Author Topic: Request for songwriting course  (Read 464 times)

Offline IceNein

• Good Vibes 0
Request for songwriting course
« on: January 10, 2018, 06:10:22 am »
Justin,

I really appreciate the positive attitude you have, and your ability to communicate with your students.

I think it would be really cool if you could do a basic and intermediate songwriting course.

A basic course might consist of keys and how to choose which key you want to use for your songs, common chord progressions in a key, and alternate progressions you might use to spice things up.  What scales to use to compose the lyrical melody and how that influences the chord progression. Song structure (i.e.: Verse, Verse, bridge, chorus, verse, chorus, etc...).  The end goal would be to be able to write a simple song to be accompanied by an acoustic, or clean electric guitar.

An intermediate course might focus on different genres that you have lessons for.  It would be more focused on song structure, rather than rhythm mechanics, or technique.  I would expect that the intermediate course would be more "vague" and focus on standards in a style, with suggestions about variations.

You have done a great job of getting players to be able to play their first song, but I think it'd be great if you could find a way to help players play their first song, if you get what I'm saying.

It's great to be able to play songs that express the way you feel, but it's better to be able to write songs that express the way you feel.  In some ways I feel like guitar instruction is poetry appreciation, rather than creative writing.  I would like to develop skills to be able to express myself creatively.

If you have spent the time to read and consider this, thank you

Offline Christof

• Good Vibes 0
Re: Request for songwriting course
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2018, 08:53:07 am »
I would second this.

Get The Forum As A Mobile App