Author Topic: Gibson Les Paul Standard HP 2018 - I'm in love?  (Read 5637 times)

Offline m_c

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 33
Re: Gibson Les Paul Standard HP 2018 - I'm in love?
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2018, 11:41:39 pm »
If I was after a LP, I'd definitely want to try first.

Gibson's quality control over recent years has often been a bit questionable, and I've seen a good few comments about how two seemingly identical models feel and play very differently. Comments about this years models do seem far more positive though.

Offline Barnezy

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 10
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2018, 12:44:55 am »
Yes there is a lot of forum chatter about Gibson QC declining, but there are also a lot of people who say this is not true as well.

Gibson is a mass producer, you are not going to get an artisan guitar like you might from a smaller producer, unless maybe you go custom shop. However every Gibson I've ever looked at has seemed well made. Judge for yourself and if you're happy that it's worth the money, then it is.

One thing I would say is I had a Gibson with the robot tuning. I didn't like it personally, but I don't mind tuning my guitar. I actually found it took longer with it.

Sent from my iPad using JustinGuitar.com Forum
Guitars: Collings OM2H, Martin Dreadknought Junior, Fender MIA Std Stratocaster, Admira A2 Classical
Amps and Pedals: Blackstar HT1R, Boss GT1
Favourite Styles: Finger Style, Blues, Folk, Rock
Favourite Guitarists: Knopfler, Clapton, Greenwood, Jimmy

Online stitch101

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 152
« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2018, 01:10:43 am »
If I was after a LP, I'd definitely want to try first.

Gibson's quality control over recent years has often been a bit questionable, and I've seen a good few comments about how two seemingly identical models feel and play very differently. Comments about this years models do seem far more positive though.

I have one question for you m_c. How many Gibson Guitars have you owned or even played?
I hear all kinds of things about Gibson and most of it comes from people who have never owned on.

I'll be the first person to say Gibson isn't for everyone,  but just because you have read afew comments on the internet
doesnt make you an expert. Gibson bashing has been going on for 60 years and it's really getting old.

Offline Joerfe

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 103
« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2018, 08:07:32 am »
One thing I would say is I had a Gibson with the robot tuning. I didn't like it personally, but I don't mind tuning my guitar. I actually found it took longer with it.

I wouldn’t mind the robot tuner. Especially if I was playing in different tuning I would find it useful.
When you see bands in the hard rock segment they often either re-tune to another tuning or have multiple guitars. In this case it would be a handy feature.
/Jesper

Sigma SOMR28H, Fender Classic '50s Tele, Fender Std Stratocaster, Gibson lpj '14, BOSS Katana 100-212 amp.
Me on da Soundcloud https://soundcloud.com/jesper-j-rgensen-11

Offline Barnezy

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 10
Gibson Les Paul Standard HP 2018 - I'm in love?
« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2018, 08:33:34 am »
Joerfe, trust me having owned one with it, it is a gimmick. It would sometime not be able to find the tune on one string and would go back and forth until I stepped in to get it close enough. Changing stings wasn't as smooth as you'd be winding against the servos. At first I thought it was great but the shine quickly wore off and when I got my Strat, I realised it was unnecessary. I'd understand it before clip on tuners, but now it's so easy.

Stitch101, I think your observations are spot on. Gibson bashing is a national sport on here, mostly coming from a contingent who pride themselves on buying "value" alternatives. The thing is even if you personally like Gibson or £3k for a guitar isn't a lot of money for you, you will still be hammered with why they're rubbish and some Far Eastern alternative is better. I remember when I had just bought my Aston, this guy said to me "ha ha why did you buy that, they always break down. haha" (it never broke down), when I asked him what he drove, it was a Toyota MR2. Eventually you learn to sound these people out.

Guitars: Collings OM2H, Martin Dreadknought Junior, Fender MIA Std Stratocaster, Admira A2 Classical

Offline Joerfe

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 103
« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2018, 09:12:39 am »
Joerfe, trust me having owned one with it, it is a gimmick. It would sometime not be able to find the tune on one string and would go back and forth until I stepped in to get it close enough. Changing stings wasn't as smooth as you'd be winding against the servos. At first I thought it was great but the shine quickly wore off and when I got my Strat, I realised it was unnecessary. I'd understand it before clip on tuners, but now it's so easy.

