much easier if I use a plugin. I’ll PM you.

I think this makes sense to me when reading it and also looking at Reaper. My understanding of condenser mics was that it would pick up a lot so mic placement wasn’t an issue, but in replaying a lot of what I’ve already read on the Forum and your comments here I just realized it’s a big issue! We’ll have to work on that, especially for a song like this one where the volume on the vocals varies so much. I will also try our dynamic mic on my guitar anyway, just to see what the difference is. We recorded this song in 2 different tracks, both using the condenser mic.

How are you figuring out what the average db is on the different tracks? Or are you  just estimating and also only have the skinny or wider waves and are putting in some numbers, -12cb, -30db, based on your own experience recording and knowing what you tend to record at?

It’s unfortunate that the part that includes “what you should absolutely avoid” is the part that doesn’t really make sense to me! Krista and I will look at this together later.

Mari,

An offset of 3-4ms would explain why I heard the guitar like a single track in the centre.  My hearing not acute enough combined with quality of my playback, meant I heard the two as one in the centre and what you gained was volume.  I will mail you the plugin and some tips about how to use Reaper to do what you did more easily.

Knowing that you recorded the two tracks individually makes mic placement less of an issue in terms of what I was thinking about i.e. bleed between the two.  Placement to record the guitar still important since it can influence the tone.  And important from the vocal perspective in terms of possible reflections.  Volume wise, as Lynn said, Krista can move closer or further from the mic but still think adding on a compressor would help.  Perhaps have a go and share mix 2 to get feedback on trying it out.

I am just judging average DB by looking at the meters and watching the peaks as I go.  Then also look at the peak reading, reseting it by clicking on the reading after making changes (ctrl click resets all the readings).  The readings are at the top of the meters, one for left and one for right, below the reading in db of the fader position.

The numbers in my reply were purely illustrative, no particular significance.  As I say, if you can target average of -18db to -12db, which is what I have seen recommended as a level where the DAW, plugins, AI etc tend to work well, also providing headroom to apply effects, combine multiple tracks etc and stay below the 0db on the master.  But if Krista's singing and a gain setting on the AI (not introducing background noise etc) ends up lower it doesn't matter as you can just boost it in the DAW or lower the guitar to be in balance.

When you look at the meter for the master track in your mixer, the peak db values should always be negative.  As soon as you go positive ie above 0db then the meter will show red and it means you will be getting clipping.  Then you just need to pull down the levels.  You could do this on the master fader or you could group all the tracks in the mix and pull all the faders down simultaneously which will reduce the levels without messing with the level of each track relative to the others.

As for the rest, will shift over to PM as I think we've moved beyond just sharing some thoughts about this production.

And a pleasure to try and assist you in learning more about this, based on my (limited) experience.

Offline embishop

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 39
« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2018, 02:53:56 pm »
I've always liked this song. Really nice work on the guitar and well sung by your partner. I had a quick look at what chords are required  - looked complicated to me. That small riff in the middle was handled well and liked the ending melody on the guitar too. A nice clear crisp recording as well. Enjoyed it.

Thanks Kontenda. I wasn't actually happy with the little riff in the middle because I'm not playing it consistently for notes and / or timing each time I play through. I love the guitar arrangement overall, once you get the timing down the chords are okay. The 6th string is tuned to C and the 5th string is tuned to G to match how Janis Ian plays it now.

Offline embishop

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 39
« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2018, 02:59:04 pm »
I did not hear the original, but your performance really liked it, and the guitar and the vocals sound great, I'll listen to your song more than once!

Mike

Thanks Mike, I'm glad you liked it :)

Offline embishop

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 39
« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2018, 03:03:46 pm »
And a pleasure to try and assist you in learning more about this, based on my (limited) experience.

Thanks for all the info you provided, David, it's been really incredibly helpful

Offline DarrellW

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 45
  • What next???
« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2018, 07:16:25 pm »
Bit late on the scene here but all I can say is WOW!!!
Lovely relaxing song and performance to listen to, very well done ladies, more please 👍👍👍
Too much to list now, I have a bad case of GAS, UAS, and general ‘must have syndrome’
My bank account and Plastic live in fear!!!

Offline embishop

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 39
« Reply #23 on: January 13, 2018, 11:57:34 pm »
Bit late on the scene here but all I can say is WOW!!!
Lovely relaxing song and performance to listen to, very well done ladies, more please 👍👍👍

Thanks lots Darrell 😃

Offline pkboo3

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 29
« Reply #24 on: January 14, 2018, 04:44:23 am »
Very pretty, Mari & Krista!  Your guitar playing was really good and Krista’s voice - beautiful!

Sent from my iPhone using JustinGuitar.com Forum

Offline embishop

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 39
« Reply #25 on: January 14, 2018, 04:41:22 pm »
Very pretty, Mari & Krista!  Your guitar playing was really good and Krista’s voice - beautiful!

Thanks Pam 😃

Get The Forum As A Mobile App