Author Topic: Strings on multiple guitars  (Read 740 times)

Offline jono

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 10
Strings on multiple guitars
« on: January 04, 2018, 02:02:00 pm »
Hi all

Somehow I have ended up with five guitars and play each regularly. I know people suggest string changes every couple of months but does it depend on the amount of play they get. As long as the strings are wiped down after use and look OK is it reasonable to look at a change every six months.

Jono

Offline Barnezy

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 10
Re: Strings on multiple guitars
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2018, 10:51:25 pm »
There are a lot of factors that contribute to the speed at which your strings degrade. You just need to change them when you hear they've lost their edge.

Sent from my iPad using JustinGuitar.com Forum
Guitars: Collings OM2H, Martin Dreadknought Junior, Fender MIA Std Stratocaster, Admira A2 Classical
Amps and Pedals: Blackstar HT1R, Boss GT1
Favourite Styles: Finger Style, Blues, Folk, Rock
Favourite Guitarists: Knopfler, Clapton, Greenwood, Jimmy

Offline m_c

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 33
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2018, 11:39:16 pm »
What Barnezy says, but some people actually like old dull sounding strings.

As long as the guitar is still holding tune well (older strings tend to be harder to tune), and still sound OK, I wouldn't rush to change them. Although it is quite refreshing when you fit a new set of strings and realise just how dull the old ones were.

Offline jono

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 10
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2018, 10:49:23 am »
Thanks guys.
That's sort of what I was getting at. As you don't really notice the strings are dull until you change them what signs are there that they need changing  (apart from dirt). I will go by the them holding their tuning.
I have got to stop buying cheap guitars on Gumtree.

Sent from my [device_name] using JustinGuitar Community mobile app

Offline Joerfe

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 106
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2018, 01:20:42 pm »
I change mine at least once every 6 weeks to 2 months. Sometimes before that if they can't stay in tune. But it all comes down to how much you play, how acid your sweat is and if you remember to wipe the strings after palying. And of course there is the difference from string make to another.
/Jesper

Sigma SOMR28H, Fender Classic '50s Tele, Fender Std Stratocaster, Gibson lpj '14, BOSS Katana 100-212 amp.
Me on da Soundcloud https://soundcloud.com/jesper-j-rgensen-11

Offline Barnezy

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 10
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2018, 02:07:42 pm »
What Barnezy says, but some people actually like old dull sounding strings.

As long as the guitar is still holding tune well (older strings tend to be harder to tune), and still sound OK, I wouldn't rush to change them. Although it is quite refreshing when you fit a new set of strings and realise just how dull the old ones were.

On this point, I fitted some different strings to my Martin DJR. Initially I hated them but now they are over 6weeks old, I really like them. However the strings I used before on it sounded great initially and dull by 6 weeks. So I guess it's also to do with the tone you want from them also.

At the moment I'm trying different strings on each change, to find the ones I like. I'm just changing them when I either get bored of the sound or they get really dull. I don't think there's any hard and fast rule to it.

Sent from my iPad using JustinGuitar Community mobile app
Guitars: Collings OM2H, Martin Dreadknought Junior, Fender MIA Std Stratocaster, Admira A2 Classical
Amps and Pedals: Blackstar HT1R, Boss GT1
Favourite Styles: Finger Style, Blues, Folk, Rock
Favourite Guitarists: Knopfler, Clapton, Greenwood, Jimmy

Get The Forum As A Mobile App