Fair enough. I never played one myself.
I am a member of a danish fb group for guitarists, and when that subject has been discussed quite a few chimed in and where pleased with it. Others were not.
I guess there may have been some issues on some version <shrugs>.

Regarding the Gibson bashing. I have a LPj 2014 which I like a lot. I bought it new when I was in my first year of playing the guitar. Would I buy a LP today I would definately look more towards other brands to get more guitar for my money (and also second hand).
BUT I perfectly understand falling completely for a guitar. Really not much to do other than to buy the damn thing.
/Jesper

Sigma SOMR28H, Fender Classic '50s Tele, Fender Std Stratocaster, Gibson lpj '14, BOSS Katana 100-212 amp.
Me on da Soundcloud https://soundcloud.com/jesper-j-rgensen-11

Offline J.W.C.

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 24
« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2018, 10:19:41 am »
- Can you guys give your opinion on this guitar?
Looks pretty sweet. :)

- What about the Automatic Tuners? I've heard horror stories and quite the opposite?
Personally, I can't say that I care for the robot tuners. But it wouldn't be a deal-breaker. (After all, if it turns you to don't care for it or it breaks/wears out, you can replace it with a set of locking tuners, etc.)

- What about the Figured Maple Top? Is it like that or can it vary? And if so how much?
They vary. The maple is categorized into grades, with the most impressive/figured pieces going to the most top-shelf instruments. However, within a given grade (and different guitars of the same model will normally have the same grade) the tops should be somewhat similar in their degree of figuring. Often, an online picture isn't the exact instrument. Something to be aware of.

If you buy online, make sure about the return policy. Instruments vary. I personally prefer buying instruments that I've actually played, but I know a lot of people have had positive experiences buying online, and as long as you're comfortable with the return policies, you should be okay.

Offline m_c

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 33
« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2018, 09:55:22 pm »
I have one question for you m_c. How many Gibson Guitars have you owned or even played?
I hear all kinds of things about Gibson and most of it comes from people who have never owned on.

I'll be the first person to say Gibson isn't for everyone,  but just because you have read afew comments on the internet
doesnt make you an expert. Gibson bashing has been going on for 60 years and it's really getting old.

None. I did look at them briefly, but then bought a singlecut PRS SE, so that style of guitar is currently covered.

I'm well aware of the whole Gibson bashing thing, but the comments I've seen are from people I'd trust. Even the Gibson owners comment that you often have to try several to get 'the one'.

If I really wanted to bash Gibson, I'd just mention their current financial situation. Lots of people are wondering if they'll survive the year in their current form...

Offline Barnezy

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 10
« Reply #23 on: January 13, 2018, 11:02:54 pm »
All companies go through times of hardships especially in a fickle market like guitars. Gibson is to big a brand for it to disappear and would get bought up if the need arises.

I doubt it helps them that people who have never owned one, are happy to dish out criticisms on public forums though.

I know Gibson is just a company that has a sole objective to return profits to its shareholders, like any business, but it is sad that people ignore the history and innovation they have bought to the guitar. It is actually the Japanese knockoffs in the 70's from the likes of Ibanez and Tokai that stunted the growth of these US companies and their ability to build the highest quality instruments due to price pressures in the market, hence why their best guitars are considered to be ones before this period.

Gibson and Fender are now in this weird place in the market. If people were willing to pay slightly more for their guitars they could mass produce to a quality standard of custom shop. However due to lower priced products from the Far East and their need to remain competitive, we all get lower quality goods whoever we buy from.

If I were Gibson I would increase the quality levels of Epiphone to the top Tokai standard and use their size to dominate the market and squeeze them. Then only have $2500+ guitars in the Gibson range and raise the quality standards up so there is no comparison.

Offline m_c

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 33
« Reply #24 on: January 14, 2018, 12:24:24 am »
The big problem with Gibson, is their current boss, who seems to have an inane ability to shoot himself in both feet quite often.

In the endless chase for 'growth' they bought up various companies, took on a colossal amount of debt, and are now facing a vast proportion of that debt maturing this year. With their current junk rating, it's not looking good.

There is a lot of resentment over their whole model year thing, along with some very large price increases. One often laughed about thing is their yearly 'even more historically accurate' reproductions, which they then use as justification to inflate the prices even more. It's not really good for customers who bought previous years true historic, to then be told it wasn't really that truly historic, and this years is even more truly historic.

Then there was the fiasco a couple years ago, where they dumped a pile of stock via Amazon warehouse in the UK, at well below list prices (we're talking 40-60% less!). Good for those who got a cheap Gibson, but not so good if you had paid anywhere near retail.

I will say Gibson do produce good guitars, and I would quite like one at some point, but their business practices leave a lot to be desired. However they're not alone in that. Fender is rumoured to be using some questionable stock valuing practices, but at least their boss is far more open and realistic about the future of the guitar industry, and not burying his head in the sand.

There are some good interviews on youtube. I can't find the Henry one I seen last year where he really came across as having no touch on reality, but this gives you a good idea of the man in charge of Gibson - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DKZb3aqjl1k
And for comparison, here's an interview with Fender's boss - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x9aRyCwUDwY

But to the OP, if you want a LP, get one.
They are iconic guitars.

Online stitch101

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 152
« Reply #25 on: January 14, 2018, 01:21:27 am »
For someone who doesn't own a Gibson you sure seem to read and watch a lot about them.
So how long have you been a member of AGF? That's the same [email protected]#% they spend most of their
time worrying about.
Everyone knows Henry is not easy to work, for, but what I can never figure out is why people who don't
own, work or own shares in Gibson spend so much of their free time discussing Gibson on Guitar
forms. And it's always the some old crap. Sorry about the rant but I have heard all the same stories
about Gibson since I bought my first one in 1979 and it is getting old.

Offline DarrellW

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 78
  • What on earth was I going to do???
« Reply #26 on: January 14, 2018, 03:58:25 am »
I think there is something that is being missed here, yes Gibson’s are a premium brand and along with Fender have been so for many years.
Tokai has been cited as being detrimental to Gibson’s wellbeing due to their prices and quality, we need to remember that Tokai made guitars for Gibson (and Fender) when they couldn’t make them fast (or cheap) enough!
Having handled and played both side by side to me the only really obvious differences are the name on the headstock and the price, for people who want a Gibson OK, pay the extra and have an iconic guitar, for those who want a great guitar for a workhorse or just to enjoy you really can not beat the Tokai, but the MIJ is more expensive than the MIC, whilst the MIC is good it’s nowhere near as good as the MIJ, it’s like the difference between Gibson and Epiphone.
My singing sucks so I’m learning Guitar and Ukulele, it’s fun 🌟

Offline Barnezy

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 10
Gibson Les Paul Standard HP 2018 - I'm in love?
« Reply #27 on: January 14, 2018, 09:52:50 am »
DarrellW Tokai made a choice in the 70's that it was going to become a knockoff brand, when it turned its back on Martin and started to make copies under their own branding. Ibanez was doing the same making knockoffs of Samuel Ibanez classical guitars. After that Tokia must have realised it was more profitable to just copy classic designs than actually create anything. The blatancy of it is shameless. Their first Les Paul was called "Les Paul Reborn" and on Fender copies they made the Tokai decal look like Fender on the headstock.

I know there are a lot of people who own and like them on here and that's great for them, but personally I have no respect for companies that steal IP and make knockoffs, regardless of how good they are.

Where they are now is irrelevant, as the damage had already been done in the 70's.

Imagine creating a brand and flagship product all of your own, only to then see the below flood in and destroy your market.

Sent from my iPad using JustinGuitar Community mobile app

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 387
  • Teesside, North East England.
« Reply #28 on: January 14, 2018, 10:08:04 am »
@ de_conne

back on topic

Have you yet or are you planning on going to any shops to get your hands on the Gibsons they stock to play some? That has gotta be a lot of fun in is own right. It will also give you a personal feel and sense for whether you can determine if there are differences between guitars.
It could help you decide whether or not those differences are substantial or minimal.
It could help you decide that, even if there are differences, are the guitars all 'top quality instruments' all of which you'd be more than happy to buy and play.

And what others have said about returns is true for buying online.
Distance Seller Regulations.

Offline m_c

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 33
« Reply #29 on: January 14, 2018, 10:08:28 am »
For someone who doesn't own a Gibson you sure seem to read and watch a lot about them.
So how long have you been a member of AGF? That's the same [email protected]#% they spend most of their
time worrying about.
So using that logic, I'm only alllowed to read about and comment on Fender and PRS?
And not research about items I'm thinking about buying?

I don't think I've ever been on any american guitar forum, other than when searching for specific, usually technical, info, as I can't be doing with dealing the cliques and inability to have open unbiased discussions about things.

Get The Forum As A Mobile App